• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kelly Benefit Strategies - Medifast Pro Cycling

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
KBS-Medifast is a fairly new team, around since 2007 I believe. They're a young stage racing and crit team, with many good sprinters. I'm still learning about them, but I'd say they're what's right about American pro cycling. I'm told the Canadian David Veilleux, who won the first U.S. Espoirs race ever held (last year), the U23 Tour of Pennsylvania, is injured and currently not competing. Veilleux's career highlights are:

1st Overall American Eagle Outfitters Tour of Pennsylvania, 2008
1st Under-23 Canadian National Time Trial Championships, 2007
1st Under-23 Canadian National Time Trial Championships, 2006
1st Under-23 Canadian National Road Race Championships, 2006
1st Overall Tour de l'Abitibi, 2005

Nice start to a young career. Other riders include Andy Bajadali, who won Redlands last year, Alex Candelario, who got second at U.S. nationals in criterium last year and won the Tour de Nez the year before, 19-year old Cheyne Hoag, who won Longsjo last year, 21-year old Jake Keough, who was nipped at the line for 2nd at the U23 U.S. national criterium last year, 19-year old Shane Kline, Rider of the Year at last year's World Series of Bicycling, Zach Bell, Canadian track sprinter who is the Canadian individual pursuit champion for 2004 and 2005, Jittery Joe's veteran Neil Shirley, who took the KOM jersey at the Tour of Utah in 2006, Dan Bowman, a veteran of KBS who took 2nd at the Tour of Virginia in 2007, Jake Erker, another Canadian veteran with a long list of palmares, veterans Scott Zwizanski and Johnny Sundt, both with a long list of wins and veteran Reid Mumford who was second at the 2006 U.S. national road race. Other riders for 2009 are Australian Clay Murfet and American Ryan Andersen, both very promising.

KBS is what's right with American (and dare I say Canadian) cycling. This is a team in stark contrast to a team like Rock Racing. This team is as clean as they come, and is promoting cycling the way it should be done: working hard, winnning races, developing youth cycling, and staying away from the Rock Racing in-your-face mentality so common in American television advertising. We don't need a team of unrepentant dopers like at RR. So I give you KBS in stark contrast, an example of what's right in North American cycling, and I encourage us all to support them.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
CapeRoadie said:
KBS-Medifast ... I encourage us all to support them.

I'm a big fan of Reid Mumford (featured not too long ago here at Cyclingnews), so I will do my best to follow KBS this year. I wish them the very best, and look forward to seeing them have a winning season.

Dave

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree that KBS-Medifast is a team to watch this year. They are another team benefiting from the demise of the Symmetrics team, picking up Erker, Bell, and Anderson (who is another canuck and not american!). Erker had an excellent Redlands with a third on the final stage and Bell took home a track world's silver in the omnium. I hope that Veilleux heals up quick and can improve on his strong year last year.

Bajadali and Candelario also had a typically strong Redlands. It was too bad that the team missed out on an invite to the Tour of California.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Captain Chaos said:
what's up doc! I'm mean CapeRoadie.

yea, your boys are all right but can they take Kenda? We will see at Bakkinhill!

Team Kenda seems like a good "Elite" team, but comparing them to KBS-Medifast? And as you had said, we will see at Battenkill!:)