• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kolo Toure tests positive (Football)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Ferdinand insults journalist who brings up doping

anyone seen this?
I know it's probably 50% half-decent point about drugs testing, 50% Oliver Holt ego-trip, but still worth posting, seeing as the Toure thing seems to have ignited it.
Incidentally, Rio seemed a bit touchy at his name being brought up in connection with doping again.

benny_profane said:
anyone seen this?
I know it's probably 50% half-decent point about drugs testing, 50% Oliver Holt ego-trip, but still worth posting, seeing as the Toure thing seems to have ignited it.
Incidentally, Rio seemed a bit touchy at his name being brought up in connection with doping again.

Thanks a lot for that.

Funny to see some of the comments underneath from football fanboys attacking the author saying its a "poorly chosen topic".

Shows exactly why football will always remain "clean" (as in on the surface).

He makes the very important point that the test on this very unpleasant character, did not test for PED's like EPO, hence is useless anyway.

Its a tabloid and i dont like these football journalists, but chapeau to this fella for writing that, even though hes going to get some not so nice letters for it.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I got a bit ****ed off last night when Ollie Holt and his equivilent at the Mail Matt Lawton exchanged messages on twitter about there never being a bad time to discuss doping in sport and that:

"It's about protecting the professional sports we all care passionately about."

Neither of them, or their colleagues have made any attempt at that. And yet a few days ago he was in awe of Nadal winning the French Open.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Rio Ferdinand didn't get banned for "missing a drugs test". This isn't Christine Ohurugu and not being available for surprise testing where she said she'd be. Rio knew about the test and did a runner.

That's far more damning.

As to why he did that runner, it's baffling. But then again he's not the brightest and the real answer probably makes no sense anyway.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
This drew my attention.
Xavi is the guy who makes most meters on the pitch for Barca with an average of 12 kilometers per match. Wasn't he formerly known for his surplus in skills combined with a lack of endurance?
http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/18062011/47/liga-jugador-bar-mas-corre.html

Here an interesting piece on how endurance has increased quite spectacularly in English football over the last few years. Not the number of kilometers itself has increased, but the distance covered while sprinting:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article722711.ece

TRENDING THREADS