• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kimmage interview on CN

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Just saw this. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/paul-kimmage-20-years-on-from-rough-ride

Particularly liked these bits

Kimmage is also disparaging about Contador's justification for his Clenbuterol positive test at this year's Tour de France.

"His excuse that his meat was contaminated is laughable. It's a ****ing insult to our intelligence," he says.

"After the Dauphine Libere I couldn't see how he could improve so much in time for the Tour. He wasn't the same guy we'd seen in the past and had a lot to do. But he got there and won the Tour but then tested positive for Clenbuterol..."

"Now I'm not a man of science but for me the key to it was the day of the test. When I found out it was on the second rest day, that was the give away for me."
"I saw a French guy I used to race with a couple of years ago and he said 'there's absolutely nothing wrong with the sport of cycling that a bit of truth and honesty can't sort out,' He's absolutely right. That's the essence to it all."

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This!

"For example I saw that Andy Schleck offered his support to Contador the other day. I couldn't fv<king believe that. Nobody stands up for the clean guys, who were screwed and ignored. Nobody has made a case for them. Riders lose their credibility when they say they want to retain their friendship with a rider involved in a doping scandal."

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
When Rough Ride was published in 1990, Pat McQuaid was an ambitious Irish cycling official, making his way through the halls of power and one of my sternest critics at the time. He dismissed the book saying that only the small guys dope. But I recognized that the sport had a real problem with doping and the problem was made worse by the UCI.

Mcquaid with the usual bulshiit about small guys so nothing changes after all these years. good interview- enjoyed it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
"His excuse that his meat was contaminated is laughable. It's a ****ing insult to our intelligence,"

An insult indeed. And to imagine that still so many Spaniards took that story.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'll assume Kimmage gave this interview standing up, b/c as we all know, he's not worthy of the chair he sits on :p.

Great to see Paul still has a bit of p*ss and vinegar in him! But can somebody expand on this quote:
"...for me the key to it was the day of the test. When I found out it was on the second rest day, that was the give away for me."

I'm a bit confused by that. I thought Clen was used as a weight-loss agent, allowing rider to get lean w/o losing muscle mass. So why is Kimmage saying "2nd rest day" was the dead give-away?

Explanations pls. Thanks

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
NashbarShorts said:
I'll assume Kimmage gave this interview standing up, b/c as we all know, he's not worthy of the chair he sits on :p.

Great to see Paul still has a bit of p*ss and vinegar in him! But can somebody expand on this quote:
"...for me the key to it was the day of the test. When I found out it was on the second rest day, that was the give away for me."

I'm a bit confused by that. I thought Clen was used as a weight-loss agent, allowing rider to get lean w/o losing muscle mass. So why is Kimmage saying "2nd rest day" was the dead give-away?

Explanations pls. Thanks

I think he is referring to the theory that Contador underwent a blood transfusion on the 2nd rest day, and that the clen was residual from previous use (at the time the blood was originally extracted).

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Kimmage's 1990 book was a real game changer..I saw everybody around me doping..but I didn't do it. The Contador case has gone in the totally wrong direction. The UCI's policy should be you are not allowed to compete with a banned substance in your body..no matter how it got there. @ years and move on..they said he was positive this is not biopassport BS..it's in the blood

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
A question for cyclingnews.com.

Why are You issuing profanities in this Article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/paul-kimmage-20-years-on-from-rough-ride

For Example:

"For example I saw that Andy Schleck offered his support to Contador the other day. I couldn't *******:eek: believe that. Nobody stands up for the clean guys, who were screwed and ignored. Nobody has made a case for them. Riders lose their credibility when they say they want to retain their friendship with a rider involved in a doping scandal."

And:

His excuse that his meat was contaminated is laughable. It's a ******* :eek:insult to our intelligence," he says

Is there not a law against issuing such profanities in website news articles?

Have You Your profanity filter switched off ?

Or is it malfunctioning ?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Obviously at the moment the UCI want Pellizotti to go down but Contador to get away with it, so Its quite a sad state of affairs really.

Kimmage is spot on with what he said.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The Devil said:

For Example:

"For example I saw that Andy Schleck offered his support to Contador the other day. I couldn't *******:eek: believe that. Nobody stands up for the clean guys, who were screwed and ignored. Nobody has made a case for them. Riders lose their credibility when they say they want to retain their friendship with a rider involved in a doping scandal."

And:

His excuse that his meat was contaminated is laughable. It's a ******* :eek:insult to our intelligence," he says

I'd find more offence in anything that comes out of McQuaid's mouth than any of the anglo-saxon words Kimmage used and CN reported.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Though from an ethical point of view I couldn't care less, it is true that the swearing doesn't help diffusing messages such as Kimmage's.
For instance, no way that a Spanish journal will draw on this article, for the plain reason that it sounds too aggressive, and that never helps if you want to be taken seriously.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Amplified Commode Blow

I believe this is what JV would consider a media "Farticle".

Especially the part about shunning Alberto even before the complicated science is all done.

I like it!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I believe this is what JV would consider a media "Farticle".

Especially the part about shunning Alberto even before the complicated science is all done.

I like it!
There shouldn't be any complicated science.A list of substances that if found in your sample(s) get you suspended. No explanation needed. No I jammed a needle in my rump daily..down to I got it from the toilet seat..or contaminated meat.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
There shouldn't be any complicated science.A list of substances that if found in your sample(s) get you suspended. No explanation needed. No I jammed a needle in my rump daily..down to I got it from the toilet seat..or contaminated meat.

How're the toes?

How was the pub circuit on the LES?

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:

For Example:

And:

Yes, there's 'a law' that makes it illegal to use profanity anywhere on the Internet. That's why you won't find such words on any website throughout the world.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:

in this particular case, I think it is helpful to see just how f***ing angry Kimmage is about the topic. I think we all know that the man knows how to use the King's English in its proper manner. It's an interview, not an OP-ED piece. I'd rather read how the man feels, not how he self-edits for publication.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
in this particular case, I think it is helpful to see just how f***ing angry Kimmage is about the topic. I think we all know that the man knows how to use the King's English in its proper manner. It's an interview, not an OP-ED piece. I'd rather read how the man feels, not how he self-edits for publication.
When did Liz die?;)

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:

Only your brain is malfunctioning and/or switched off.

sniper said:
Though from an ethical point of view I couldn't care less, it is true that the swearing doesn't help diffusing messages such as Kimmage's.
For instance, no way that a Spanish journal will draw on this article, for the plain reason that it sounds too aggressive, and that never helps if you want to be taken seriously.

Only for the faint of heart and the hypocritical.

Why is it that a world that's so full of sh!t, has such a hard time taking in dirty words by the puritanical and mannered public? Obviously I've answered my own question in its delivery. Perhaps we are just too used to hearing things delivered with PC that we have lost our taste for the vulgar and the direct. I think it's time, however, that we hear more strong and emphatic denouncements of the likes of Kimmage, because the polite talk we get from the "level headed" among the establishment hasn't gone far enough in getting the message across. I'm not saying that vulgarity is always preferable, but at times it is absolutely indispensable and refreshing to hear. Sometimes such is the only thing that saves us from being mean hypocrites.

Actually the Spanish would probably have less to get annoyed about in the work's content than in its context.

TRENDING THREADS