• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kimmage interview on CN

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:
kimmage.jpg

"Damn these Amphetamines are KILLIN Me. Readin this paper is giving Me new ideas. Damn this Sport is hard. I think I shall become a Journalist. Ah I will blow the lid on this whole sorry episode in My life. I can never win without drugs. I am not makin much Money. Ah I will become a snitch and write about My Fellow professional's and the dirty deed's that they do. And I have done. Really I don't give a cr*p about, Kelly, Roche, ect. I can make a living out of snitching . Ah I will write a book " Rough Ride " It will be a big seller. I know I am going to make enemies but what the hell. I will earn Money."

SAPA990707718870.jpg

"I am proud to say that I am the original Mr. Clean. I am totally against doping. I was exiled from the Pro scene. But My conscience is clear. I will find something else to do. But i will not earn a living out of snitching" I am a better Man than that. I made a stance against Doping. I am proud of that."

Mr. Bassons You were a brave man indeed. It is a pity that there were not more like You.

Link or source for this?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:
kimmage.jpg

"Damn these Amphetamines are KILLIN Me. Readin this paper is giving Me new ideas. Damn this Sport is hard. I think I shall become a Journalist. Ah I will blow the lid on this whole sorry episode in My life. I can never win without drugs. I am not makin much Money. Ah I will become a snitch and write about My Fellow professional's and the dirty deed's that they do. And I have done. Really I don't give a cr*p about, Kelly, Roche, ect. I can make a living out of snitching . Ah I will write a book " Rough Ride " It will be a big seller. I know I am going to make enemies but what the hell. I will earn Money."

Kimmage was writing diaries for The Sunday Tribune, an Irish newspaper of his TdF experience. He was encouraged by David Walsh to write them. After he quit and for the same reasons he was encouraged to put it in a book. He named no one in his book. It was a very personal account of his time as a cyclist. It didn't make him a millionaire. If you have read it and any of his interviews you'd understand where Kimmage was coming from.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The Devil said:
kimmage.jpg

SAPA990707718870.jpg
Evidently you are unaware that Kimmage's journalism career started before A Rough Ride. In fact, if that pic is from the 89 Tour rather than the Giro, he was already a published journalist with a column in the Sunday Tribune.

If you have indeed read his book it is clear that you failed to understand it.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:
kimmage.jpg

Okay, you don't like Kimmage. You have made that clear. Maybe you should argue against his message, rather than attack the person.

Did you read his book? If so, I think you've missed the point of it.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Can't be, as Kimmage rode for Fagor in 89 only.:)

You're right, he did. But it is Martin Earley (wearing glasses) in the Fagor jersey. Roche rode for Carrera in 1987. Kimmage is the one in the RMO jersey, with Roche's cap obscuring his face.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Devil said:
kimmage.jpg

SAPA990707718870.jpg

"I am proud to say that I am the original Mr. Clean. I am totally against doping. I was exiled from the Pro scene. But My conscience is clear. I will find something else to do. But i will not earn a living out of snitching" I am a better Man than that. I made a stance against Doping. I am proud of that."

Mr. Bassons You were a brave man indeed. It is a pity that there were not more like You.

As has been noted - you must not have read the book as the only rider he said who doped along with himself was Andre Chappuis, who had agreed - he never said a word about Roche or Kelly doping.
Roche threatened to sue - Kelly is still friendly.

Also Bassons did write a book - it was called 'positif'.

Kimmage first started writing with a small Irish magazine, called (IIRC) Irish Cycling Review. From that he went on to write Tour diaries for the Sunday Tribune before eventually getting a job there.

The fotos - in his Fagor kit is 89 but the one where Roche is covering him is from 87.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
AngusW said:
You're right, he did. But it is Martin Earley (wearing glasses) in the Fagor jersey. Roche rode for Carrera in 1987. Kimmage is the one in the RMO jersey, with Roche's cap obscuring his face.
We're talking at cross purposes. I am referring to the picture that is in the original post by The Devil citing Kimmage's nefarious motives for writing Rough Ride.

T'other pic is indeed 87 as Dr M. pointed out.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
We're talking at cross purposes. I am referring to the picture that is in the original post by The Devil citing Kimmage's nefarious motives for writing Rough Ride.

T'other pic is indeed 87 as Dr M. pointed out.

My apologies, ultimobici. You're right, we are talking at cross purposes. I was looking at the wrong photo. :eek:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Kimmage is the outstanding sports journalist in the UK today.

Even other talented writers like Matt Rendell or Fotheringham do not come close.

The Samson/delihah interview with Cav last year was an amazing insight.

Kimmage does not pretend to be pure, I don't recall him being a grass, he understands his personal narrative and cycling's grand narrative are intertwined well beyond the extent of his palmares. He does not claim to be objective or impartial - he just rights it as he sees it and writes it bloody well.

I would love to see him reinterview Gilbert after the melancholy interview of, quite a few years ago now...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Kimmage is the outstanding sports journalist in the UK today.

Even other talented writers like Matt Rendell or Fotheringham do not come close.

The Samson/delihah interview with Cav last year was an amazing insight.

Kimmage does not pretend to be pure, I don't recall him being a grass, he understands his personal narrative and cycling's grand narrative are intertwined well beyond the extent of his palmares. He does not claim to be objective or impartial - he just rights it as he sees it and writes it bloody well.

I would love to see him reinterview Gilbert after the melancholy interview of, quite a few years ago now...

+1 that would be good

TRENDING THREADS