• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Killing the fatted Cav

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
...with Cipollini dissing Cav in the press about having a few extra pounds, it must really sting to then have Renshaw lead out Goss over Greipel...

...even Robbie pushed his walker into third.

Garmin? Nada.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There are two sticky threads for the TDU already.

Glad to see the fine tradition of Cav-bashing threads continues in 2011. I have to admit I thought we wouldn't see one until either Cav or Greipel actually WON something, but I under-estimated the trolls once again.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It's great to be fat as improvement comes really quick once you start losing it, just ask Jan the man. Nothing wrong with being a little overweight at the beginning of the season. There is a guarenteed improvement to look forward to for Mark and other "fatties".

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
There are two sticky threads for the TDU already.

Glad to see the fine tradition of Cav-bashing threads continues in 2011. I have to admit I thought we wouldn't see one until either Cav or Greipel actually WON something, but I under-estimated the trolls once again.

Dude, I LIKE Cav...

...as for Trollishness, you are one to talk. :rolleyes:

May 20, 2010
Visit site
He has no intention of honestly racing until april. Of course he put a little bit of weight on. he is one of the superstars of cycling and will have attended many a boozy dinner during the off season.

Anyone got pictures of him in January 2009? Bet he looked pretty similar.

Threads like these **** me off because there is enough men with eating disorders in pro and amateur cycling, let alone men and women in society.

Why shouldn't Cav just chill? His two most likely leadouts are Aussies who will want to impress (in the hope of getting Greipel's old role), he may as well give them the chance to shine in their home race.

Cav came 62nd, not like he was really putting in the sprinting effort there. Farrar, Chicchi, Brown and others were down there too.

Weird thread, seems a little earlier than usual.

Having said that, by the end of this week if Goss wins the overall and a couple more stages we'll have several people happily digging out the rubbish they wrote about Griepel last year and changing riepel to oss.

I don't know why they don't save time and work out who next year's 'obviously held back by HTC and will beat Cav next year' rider is - Leigh Howard?

roundabout said:
It's truely impressive how some decided that a legitimate issue of HTC not even taking Greipel to Sanremo is now rubbish.

Fanboys. :rolleyes:

Why didn't they take Goss? Evidence of today is he's at least as fast, and he has a very solid reputation on hills. Perhaps the team has quite a few riders, can pick who they like, taking a view on sporting and team morale issues. The riders are employees, and their teams don't owe them access to whatever race they wish.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:
He has no intention of honestly racing until april. Of course he put a little bit of weight on. he is one of the superstars of cycling and will have attended many a boozy dinner during the off season.

Anyone got pictures of him in January 2009? Bet he looked pretty similar.

Threads like these **** me off because there is enough men with eating disorders in pro and amateur cycling, let alone men and women in society.

I'd say March.

I assume he'll try to win some stages in either P-N or T-A and target MSR to some degree.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
It's truely impressive how some decided that a legitimate issue of HTC not even taking Greipel to Sanremo is now rubbish.
Fanboys. :rolleyes:

Mark_Renshaw [Tweets]:
Cav just wants to go home to be with @petatodd but he is stuck here looking at my a$$

Cavs in a good mood haha http://twitgoo.com/1toupw
16kidf.jpg

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
suipedali said:
Cav hurt! It's just a bloody scratch! Poor Cav had to share the road with some cars, oh didums. Get real!

Yeah, and listen to the BS of this so called Gorilla of nature:

Cavendish said right from the get-go he hadn’t brought his A-game Down Under, even though he was in good form for January: “Obviously, I’m not in Tour de France form right now,” he told VeloNews. “I haven’t raced in January since I turned professional.”

The gorilla of a man, who says he got his preternatural strength from his mother, also indicated his lack of a stage win so far could be attributed to the newness of his team; after all, it took a good couple of months before his former team-mate turned adversary Mark Cavendish (HTC-High Road) got their lead-outs down to a T. “We are a new team and we have to start working with each other,” Greipel said, currently second overall after three stages. It may also be his reduced weight is costing him a little in outright speed; this time last year he had already won two out of three legs.

“I’m not going to bust a gut to be as skinny as I can to win here,” Cavendish said. “It’s nice to win races but I’ve got bigger goals – the Tour de France, Milan-San Remo, the world championships. I’m not going to go full-gas right now.”

[http://velonews.competitor.com/is-cav-a-?]

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I reckon the Gorrila should be more concerned with the way he was easily burned off by the youngster Mathews than slagging his teamates.

Cav has a point - the organisers ****ed up, that should never happen even in a juvenile race.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
suipedali said:
Poor Cav had to share the road with some cars, oh didums. Get real!

You know thats not the point. If the roads are no longer closed he and the other riders have to deal with traffic and the laws there in. If he did not make the time cut for the stage we would be out and it wouldn't exactly be his fault.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
I reckon the Gorrila should be more concerned with the way he was easily burned off by the youngster Mathews than slagging his teamates.

I'm willing to give Greipel the benefit of the doubt at this point. Last year he knew he wasn't going to get many chances to ride for himself, so he made sure he was in great early-season form so he could dominate at the TDU. This year he knows that he will be going to M-SR and the TdF so it wouldn't surprise me if he is taking it a bit easier with his training at this point of season.

Also his team has not done him any favours, on a couple of stages they have appeared to have their train in place and ready to rock with 3km to go, only to have it evaporate and force Greipel to fight for wheels and start his sprint too far back.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cav has a point - the organisers ****ed up, that should never happen even in a juvenile race.[/QUOTE]

I've been away from British Cycle Sport for a while. Apart from Time Trialling, when did Juveniles start Road Racing on the open roads?

TRENDING THREADS