• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
can you win three in a row without steroids?
what about oxygen doping? a sine qua non? well, certainly for the sprint stages following the mountains. let's see how he digests those.
for what it's worth, shimano are with mpcc.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
It seems like it'd be harder to tell if a sprinter was on the juice based on performance. The short explosive accelerations these guys give in the last few hundred meters of a flat stage are difficult to compare to say, a 6.5 watt/kg power output for 30 minutes of an HC climb.

Is he doping? You certainly can't write it off because this is cycling, but I dunno. Is it the consensus that Cavendish was/is doping? Because this is a very similar performance to some earlier Tours that he won 5 and 6 stages in.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sprinters dont dope?

Since when?

Ask Cipo!

Ask Kelly!

Ask Abdoujaparov!

Ask Eric Zabel!

Ask Petacchi!

Ask Maertens!

Nah sprinters dont need dope!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
i guess those who argue that sprinters only dope to get through the mountains (rather than for the actual sprints) could still argue that three tdf stages in a row in the first week of the tdf is within the realm of what is cleanly possible.
wasn't that zabel's excuse? that he only used epo to get through the mountains? did zabel ever admit to the use of steroids?
me thinks to do what kittel does you need an anabolic steroid treatment of some kind.

I'm more inclined to believe in sprinters. They're protected for the whole race with the whole team making every effort to keep them from expending energy so they can come out for a 10-20 second burst at the end.

They also need to be able to get over a few bumps with the front group every now and then to contest a sprint so they can't just pile on huge amounts of muscle like track sprinters.

However, I would not be in the least surprised if it came out that Cav, Kittel, Greipel or any of the other name sprinters were caught doping.

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Renshaw ****ed up a win today and Kittel was the best sprinter of the remaining bunch. You don't let yourself get boxed in after your team does an all out train for 4+km

Could Kittel be on something? Sure. I don't think today's 3rd victory is good proof of it, though.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
can you win three in a row without steroids?

Possibly. The same sprinters all do the same 10-20 second sprint at the end of three sprint stages, in theory barring falls or injury they all arrive at the next stage sprint as tired or as fresh as each other? Maybe the best guy just wins?

I would doubt just one guy is doing something either. One in all in sort of spirit I would say. So I pose another question, if they were all on steroids could one guy win three in a row? I think history as said yes to that one.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Kittel has made it look so easy, just like at the Giro.

disagree with the overall sentiment. what's more it seems like you're offering that as evidence. if so, dismissed. if I remember the quote correctly,

__________________ Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur....

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
skippythepinhead said:
All the sprinters are high--on life!

The rest of the peloton are a bunch of dopers though, except for each fan's favorite rider--he's surely clean.

That's a pretty tasty flavor of CoolAid you got there.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Sprinters dont dope?

Since when?

Ask Cipo!

Ask Kelly!

Ask Abdoujaparov!

Ask Eric Zabel!

Ask Petacchi!

Ask Maertens!

Nah sprinters dont need dope!

Have you read Maertens' autobiography? It looks like he didn't hold much back re dishing the dirt on the drugs.

The guy got dropped from the main group with 2km to go yesterday on stage 6...dopers don't get "dropped".

Seriously doubt the guy is doped. He can't climb, he is only good with a well organized train of 5 guys in front of him with reserves to spare, otherwise, he gets bombed off the back like a beginner Cat 5 racer in the bunch.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
The guy got dropped from the main group with 2km to go yesterday on stage 6...dopers don't get "dropped".
Of course they do.

zigmeister said:
Seriously doubt the guy is doped. He can't climb, he is only good with a well organized train of 5 guys in front of him with reserves to spare, otherwise, he gets bombed off the back like a beginner Cat 5 racer in the bunch.
Given it was after one of the toughest Tour stages in a long while and that he crashed I would not read too much into him getting dropped.

Some people will think that you cannot win as a sprinter in which case they will already have decided that he does.

Any evidence other than that? There is the UV blood treatment albeit that was legal. Anything else?

Don't be late Pedro said:
Of course they do.

Given it was after one of the toughest Tour stages in a long while and that he crashed I would not read too much into him getting dropped.

Some people will think that you cannot win as a sprinter in which case they will already have decided that he does.

Any evidence other than that? There is the UV blood treatment albeit that was legal. Anything else?

You are trying to make an argument about something which you are making no sense.

Funny, Sagan crashed as well...somehow finished 5th. So, he must be doped as well according to your "theory" and failed logic? Or since dopers get dropped all the time according to you in the sprints, Sagan must be clean, reverse logic when it fits your argument?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
You are trying to make an argument about something which you are making no sense.

Funny, Sagan crashed as well...somehow finished 5th. So, he must be doped as well according to your "theory" and failed logic? Or since dopers get dropped all the time according to you in the sprints, Sagan must be clean, reverse logic when it fits your argument?
I have read and re-read what you wrote and it still makes no sense to me.

Dopers can dropped. Clean riders get dropped. Just because someone gets dropped it is hard (impossible) to ascertain whether they are doping or not.

In Kittel's case him getting dropped could easily be because of the tough stage the day before or the crash. That does not preclude him from doping or being clean.

Kittel is not Sagan and visa versa. Sagan might recover from stage 5 better. His crash might have been less serious. He might be doping. Who knows?

Don't be late Pedro said:
In Kittel's case him getting dropped could easily be because of the tough stage the day before or the crash.

well, a doper could load up on testosterone and other recovery drugs and be fully recovered for the next day. Sure it doesn't "prove" he's clean, but showing fatigue from a hard day is more "human" than "alien".