• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kolo Toure tests positive (Football)

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
The Football Association today confirmed to Kolo Toure that his A sample has tested positive to a banned substance, as yet un-named:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/9413738.stm

Interesting to note WADA here: "The World Anti-Doping Agency define a specified substance as one that is "more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation"." - What on earth does this mean? If WADA are making comments on whether the substance is susceptible to a "non-doping" explanation, then why has the substance not been announced?

Now we will see what happens here. Many of us have said why aren't other sports fighting doping with as much vigour as cycling does, well, i guess here's the acid test.

What will happen do you think, and do we think we may see a change in football hunting down PED abusers?

We all know what Fuentes said about the Spanish European and World champions, for example...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Met de Versnelling said:
The Football Association today confirmed to Kolo Toure that his A sample has tested positive to a banned substance, as yet un-named:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/9413738.stm

Interesting to note WADA here: "The World Anti-Doping Agency define a specified substance as one that is "more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation"." - What on earth does this mean? If WADA are making comments on whether the substance is susceptible to a "non-doping" explanation, then why has the substance not been announced?

Now we will see what happens here. Many of us have said why aren't other sports fighting doping with as much vigour as cycling does, well, i guess here's the acid test.

What will happen do you think, and do we think we may see a change in football hunting down PED abusers?

We all know what Fuentes said about the Spanish European and World champions, for example...

not a snowflakes chance in hell. too much money in football for them to start finding players doping and scaring the golden goose.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that Lucky, i was wondering what that meant. This could get interesting i think, i wonder how the press are going to respond.

Sadly Benotti, i think you might be right. Can't have doping in Football now, no sir.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
anyone know

1.if kolo toure has been playing or maybe been in injury / rehab
2.when the sample that is +ve was taken
3.what type of test it was - post-match or targetted

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Given that Arsène Wenger once said that he had players on his team for five years who were never tested once, it's a pretty incredible achievement for a footballer to be unlucky enough to fail a test.

It's fine, he'll be back before long. FIFA will look the other way.

Seems like Wenger was hinting at something there when he said that, can't for the life of me remember how he got dragged into that discussion, was it related to what Fuentes said in Dec?

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Given that Arsène Wenger once said that he had players on his team for five years who were never tested once, it's a pretty incredible achievement for a footballer to be unlucky enough to fail a test.

It's fine, he'll be back before long. FIFA will look the other way.

wenger also commented that players who turned up at his club via xfers had shown abnormal readings - from how i understood it at the time it was blood sample scores he was angling at

doxter said:
wenger also commented that players who turned up at his club via xfers had shown abnormal readings - from how i understood it at the time it was blood sample scores he was angling at

Wenger's been a bit more specific on occasion.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...wenger-suspects-imports-of-doping-543006.html

Let us also remember that Juventus faced trial for doping players with EPO in the 90s. Even Eufemio Fuentes pointed out that he had footballers on his list but they were never named and shamed.

Look at the number of players who've died on field due to heart-related problems in the last 20 years compared to the 20 years before that - it's a 550% increase. It's absolutely staggering.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
The club's statement said it was a 'specified statement'. That means it's something pretty serious according to the WADA list. Anabolics, EPO, insulin, growth hormone, HCG, infusions/transfusions, corticotrophins, gene doping, tampering with samples and more are included under 'specified substances'.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/W...hibited-list/WADA_Prohibited_List_2010_EN.pdf

no , that list says to me that the list you mention is the substances/methods excluded under the 'specificied substances'

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe WADA is going to start being more vague to make it tougher for the athletes to come up with lame excuses?

The athletes will not know if they should blame it on meat, supplements, their dog or their grandma.

Same thing when Arriagada recently tested positive for "Anabolic Substance".

Clen is considered an anabolic substance by WADA btw....

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
doxter said:
anyone know

1.if kolo toure has been playing or maybe been in injury / rehab - As far as i know (Due to the fact he's in my fantasy team,), he's been fit and playing. Any Citeh fans here to clarify that?

2.when the sample that is +ve was taken - Nothing released about this, but i imagine it's in-season, no winter break in the EPL, i doubt this sample would have been between the World Cup and the start of the season, given the time lapsed since then.

3.what type of test it was - post-match or targetted - Again, nothing released.

I'm sure, Contador aside, we're never left in the dark like this usually.

I think there's a tiny hope for a change in football. With Galgo, some cracks began to appear, and many fans and some journalists openly questioned whether football is so clean. Granted, that's not much, but it's something. If players somehow manage to test positive, it'll be increasingly talked about.

It's a long way ahead, in cycling terms they're not even at 1992 levels of awareness, but who knows, anything could happen.

Benotti69 said:
was is Marc-Vivien Foé of Cameroon that collapsed in the middle of a game.:(

And Miklós Fehér. And Antonio Puerta. And Phil O'Donnell. And Ivan Karačić. And Serginho.

Many of these could be unrelated to doping, but with such a sharp rise in numbers, don't you think somebody should investigate why these young, healthy sports stars are collapsing in their prime?

the cynic here suggests that as its football nothing will be done. dont get me wrong im a football fan but cheating is more rife with diving, feigning injuries, abusing referees i would say in cycling (especially at old trafford with the usual pro moan united referees)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
It's being said it was due to a Dietary supplement, so I guess like the South African Rugby players from a few months back will mean Toure is back in action very soon.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
time for another one of these lame "let's put things in perspective" distractions on a cycling forum...:rolleyes:...when you get tired/bored of discussing all the doping in cycling, it's high time to focus your collective attentions somewhere else it appears.

hope you all can feel better now after successfully pointing your fingers someone besides the actual problem...carry on.