• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Keys for Farrar to beat Cavendish at the line?

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
What tactics does Garmin have to employ for Farrar to have best chance to beat Cavendish at the line. The piece from WSJ below may suggest one approach.

"Mr. Farrar beat Mr. Cavendish at Tirreno Adriatico because the lead-up to the finish was so fast that Mr. Cavendish had little left in the tank as the finish line approached. “It was the fastest final five kilometers that I’ve done this season,” he says. “Tactically, the sprint unfolded in the right way and I had a clean road to do my sprint. It was certainly a good day.” http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204556804574262052695661582.html

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The run ins to the finish at the Tour are faster than any other race in the world. All the teams with sprinters will be keeping it as high as possible. They are often doing over 60km/h over the final few kms.

This didn't seem to bother Cavendish last year.

If Columbia get Cavendish anywhere near the front at anything like the right time it's more or less a dead cert that he wins.

Other guys can win if Cavendish gets blocked in, has to touch the brakes or gets the timing wrong.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
cavendish went a bit too early in tirreno as he followed petacchi and farrar was in the perfect position to capitalise. cant see the same thing happening again the be honest

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree - I think the only way that Cavendish can get it wrong is by going too early and fading.

As he showed in milan - san remo going to late just doesn't seem to be an issue for him.

with no Boonen, mcEwen, Steegmans, Petacchi it's pretty much going to be Cavendish vs Hushovd and Freire, with guys like Farrar, van Hummel, Van Avermaet bubbling under.

Cavendish could feasibly win them all.

Well, now he has got Boonan to contend with.;)

Farrar's chances of beating Cavendash;) and also Boonan, Hushovd, Friere, Haussler and at least one "Johnny French Guy", such as Feillu, are pretty slim, to say the least.

Doing well if he can bag a top 3.

Still, you can't have it all.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Well, now he has got Boonan to contend with.;)

Farrar's chances of beating Cavendash;) and also Boonan, Hushovd, Friere, Haussler and at least one "Johnny French Guy", such as Feillu, are pretty slim, to say the least.

Doing well if he can bag a top 3.

Still, you can't have it all.

Yea, he just doesn't have that extra kick to make it happen. This is the Tour, and unless there is a crash in the last 500m, he is looking at 2nd being a great ride.

The real interesting thing will be to see how various teams handle lead outs. What we have seen alot of recently is Columbia dominating the leadouts giving Cavendish a great spot. Cervelo has been doing the same thing alot of the times but I don't think the two trains have gone head to head for real yet.

I wonder if we will see two parallel leadouts so that there are two wheels for other sprinters to follow or if they will just converge into one team taking the lead over the other.

For Farrar I think he needs to grow some more hair on his balls. In the giro he was even pushed off the wheel of his own leadout man at times so if you fail at that then you have no shot at holding the right positions with the other big boys.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My personal opinion is that Ferrar is being over hyped. I think he is a good sprinter, but not a great sprinter. I also think it is bunk to say that Cav lost the sprint in TA due to the speed being too high for the finale. WHAT? Those are the types of sprints that Cav kicks **** in. Ferrar is still young and will get better, but I see other sprinters having better chances of beating Cav...Boonen, Freire, Thor, van Hummel, and maybe even Benatti. We will see....

TRENDING THREADS