• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kimmage interview on CN

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Kimmage used profanity in a proper context. There simply is not a more appropriate form of words to describe doping and the attitudes towards doping among pro cyclists. I have never read Kimmage before but he tells it exactly how it is.
Anyone who has competed knows there was an unnatural jump between the Dauphine race and the tour for Alberto. Alberto unlike other riders(Armstrong, Schleck) always race to win, not race to train. Except when he has gifted, like to Andy and Piti for instance, a thank you gift Alberto gives.

Guys like Kimmage do not need graphs, these are the kind of guys I appreciate none of the power meters, heartrate monitors of crit checks needed. I appreciate old school guys like Kimmage and the Badger, they really have nothing to gain or lose, they do not care whose toes they step on and they have nothing to gain.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
jimmypop said:
Only your brain is malfunctioning and/or switched off.

Is that supposed to be an insult or an attempt at a sense of humor

Either way it's pretty lame . Blah blah Blah.

Your Scraping the bottom of the barrel ,dude.

BotanyBay said:
Paul Kimmage. 'Keepin it real.

Then we went from the problem of doping being addressed, to the problem being managed."
"It's not just me saying it, it's Pierre Bordry, and WADA. Now, we're getting select positives, select reading of the biological passport and it’s not good enough. Pat has recently said that doping in the sport is not as bad as it was a few years ago."

"It's too easy to say lets all move on folks, when there has been no accountability for the last 20 years. People need to acknowledge their part in it all and there should be no part of them in the sport," he argues.

"I'm losing my patience with the good guys too. They can't have it both ways. We can't change things without upsetting people. I say: 'Stand up and speak out'. If they don’t, they won’t have the respect of the public and things won't change."

"For example I saw that Andy Schleck offered his support to Contador the other day. I couldn't f---ing believe that. Nobody stands up for the clean guys, who were screwed and ignored. Nobody has made a case for them. Riders lose their credibility when they say they want to retain their friendship with a rider involved in a doping scandal."

& BTW sometimes people do need to shaken with "profanity" so the message at least sticks for a while-instead of hearing fairy tales with hollow/mean-less messages.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
& BTW sometimes people do need to shaken with "profanity" so the message at least sticks for a while-instead of hearing fairy tales with hollow/mean-less messages.

Try using profanities with Law Enforcement Officer's. The only message You will get is a $500 fine from a Judge.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
This guy is disgusting.
Can't understand that people still give him a platform to talk. He disqualified himself with his ugly descriptions for Lance. Enough is enough.
Tone makes the music.

I really admired Lance on and before that ToC pressconference - because he didn't kick the s*** out of Kimme and because he still talked to him relatively "nice".

I really, really admired him for that and I still do. :cool:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
This guy is disgusting.
Can't understand that people still give him a platform to talk. He disqualified himself with his ugly descriptions for Lance. Enough is enough.
Tone makes the music.

I really admired Lance on and before that ToC pressconference - because he didn't kick the s*** out of Kimme and because he still talked to him relatively "nice".

Lance is a truly fine human being. He has class and his actions overburst with love.
Truly Kimmage made a mistake attacking Armstrong. I only wish Kimmage had attacked Armstrong before stage 8 of this years tour so that Lance could unpack his suitcase full of anger upon the pedals on the climb.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
but Kimmage isn't insulting a Law enforcement entity-he's insulting a corrupted institution who's destroying our sport

Well I know he is not insulting law enforcement officers. But I really don't think Kimmage can pull any punches in his articles , no matter what he say's, that's going to knock out the UCI or Doping in Cycling.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why Kimmage is so miffed about Schleck lending support to Aldirto.. figured he'd be used to that stuff by now. Schleck isn't going to trash Clentador for doping when he knows everyone else is doing the same thing.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
"Lance is a truly fine human being. He has class and his actions overburst with love".

I am rubbing My eyes in disbelief with this statement. You gotta be Kiddin Right? Mr Flicker.

flicker said:
Lance is a truly fine human being. He has class and his actions overburst with love.
Truly Kimmage made a mistake attacking Armstrong. I only wish Kimmage had attacked Armstrong before stage 8 of this years tour so that Lance could unpack his suitcase full of anger upon the pedals on the climb.

"I just like the way Kimmage handles himself. If you check out the you tube where Lance notices Kimmage, I think it is from 2008, watch Armstrongs body language. Kimmage has major clout in cycling."

From your good self on another thread.

Cobblestoned said:
This guy is disgusting.
Tone makes the music.

What has he said that is inaccurate?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:
"Lance is a truly fine human being. He has class and his actions overburst with love".

I am rubbing My eyes in disbelief with this statement. You gotta be Kiddin Right? Mr Flicker.

Stick around, Diablo. It gets better...

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
What has he said that is inaccurate?
Nothing. But the nasty axe-grinding Mr Kimmage used the C-word to describe Armstrong's return to fight Cancer. Nasty, nasty Mr Kimmage!

Transcript of Paul Kimmage's radio interview in Ireland, 9/10/08:

"My reaction to Armstrong coming back? ...the enthusiasm that I had built up about the sport in the last couple of years has been all but completely wiped out in the last couple of hours.

Let's turn the clock back to Armstrong's last apparition in the sport. The Tour de France 2005. He's standing on the podium. And he makes this big impassioned speech. Which is basically saying 'The last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics, the sceptics: I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.' That was 2005, his last ride in the the Tour de France. And the people flanking him on that podium were Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich. And a month after that race ended the French newspaper L'Equipe reported that in his first winning Tour de France, in 1999, Armstrong had tested positive for EPO. Six separate samples taken during that race revealed positive tests for EPO.

This return, he wants us to believe that it's all about saving the world from cancer. That's complete bull****. It's about revenge It's about ego. It's about Lance Armstrong. I think he's trying to rewrite his exit from the sport. He's sat back and he's watched the last two years and he cannot stand the idea that there are clean cyclists now that will overtake his legacy and buy the memory of all the crap that he put the sport through.

When I heard it being mooted first that he was coming back, I thought well that's fine, because the first thing ASO are going to say is 'sorry Lance, we've seen your results from the 1999 tests , you're not coming back.' I expected a similar statement from Pat McQuaid. What's happened instead is that Christian Prudhomme has said 'yes, you can come back, no problem.' And Pat McQiad has said 'I really admire this man, he's a tremendous ambassador for cycling.' What we're getting here is the corporate dollars and the money that's going to accompany this guy back into the game. The money that's going to bring for Nike, one of the big sponsors of the Tour. And for the UCI, who have been experiencing some serious problems in the last couple of years.

Much as you want to say the sport has changed, as quickly as they can change their own opinions - McQuaid, who says one thing in private and quite the opposite in public, and Prudhomme - if they can change so quickly then I'm sorry, it's really very, very difficult to have any optimism with regard to Armstrong and the way the sport was moving forward. For me, if he comes back next year, the sport takes two steps back.

I spent the whole Tour this year with Slipstream, the Garmin team. That wasn't by accident. I chose that team deliberately, because of what they were saying about the sport and the message they were putting out. But also the fact that so many of that team had raced with Armstrong during his best years and knew exactly what he got up to. And the stuff that I learnt on that Tour about him and what he was really like was absolutely shocking, really shocking.

What's going to happen now is he comes back and everybody's going to wave their hands in the air and give him a big clap. And all the guys who really know what he's about are going to feel so utterly and totally depressed. And I'm talking about Jonathan Vuaghthers, who raced with Armstrong that first winning Tour and who doped. And if you look at that Tour, Armstrong's first win, there were seven Americans on that team. Frankie Andreu has said he used EPO. Tyler Hamilton has been done for [blood doping]. George Hincapie was exposed as a doper by Emma O'Reilly, the team soigneur. Christian Vand Velde and Jonathan Vaughters . both are members of Slipstream and would promote the notion that this was not a clean team by any means. When you look at that and what Armstrong's done and how he's seemingly got away with it, it just makes his come back very hard to stomach.

Astana's the absolute perfect team for him. He'd be renewing his old acquaintance with Bruyneel, who wanted to hire Basso last year. Will he be renewing his old acquaintance with Ferrari, the famous doctor? Will Bruyneel be taking pictures of the questioning journalists and pinning them on the side of his bus?

When Armstrong talks about transparency, this is the greatest laugh. When he talks about embracing this new transparency . I'm really looking forward to that. I'm really looking forward to my first interview request with him and seeing how that comes back. Because that would really make it interesting.

This guy, any other way but his bullying and intimidation wrapped up in this great cloak, the great cancer martyr . this is what he hides behind all the time. The great man who conquered cancer. Well he is the cancer in this sport. And for two years this sport has been in remission. And now the cancer's back."

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

Attacking is no problem.
But he went too far. 2 steps too far.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Attacking is no problem.

Agreed, Armstrong went too far when he attacked Kimmage. Lance just ended up looking foolish with his pre-planned histrionics.

"After the Dauphiné Libéré I couldn't see how he could improve so much in time for the Tour."

I don't quite understand this comment which keeps coming up. At the Dauphine Contador was clearly the strongest climber in the race, but his TT wasn't very good. In TDF he was the second best climber in the race, and his TT wasn't very good there either. Honestly, I can't see the "huge gain in form" people are talking about. There are other people with far more suspicious form, such as Andy Schleck, Menchov (went from being dropped early in every mountain at dauphine to a 3. place overall at TDF), Cavendish, Samuel Sanchez (completely invisible in dauphine)...

I'm not saying Contador didn't dope between the Dauphine and the TDF, just that this particular comment is ridiculous.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Attacking is no problem.

I do not know if Kimmage is suffering from the 'Hating standard';
Jealous angry bitter hating 7tdf winning type hater, or if Kimmage suffered 1 to many pub-crawls sandwiched between David W. and Greg L. who scream the mantra Floyd blah blah blah Lance blah blah blah while poor Kimmage just tries to soothe his soul with a bit of John Barleycorn.

flicker said:
Jealous angry bitter hating 7tdf winning type hater, or if Kimmage suffered 1 to many pub-crawls sandwiched between David W. and Greg L. who scream the mantra Floyd blah blah blah Lance blah blah blah while poor Kimmage just tries to soothe his soul with a bit of John Barleycorn.

Stop projecting Flicker.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
"After the Dauphiné Libéré I couldn't see how he could improve so much in time for the Tour."

I don't quite understand this comment which keeps coming up. At the Dauphine Contador was clearly the strongest climber in the race, but his TT wasn't very good. In TDF he was the second best climber in the race, and his TT wasn't very good there either. Honestly, I can't see the "huge gain in form" people are talking about. There are other people with far more suspicious form, such as Andy Schleck, Menchov (went from being dropped early in every mountain at dauphine to a 3. place overall at TDF), Cavendish, Samuel Sanchez (completely invisible in dauphine)...

I'm not saying Contador didn't dope between the Dauphine and the TDF, just that this particular comment is ridiculous.

Schleck and Menchov were most likely doped in the Tour. The Dauphine stage to Alpe d'Huez that was won by Contador was timed at around 45 minutes. I think Menchov lost 9 .27 Minutes on the Alpe to Contador , giving him a slower ascent time. These are times that You would associate with clean riding. Janez Brajkovic was second to Contador and given the same time. Contador was not clearly the strongest climber in the race. He attacked Brajkovic about 8 times on the alpe and could not drop him. But in the Tour Brajkovic was slaughtered By Contador. And we all know why that was. A huge gain Indeed.

And speaking about contador here is the latest news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...-to-take-action-against-Alberto-Contador.html

flicker said:
Kimmage used profanity in a proper context. There simply is not a more appropriate form of words to describe doping and the attitudes towards doping among pro cyclists. I have never read Kimmage before but he tells it exactly how it is.
Anyone who has competed knows there was an unnatural jump between the Dauphine race and the tour for Alberto. Alberto unlike other riders(Armstrong, Schleck) always race to win, not race to train. Except when he has gifted, like to Andy and Piti for instance, a thank you gift Alberto gives.

Guys like Kimmage do not need graphs, these are the kind of guys I appreciate none of the power meters, heartrate ors of crit checks needed. I appreciate old school guys like Kimmage and the Badger, they really have nothing to gain or lose, they do not care whose toes they step on and they have nothing to gain.

You have missed (made a tool of) the point to pursue your own base ends.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

Do you have any idea how immature you come across dude?

If your under 18 fair enough...If your over 18 ya need to get layed..even if ya have to get ya money out!:rolleyes:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Do you have any idea how immature you come across dude?

If your under 18 fair enough...If your over 18 ya need to get layed..even if ya have to get ya money out!:rolleyes:

Hey I want to hear what Kimmage has to say. I was joking OK. To call me immature is a complement though considering my age. Plus Jack London and Ernest Hemingway are 2 of my favorite authors and fond of the juice. Adults, legal OK.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Hey I want to hear what Kimmage has to say. I was joking OK. To call me immature is a complement though considering my age. Plus Jack London and Ernest Hemingway are 2 of my favorite authors and fond of the juice. Adults, legal OK.

You are only a Young fellow Mr. Flicker at 56 i belie:Dve.

TRENDING THREADS