• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Katie Compton

indeed.

wonder how long KC was at it, btw. did she have a sudden bump in results back in the day, or a noticeable decline in recent years?
She's been doing well for a long time. Reported allergies being a factor for poor European showings over the years.

Going purely off memory, has been declining but slowly and given her age, not at all surprising and somewhat Valverde-esqe. Forte has been combo of killer sustained power and good technique.

Yeah, I'd like to believe that this was an attempt to stay relevant at the end of her career, but if you rode clean against her over the last 20 years and lost you're not laughing.

I'd like to know more about what the biopassport irregularities were that triggered a second, presumably more expensive and complicated test, but I guess that's a secret so as not to tip off other athletes.

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
....woulda got away with it if had not been for that pesky bio passport.....

Mark L
there's one more issue... the biological passport is full of markers.. only to be revealed if the CI test was perfected.. and guess what?... that information has been sold... already several times... but Katie obviously wasn't privy to that.

Yeah, I'd like to believe that this was an attempt to stay relevant at the end of her career, but if you rode clean against her over the last 20 years and lost you're not laughing.

I'd like to know more about what the biopassport irregularities were that triggered a second, presumably more expensive and complicated test, but I guess that's a secret so as not to tip off other athletes.
With testosterone I’d assume a suspicious t/e ratio or just elevated t levels. You can have up to 4:1 t:e so could’ve been somewhere close to that but under. Then the isotope test would be the definitive confirmation. Seems it’s a lot harder legally to bust someone for levels being off (which we see is a problem with blood doping) than simply finding actual proof of a foreign substance which is what the isotope tests do.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
With testosterone I’d assume a suspicious t/e ratio or just elevated t levels. You can have up to 4:1 t:e so could’ve been somewhere close to that but under. Then the isotope test would be the definitive confirmation. Seems it’s a lot harder legally to bust someone for levels being off (which we see is a problem with blood doping) than simply finding actual proof of a foreign substance which is what the isotope tests do.
you're on the right track... they are working on a new CI test which will become the standard for initial testing because the price is going to be substantially less. It will soon be impossible to escape "being lit up by testing" even with naturally occurring hormones... unless you have access to the hidden markers

Reactions: Ripper
Compton seems to be getting huge benefit of the doubt in all this. She's had six months of no-one knowing about her initial positive while she tried to fight it and now people are pointing out all the ways contamination is possible, without pointing out that if the meat athletes are buying is so likely to be contaminated, there would probably be a lot more positives (unless these just aren't being reported, I should really check the lab reports).

Reactions: CJCycling
I doubt eating a meat serving would elevate her testosterone levels to the point of being detected by the bio passport. If she was eating huge amounts of meat per day I could maybe believe it was possible, but it would still be farfetched.

If it was a supplement, then shame on her. Nowadays it's super easy to buy supplements that are tested for prohibited substances by WADA.

She is either lying (most likely) or it was a contamination by the lab/person who took the sample.

I doubt eating a meat serving would elevate her testosterone levels to the point of being detected by the bio passport. If she was eating huge amounts of meat per day I could maybe believe it was possible, but it would still be farfetched.

Contamination from food is possible (clenbuterol has been one product identified as a food contaminant) , but it adds an extra layer of complexity on top of contamination from supplements because of the associated biology of the animal. It requires that the steroid is given to the animal and either it or its metabolites remain in the animal until it is slaughtered. They then have to survive any post processing, storage, prep and cooking and get absorbed at appreciable levels to be detected. If the animal is being given huge doses, c.f. clenbuterol, it still only turns up in trace amounts. I really do struggle to believe that this is the cause.

Compton seems to be getting huge benefit of the doubt in all this. She's had six months of no-one knowing about her initial positive while she tried to fight it and now people are pointing out all the ways contamination is possible, without pointing out that if the meat athletes are buying is so likely to be contaminated, there would probably be a lot more positives (unless these just aren't being reported, I should really check the lab reports).
I have seen this throughout my life especially in the military and then in competitive sports. I got it from the toilet seat, I went to a concert everyone was smoking around me, I must have rubbed against something that had LSD or cocaine on it. It's in the food, or raw ingredients of a meal is silly. Supplements I will always see as suspect..but I remember when Floyd had his list of blame..he included Jack Daniels!!
it's a sad segway when lots of these racers plan to coach,work as product reps or work for the federation developing riders..a doping conviction trashes most options.
She was a great racer, awesome tactics and attitude. Now some will see this as negative punctuation on her career,but for many,myself included,in constant question about when she was clean and when she wasn't.

If it was a supplement, then shame on her. Nowadays it's super easy to buy supplements that are tested for prohibited substances by WADA.

She is either lying (most likely) or it was a contamination by the lab/person who took the sample.

Oral PEDs also general have very short half lives so that’s always a bad excuse from the beginning, except for certain substances.

How many folks that would crucify Contador are of the sympathetic opinion now? Not that that's remotely relevant to this case but her camp's defense plays on the high legal cost of defense (and disparity of female athlete income as an additional handicap for proof of innocence) and the benefit of the doubt regarding historical bio passport files. This is an unfortunate situation at best for all involved.

How many folks that would crucify Contador are of the sympathetic opinion now? Not that that's remotely relevant to this case but her camp's defense plays on the high legal cost of defense (and disparity of female athlete income as an additional handicap for proof of innocence) and the benefit of the doubt regarding historical bio passport files. This is an unfortunate situation at best for all involved.
Agreed on Contador and I'm pretty certain that there will be people who condemned Sha'Carri Richardson for something that clearly shouldn't still be on the banned list (it's there because of the "war on drugs" and has remained because the USA reps recently argued against its removal) which she admitted to and accepted her punishment, who are now more than happy to give Compton the benefit of the doubt. Favourites always come into it and people are rarely objective in this area. My issue is she's the second high profile USA athlete who seems to have been given much more leeway to prove her innocence before the positive was announced.

The defence she's given has the same problem many do; if it's true it's highlighting the real issues many athletes face, particularly female athletes, when it comes to proving innocence (and I do think that the current anti-doping procedures and the banned list aren't really fit for purpose), but it's also the exact same defence someone who is lying would use.

TRENDING THREADS