• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kimmage interviews Floyd Landis: Sunday Times + Bombshell NYVC transcript [merged]

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ludwig said:
Cycling media also consistently fails to put doping in its context. By that I mean the code of silence on doping and the testimony of whistleblowers like Manzano, Simeoini, Landis etc.

When newbies to the sport read about doping positives, they get the impression that dopers are a few bad apples, and the quotes in these stories (typically from team managers and members and UCI authorities, expressing their faux outrage) are meant to to bolster these false impressions. Newbies typically believe that there are clean riders and clean teams who are being cheated by the evil dopers, but honest accounts like that of Landis cast doubt on such illusions.

I don't know why Kimmage singles out Cyclingnews because I think Cyclingnews is slightly better than the competition. Certainly better than shamless omerta apologists ProCycling and Velonews. I think what Kimmage probably meant by that is forum discussion about the doping problem. As Landis has now admitted, doping in cycling is not something he alone can fix and trying to fix it is not going to solve his problems.
Not quite - Kimmage originally said "the next step is to stay away from Cyclingnews and all of the cycling websites".

The reason Cyclingnews was singled out later was because Floyd had either done an interview with CN or sent a statement saying he had retired.
Then the following day CN ran the "Floyd Landis calls for legalized doping" -which FL claimed was taken out of context.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
One really needs to take any cycling related comments from bitterman Kimmage with a grain of salt - he has a proven track record of not recognizing awesome even if it bites him in the keester.

Chomp.

And the only thing worse than listening to him whine at a press conference is reading some of his cycling writings.

Yikes. Bulwer-Lytton Prize worthy stuff...
It felt strange to be on the inside again; strange and mildly intoxicating. And they were such an interesting and eclectic mix. Lim regaled me for hours with tales of his ancestors in China. Vaughters told a story at dinner one night about a wine auction in New York when he’d found himself bidding, and losing, for a case of vintage Romanee Conti with “this guy who owns Manchester United, Roman Abramovich”.

I'll concede to having mixed feelings about Kimmage. Your quote from that piece about Vaughters and Lim is spot on....what an awful article that was. At the time it seemed like Kimmage had morphed into a journalist in the mold of Joe Lindsey (omerta apologist that pretends he's anti-doping). But that interview with Floyd completely redeemed Kimmage in my eyes as someone who's passion for the sport is unequaled. The piece reeks of authenticity. Alot of that is Landis, and alot is Kimmage's unique persepective.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Not quite - Kimmage originally said "the next step is to stay away from Cyclingnews and all of the cycling websites".

The reason Cyclingnews was singled out later was because Floyd had either done an interview with CN or sent a statement saying he had retired.
Then the following day CN ran the "Floyd Landis calls for legalized doping" -which FL claimed was taken out of context.

You really don't get it Dr. Ferrari. These cyclists love their medicine, nothing taken out of context in regards to Floyd.