• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Killing the fatted Cav

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
suipedali said:
Cav hurt! It's just a bloody scratch! Poor Cav had to share the road with some cars, oh didums. Get real!

Look up Jempi Monsere for an example of what can happen when cars and cyclists mix on a what should have been a closed race route.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Look up Jempi Monsere for an example of what can happen when cars and cyclists mix on a what should have been a closed race route.

This is it.. Bikes and cars dont mix in bike races as its a recipe for disaster, OK juveniles dont race on open roads (yes I got that wrong) Juniors can though so hopefully that tester guy is satisfied now.

Anyway Plenty of British testers have been killed riding on open roads during competition so I dont know where that guy was coming from.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The fact that it was Cav is not important.

Three riders were left racing to complete a stage within the time limit on open roads, in what purports to be a world-class international cycling race. It's an embarrassment to the race organisers and an embarrassment to the Pro Tour.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
The fact that it was Cav is not important.

Three riders were left racing to complete a stage within the time limit on open roads, in what purports to be a world-class international cycling race. It's an embarrassment to the race organisers and an embarrassment to the Pro Tour.

As you say the fact that it was Cav is unimportant as there were three riders out there, but it makes you wonder if we would have heard anything of this lapse in security if it wasn't for Cav's penchant for voicing his opinions so openly and colourfully with the media profile he enjoys. Maybe this time his "big mouth" is working on the side of good if it prevents it happening again.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Cav has said or done anything to annoy me since pre-tdf last year. I'm optimistic that his difficulties early last year helped him grow up a lot.

He's completely right to draw attention to the mishap of opening the roads early.

I'm sure his form is fine for now. He'll want to be in shape for MSR, Tour, and Worlds so it would be foolish to be in shape now.

Think this happened in other events before though - im sure a rider(s) finished outside the time limit in the TdF a few years back but got let back in because there were people all over the road. Then again maybe they were looking for an excuse not to kick people out.