• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Katusha IN

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
skidmark said:
I agree with you in principle about Argos and that they shouldn't be in the WT, but in the races you list, they did win like 5 stages of the Vuelta last year, which is more than a lot of teams did to show themselves.

I also love to see Argos kicked out, but there is no way UCI kick out a team backed by one of it's major sponsors.

Had a quick look for WT Wildcards decided so far - any others ?:

P-N: Cofidis, IAM, Sojasun, Europcar
Tir-Ad: MTN-Qhubeka, Katusha, NetApp, Vini Fantini
MSR: MTN-Qhubeka, Androni, Katusha, IAM, Bardiani, Vini Fantini, Europcar
Catalunya: ?
E3: ?
G-W: AccJW, Crelan-Euph, Topsp Vl, Cofidis, Europcar, IAM
Fland: ?
VPV: ?
P-R: ?
AGR: Katusha, NetApp, + 2 TBA ?
FW: ?
LBL: ?
Rom: Europcar, IAM
Giro: Androni, Bardiani, Colombia, Vini Fantini
Dauph : Bretagne-S-E, Cofidis, Europcar, NetApp

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Any team the UCI kick out will probably sue the UCI, and probably win. Maybe they will cut the number of riders per team, maybe they will just ignore their own rules.

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
After so many mistakes made by UCI (read Pat) when will he understand that he must resign. He made his position impossible after this autum and winter.

Resign Pat!!!

/Fritz

Cutting the number of riders per team is something I've wanted for ages. However the current WT teams are going to argue (with justification) that they've budgeted for, paid for and made promises to their current riders based on 9 going to the GTs, 8 going to the classics etc. Plus UCI's favourite team Sky will probably hate the idea so I can't see this happening. I'd bet on money talking and the less influential teams getting shafted

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
I've read something about 6 riders per team experiment in 2 WT races this year.

That would be good. Perhaps Canada? Worked really well at the Olympic RR I thought, where the actually race was far better than the parcours suggested it might be.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
I agree with your point although at Flanders and Roubaix they have a very decent team in Degenkolb, Veelers and Kort.

Which is exactly why Argos-Shimano should just revert to a wild card team if the WT is going to cut any team, in order to remain an 18 team entity. I'm sure if the selectors for Flanders and Roubaix agree with you, they will include them in their start lists. Bravo for Katusha, they deserve the WT slot.

nowhereman said:
Which is exactly why Argos-Shimano should just revert to a wild card team if the WT is going to cut any team, in order to remain an 18 team entity. I'm sure if the selectors for Flanders and Roubaix agree with you, they will include them in their start lists. Bravo for Katusha, they deserve the WT slot.

Based on that argument they could cut any team they wanted, after all, if they are good enough then the organisers will invite them as a wildcard.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
skidmark said:
I agree with you in principle about Argos and that they shouldn't be in the WT, but in the races you list, they did win like 5 stages of the Vuelta last year, which is more than a lot of teams did to show themselves.

they've done 4 gt;s in recent years, how many stages did they win in all those other gt's? 1...

their tour participations especially have been a joke. and last years vuelta wins with degenkolb. there was no sprinting competition. I'm sure they will win 0 stages in all the gt's this year

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
really? what great results have I missed then in those races by them?

19th by Degenkolb in his first PR even is pretty decent you have to say. Lots of potential by him.

Kort stands a chance of Top 20 at best in PR, Veelers Top 50 ? :p

Ryo Hazuki said:
anything that requires judges is no sport, gymnastics first. that's for a circus, not the olympics
Ski jumping. Otherwise I pretty much agree with you.
skidmark said:
Argos already got more wildcards than they knew what to do with, it was nice to have the occasional race where they weren't wasting an invite.
Cykelbloggar said:
After so many mistakes made by UCI (read Pat) when will he understand that he must resign. He made his position impossible after this autum and winter.

Resign Pat!!!

/Fritz
Pat's like Lance: he's in it for the long haul. He'll only let go of power when he's been physically dragged away.

Ryo Hazuki said:
really? what great results have I missed then in those races by them?
Degenkolb was 19th in his first Roubaix, has shown the skills to go the distance (5th in San Remo) and also has a top10 in Harelbeke. Kort was 3rd in Waregem and seemed to be turning into a decent classics rider this last year. Veelers has finished 6th at Kuurne, 13th at Roubaix, top10 at Waregem, Het Volk.
Some WT teams would be lucky to have them for the cobbles.

greenedge said:
If 19 WT teams +4 are kept GT squads should be only 8 riders- it would hopefully stop Sky.

They had only eight for much of the Tour last year, but it didn't dent them:(

Acquarone has already said he will discuss with UCI next week, and there has to be a quick decision as otherwise the race organizers will be in trouble.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Should be, top 18 teams with wins/placings (this year only) pre Giro/Tour/Vuelta or any other big race get in, as in get the guaranteed spot. Odd team out gets to play their cards with the Wild Cards, with the regular Wild Card rules what ever they may be.

Would make for some good racing for us, and isn't that what its all about. For those saying it will get crazy for the lesser placing, well that's why its racing not powder puff.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Should be, top 18 teams with wins/placings (this year only) pre Giro/Tour/Vuelta or any other big race get in, as in get the guaranteed spot. Odd team out gets to play their cards with the Wild Cards, with the regular Wild Card rules what ever they may be.

Would make for some good racing for us, and isn't that what its all about. For those saying it will get crazy for the lesser placing, well that's why its racing not powder puff.

Would also make conditions right for actions that might result in Clinic discussion as well.

There is already little certainty for the Pro Tour teams without making it even more uncertain, plus the wildcards for the races will be filled soon, so there'll be no places to play their cards for.

What's more, making the lowest-ranked WT team sit out is a guarantee that they can't pick up the points to move away from being the lowest ranked team, so it's a death sentence for their hopes at continuing at that level and/or attracting new riders in the offseason, because they would then miss every race.

Instead, they should make the highest-ranked WT team sit out so that others can catch up, meaning they only miss out on one or two races before getting another chance to rebuild their score :D