• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

kind of a cheap shot

May 23, 2010
Visit site
"""Another legendary Gavia stage? I think we've had enough legendary stages in this Giro, thanks very much,” said Evans. “I don’t know the details of how Andy Hampsten won the Giro but if you've got to stop for hot tea, put on four jackets and let someone go because it's too cold, that makes the race a bit of a lottery. I'd rather race fairly with our heads and our legs than in those conditions""

hampsten-poster-trans-tm.jpg

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
No more of a "cheap shot" than calling Paris-Roubaix a lottery--which is essentially standard in the pro cycling vernacular, thanks to Bernard Hinault. Doesn't mean that anyone can win; just means that luck may choose the winner from the favorites group instead of some other factor. And I don't think Cadel meant to call Andy Hampsten an unworthy winner. I think it's a lot more likely that with 42 seconds between himself and Basso that Cadel simply wants to race hard against Basso without having to deal with frozen brake cables and non-functioning fingers on the descents. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.