• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kloden is offered a deal

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
The report on the Telekom doping program along with testimony from riders and doctors made it clear Kloden is a doper

The Attorney General of the Bonn prosecutors has offered that if he pays a fine of 25,000 Euros he can avoid a trial. Jan Ullrich has already done this. "We have adjusted the proceedings in the case of Jan Ullrich, there is no reason not to do the same for Mr. Klöden" said the prosecutor in Bonn

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
What does this mean as far as the german cycling fed and sanctioning Kloden for doping?
I'm by no means an expert, but I think this would only settle the criminal case (I think doping is considered fraud in Germany), not the sanctioning.

Cobblestones said:
I'm by no means an expert, but I think this would only settle the criminal case (I think doping is considered fraud in Germany), not the sanctioning.

I am wondering what happens to whatever evidence the criminal case has turned up. Does it get buried? Does it become available to the cycling fed? I assume that the DNA evidence that was developed in the Ulle case somehow found its way into the hands of the Swiss.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am wondering what happens to whatever evidence the criminal case has turned up. Does it get buried? Does it become available to the cycling fed? I assume that the DNA evidence that was developed in the Ulle case somehow found its way into the hands of the Swiss.

I don't see any reason why police investigation reports and possibly evidence shouldn't be handed over to the cycling federation, but again, I'm not an expert.

I think the criminalization of doping in Germany is fairly new, so not much precedence to look for. It might be the first case where the criminal case is over before the federation has reached a conclusion.

Anyway, it seems that the current lawsuit which might be settled, originated in Bonn. According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung, he might have more legal problems with a Freiburg prosecutor. No idea what that might be about. Maybe prescription drug abuse or something? The article is silent on that, as well as on possible sanctions by the federation.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Mellow Velo said:
Meanwhile, the Frieburg Phantom rides on, effecting proceedings at the Tour.
There are a few big noobs who should hang their heads in shame.

Well said. Even if Kloeden doesn't podium, his work will still have benefited the other members of his team. They are all cheating by association (if not actually cheating on their own terms).

Susan Westemeyer said:
The German Cycling Federation is not investigating Klöden, since he rides under a Swiss license.

Doh! Should have remembered that.

The question still remains about how the info developed in the criminal investigation makes its way to the Swiss federation. Can the Swiss federation simply use a report as the basis of a case against Kloden or do they need testimony from the actual witnesses? If they need witness testimony then why would the witnesses in Germany want to subject themselves to a non-criminal proceeding in Switzerland? Why would not they just refuse to go to Switzerland?

Maybe Kloden does not have to worry about it since it took three years for the Swiss to decide to act against Ullrich.

Susan Westemeyer said:
The German Cycling Federation is not investigating Klöden, since he rides under a Swiss license.
And it is Freiburg, not Frieburg.

Susan
Friere, Freire, Frieburg, Freiburg= English language law overriding typing brain.
Can't help it and everyone get's the point.;)

Oh and lucky him.
Btw, Klöden: What's this I'm hearing about a fine? Also some horse play on the transfer flight.....:confused:

Mellow Velo said:
Btw, Klöden: What's this I'm hearing about a fine? Also some horse play on the transfer flight.....:confused:

Not a fine, but a civil payment to settle charges. See: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bonn-prosecutor-invites-kloden-to-settle-case

Don't know anything about the flight, but I heard a story that he stuck his tongue out at a German journalist after one of the weekend stages. That is seen by most Germans as fairly insulting, by the way.

Susan

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Maybe Kloden does not have to worry about it since it took three years for the Swiss to decide to act against Ullrich.

And we have found the answer to the question why so many German riders ride with a Swiss license.

(I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot this fact about Kloden as well).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Article suggest this is because of Kloden's "deception" to his employers T-Mobile. Now, are we talking about T-Mobile the cycling team or T-Mobile the sponsor? If it's the former, I find that farcical since there was systematic doping on the team. Surely must be the latter.

TRENDING THREADS