• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kierin

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Keirin holds a special place in my mind - as the equipment is so tightly regulated it gets down to the cyclist, in many ways, yes?

Madison events - you could say they have died, but kierin lives. This is another thing about it that attracts me.

You?

ianfra

BANNED
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Keirin holds a special place in my mind - as the equipment is so tightly regulated it gets down to the cyclist, in many ways, yes?

Madison events - you could say they have died, but kierin lives. This is another thing about it that attracts me.

You?

Kierin in the West and under UCI is very different from the Japanese gambling tracks! At the national events here in Thailand, the motorpace comes from an old scooter (Honda Dream or something like that)

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
horsinabout said:
This is classic old footage here - two great quotes, commentator "a nervous look on Nakano's face" I wonder why?

Singleton "It all happened so quick" ....I'll say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx_5pQSWdRY&feature=share&list=PLLVeiI2cYX7LTcylTXOV0G4xWMoOJ0sF4

Koichi Nakano was the best sprinter to come out of the Kerin school.

A Kerin classic.

http://youtu.be/3uBN65cT7p0

horsin: re the Nakano vs Singleton match video - who do you think was at fault for Singleton's fall? I thought it was pretty obvious, based on the vid, but what do I know? :D

Singleton was clearly out of the sprinter's lane (for the second time).
Under the rules of the day (and today) he faced disqualification,
especially after getting a bit of a reprieve in the Keirin. In the Keirin
he was clearly the fastest, but in those days the Keirin was still more
of a race for 6-day/endurance riders.
There is little doubt Nakano had a little more professional savvy and
experience than Singleton, and he used it, but it cannot be disputed
that Singleton did not hold his line and could possibly have been
disqualified even if there was no crash....he certainly would have
been if he rode like that in 2012. That is not to say that Gord was
not the faster man on that day though. Sadly we will never know.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
That was what I thought - Singleton looked to me to be aiming for the contact. And, when Nakano mostly avoided it, Singleton was then off-balance, and went down. When I watched his interview afterward, I could not help but lose respect for Singleton. Altlhough track was not my thing back then, on watching this, and the interview with Singleton, I believe I remember these events, even if only in bits and pieces.

hiero2 said:
In Japan the women's keirin riders have their helmets
colour coded with front tri-spoke and rear disc and they
use carbon fibre bikes. See Kaarle McColloch's twitter
for video and picture links to the International Women's
Keirin in March of this year.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The blobby helmets? They look like a cross between a boxer's headgear and those TT mushrooms we saw at the London Olympics! I see shoulder pads - but they look lighter than the men's - and no arm protectors. Still riding with toe clips?

Of course - the extra weight - no mountains to climb here, eh?

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
That was what I thought - Singleton looked to me to be aiming for the contact. And, when Nakano mostly avoided it, Singleton was then off-balance, and went down. When I watched his interview afterward, I could not help but lose respect for Singleton. Altlhough track was not my thing back then, on watching this, and the interview with Singleton, I believe I remember these events, even if only in bits and pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfHAxc0RH0&list=PLLVeiI2cYX7LTcylTXOV0G4xWMoOJ0sF4

Starting at 4:08, the incident at 7:00, but the whole video is pretty good

Not sure how long Bill Huck has been working
with Cycling USA, but young Matt Baranoski
finished second behind Joachim Eillers and
ahead of Maximillian Levy in the Keirin at the
Cottbusser SprintCup last weekend. Maybe
the Americans are getting serious about track
again...let us hope so!!

TRENDING THREADS