• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV Goes Whole Hog

Yup. It's official. JV has thrown in with The Hog. It looks like the end of a multi-year scam that ends with him going into business with the very people he was supposedly fighting with to change cycling's doping landscape.

So long. Thanks for all the fish, and F you. I feel sorry for all those who believed the crap that came out of your non-stop public relations campaign.

Seriously, you cannot trust anyone in this farce of a sport.

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yup. It's official. JV has thrown in with The Hog. It looks like the end of a multi-year scam that ends with him going into business with the very people he was supposedly fighting with to change cycling's doping landscape.

So long. Thanks for all the fish, and F you. I feel sorry for all those who believed the crap that came out of your non-stop public relations campaign.

Especially anyone who dresses the way he does.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

you've been doing a good job of late defending him what now?

Is this the grand climax which JV has been working towards? Rather than coming public with his and his team's involvement in USPS, the idea was that he could work slowly from the inside to bring about the decisive changes which could be part of the solution. He didn't want Landis going public, was it because he was trying to protect the Hog and thus his future power play?

Is teaming up with one of the natural enemies of clean cycling another "marriage of convenience in order to achieve greater things further down the track", or simply a way to enhance one's personal ambitions?

I'm sure JB likes more TTTs too.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I only defended him on the Trent Lowe issue, which I feel is nothing more than a contract dispute botched by Lowe's advisor.
That is one opinion.

Of course I think JV knew exactly what he was doing with regards to Trent Lowe. He calculated that move for about a year. He held information to use once it was good for him. That is my opinion.

So where is the story of JV and the Hog?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
That is one opinion.

Of course I think JV knew exactly what he was doing with regards to Trent Lowe. He calculated that move for about a year. He held information to use once it was good for him. That is my opinion.

So where is the story of JV and the Hog?

+1. Straight out of The Hog's play book!

Can't say that this is much of a surprise. JV and JB are perfect bedfellows.
The Rebels 11 will try to play this off as a move toward a better, cleaner cycling--free of the mismanagement and mishaps of Paddy et al. The cynic in me believes entirely different.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
+1. Straight out of The Hog's play book!

Can't say that this is much of a surprise. JV and JB are perfect bedfellows.
The Rebels 11 will try to play this off as a move toward a better, cleaner cycling--free of the mismanagement and mishaps of Paddy et al. The cynic in me believes entirely different.

This is how the leagues JV publicly reveres were established. The AFL was a loose collection of new franchises in a new league. Joe Namath made the relatively modest investment each of those owner's made absolutely priceless.
The group of 11 (and don't put too much stock in JB being involved; he's jumping on the bandwagon) may pull it off or just do what really counts-make the UCI work for them. The problem they'll have with this transition and the Public Catharsis they'll claim the sport will undergo is this: they'll own the results. Meaning if they can't also control ASO, WADA and other associated Bodies of Interest and a new pre-eminent Cycling Star gets busted; it'll be totally on them. They better get it right or even us pathetic dreamers will abandon the sport.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Oh, so somehow it's okay if the UCI is in business with the very same people? Look, all JV is doing here is dumping a corrupt UCI. He has no control over doping practices on other teams. And he's not "going into business" with other teams since there is very little money in cycling - nothing like the NBA or NFL or FIFA with their millions of dollars in revenue from stadium gate receipts.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Is this the grand climax which JV has been working towards? Rather than coming public with his and his team's involvement in USPS, the idea was that he could work slowly from the inside to bring about the decisive changes which could be part of the solution.

You are misrepresenting JV's role and stated goals. How was JV ever going to "bring about changes to the sport" when he clearly has no control, knowledge, or authority to oversee other teams?

He never said that. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Second, there is no point in JV coming clean about what he did at this point. Maybe he's keeping it hush because he testified to the federal grand jury - how do you know? I don't see what purpose it serves if JV admits anything or not. He essentially has admitted it (by not denying it). If you read between the lines, he doesn't come clean because he basically doesn't want to give his current sponsors any needless negative PR by dredging up his past.

So long as JV is staunchly anti-doping in the way he runs Garmin - which from all accounts he appears to be - that's good enough for me.

TERMINATOR said:
You are misrepresenting JV's role and stated goals. How was JV ever going to "bring about changes to the sport" when he clearly has no control, knowledge, or authority to oversee other teams?

He never said that. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

It's not my argument - it's an argument which has been repeated many times in this forum. That JV is better positioned to change the sport from within, in due process, rather than just unleashing chaos on the sport.

JV is often seen as a beacon of clean cycling, someone with whom we can trust and who is willing to improve the sport for the better. Whether he wants to be portrayed in that way I'm not sure.

The point is, will people continue to hold that perception of him, whilst he's trying to setup "new cycling" with one of the most notorious dopers and dopers of athletes in the past two decades.

BTW - Gate receipts in the biggest sports pale in comparison to TV rights revenues. Most major football clubs couldn't get 11 men on the pitch based simply on gate receipts.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The one thing I've agreed with the Hog about is that teams, and thus riders, deserve a bigger share of TV revenue. I understand how he can be an ally of Vaughters in this area.

JV teaming up with JB. You'd think he'd want to keep his distance if only to wait and see what comes out of the federal investigation. He's not some bystander waiting to hear about it in the news, he knows what it's about, he knows what he was supposed to tell to the feds and what he allegedly encouraged his own riders to tell. Bah.

hrotha said:
JV teaming up with JB. You'd think he'd want to keep his distance if only to wait and see what comes out of the federal investigation. He's not some bystander waiting to hear about it in the news, he knows what it's about, he knows what he was supposed to tell to the feds and what he allegedly encouraged his own riders to tell. Bah.

From what I've heard recently the UCI are going to be caught in a big way in the Lance scandle. A new approach has been taken. Its a little less about Lance and a little more UCI and Lance. Watch this space. This will be the impetus for Vaugters. Pat knows it as well.

BroDeal said:
Maybe race organizers should get part of the teams' sponsorship money. :)

The Vaughers plan has a backer. The riders, teams and races will be more than happy to join. The backer is willing to bankroll for 3 years. They UCI will not be able to compete. The Hog knows this is his "in". We may all hate the Hog but believe me he hasn't enjoyed suck1ng off Hein for the last 10 years. I think he'd prefer a place where the Hog is free to make money without having to pay bribes.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Does this (the desire to split) offer any credence to rumors that some in cycling think the UCI is going to be non-functional (explicitly or by association) at the end of the U.S. federal investigation?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
The Vaughers plan has a backer. The riders, teams and races will be more than happy to join. The backer is willing to bankroll for 3 years. They UCI will not be able to compete. The Hog knows this is his "in". We may all hate the Hog but believe me he hasn't enjoyed suck1ng off Hein for the last 10 years. I think he'd prefer a place where the Hog is free to make money without having to pay bribes.

Hhat makes you believe this new ProCyclingLeague will be any less corrupt than the UCI? It seems it is open to total corruptness without federations.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Look, all JV is doing here is dumping a corrupt UCI. He has no control over doping practices on other teams.

Right. And, apparently JV can't be bothered to exercise control over doping practices on his own team, either. Promising start to a clean league.

Like I said in another thread, who wants to bet that we won't be seeing many positive drug tests coming out of this newer, more professional league? Clean cycling, indeed. Clean image, that is.

Benotti69 said:
Hhat makes you believe this new ProCyclingLeague will be any less corrupt than the UCI? It seems it is open to total corruptness without federations.

This. I love that Vaughters and CN and everyone else is evoking the NBA, the NFL, F1, etc. as models. Really? The only reason the general public thinks cycling is the dirtiest sport is b/c these other sports don't use adequate controls.

Privatizing a league = more PED use to increase profit and less incentive to pursue cheaters. If only Sinkewitz would have gone for another year without getting popped, he could be on the 2013 Tour podium.

C'mon, Vaughters. Don't base your model on these ethical failures/economic successes.

Tibbs has a sad. :(

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I must be missing something here. Is there some news that says JV and the Hog are driving the bus on this? If anyone is in charge it is RCS/ASO. JV and others will have input but I doubt he is in charge.

The Hog could be tied up fighting extradition for the next few years so I would not put too much hope in him being a big part of this.

Race Radio said:
I must be missing something here. Is there some news that says JV and the Hog are driving the bus on this? If anyone is in charge it is RCS/ASO. JV and others will have input but I doubt he is in charge.

The Hog could be tied up fighting extradition for the next few years so I would not put too much hope in him being a big part of this.

Check the Hog's tweets.... he's been grounded by the UCI so in his spare time he's cooked up a plan with JayV.