• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

King Kelly and the 1992 Milan-San Remo

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
How can the 1992 Milan-San Remo not be on Cyclingnews.com's greatest Milan-San Remo moments list??? Sean Kelly does the descent of a lifetime to catch Moreno Argentin at the 1 km to go kite, then out-kicks him to win just clear of a fast charging field. To me, it remains the greatest M-SR finale ever, and nothing else comes close. Just my two cents.

Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jC6vGMEVXU

Sean Kelly under celebrated

Sean Kelly is probably one of the most under celebrated (outside Ireland anyway!) cyclists. I have heard him talk about the pressure to perform at so many different events over the season that he was never really able to show his best at the Grand Tour level...which is kind of funny considering he won the Vuelta in 1988! But I think what he means is that he was never fresh for the TdF - and again he still won the points competition 4 times and also finished in the top 10 no less than 4 times including a 4th in GC 1985. As an aside he won Paris Nice 7 times in a row in the 1980's and had nine wins across four of the classic monument races.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Kelly_(cyclist)

I think he is one of the few riders that can legitimately lay claim to be in the mould of the great Eddy Merckx himself - in fact he was sometimes called the new cannibal!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Kelly's win over Argentin is an amazing ride.

But note the piece on the CN site is not the top five best vintages, it is "five of the many big moments". Thankfully, because Claudio Chiapucci's Ferrari-assisted win is not very promising.

Look at the tale of Fausto Coppi in 1946, he attacked at 5km and took a handful of riders with him. He dropped them on the Turchino Pass to ride the second half of the race solo. Now that's a ride.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
stig fan said:
How can the 1992 Milan-San Remo not be on Cyclingnews.com's greatest Milan-San Remo moments list??? Sean Kelly does the descent of a lifetime to catch Moreno Argentin at the 1 km to go kite, then out-kicks him to win just clear of a fast charging field. To me, it remains the greatest M-SR finale ever, and nothing else comes close. Just my two cents.

Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jC6vGMEVXU

I agree. Given how dominant Argentin had been at Tirrenio Adriatico that year, very few people would have given anyone else a chance at the top of the Poggio. I superb ride by a superb rider. Probably the best MSR finish in the last 20 years if not ever.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Non Grimpeur said:
Probably the best MSR finish in the last 20 years if not ever.

Except of course that it wasn't in the last 20 years .... :p

But yeah - brilliant. Someone somewhere has all these old finishes on video cassettes waiting to be digitalised and put on youtube .... not me unfortunately - mine were on betamax (!) and my mum threw them out :mad:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I gotta agree...

Sean Kelly is fantastic and that single race finish exemplified his winning qualities!! Great video thanks!!!