• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

KoM Giro

Giro KoM winner

• Ciccone

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Mollema

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Mader

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Yates

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Evenepoel

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Bouchard

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • De Gendt

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Bernal

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Guerreiro

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
Very rarely is this won by a GC guy (only Froome in the last decade) and the number of stages that look breakaway suitable mean this trend will likely continue. So I would tentatively rule out Bernal, Yates, Evenepoel etc. Of course, if they were to fall out of GC contention but remain healthy they they would have a huge chance.

De Gendt, Bouchard and Guerreiro are all proven KOTM winners but I am not sure any of them are at their top level.

So I come back to Mader, who was supreme today. To ride away from Mollema and hold off a pretty intense chase was outstanding. He has the power to get into more breaks and has a decent sprint if he finds himself having to contest mountains points. I'm not too worried about him being able to hold his form, either, remembering that he got stronger as the race went along in last year's Vuelta (his first Grand Tour). He might be the $5 favourite but I think that is actually good value.

I would also love to see Pozzovivo have a concerted effort at it now that his slight hopes of a good GC result are gone.

Reactions: Lui98 and broppo
Interesting situation after Stage 9. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss Bernal’s prospects. If he holds this level he might win two or three more stages and that could be enough.

I still really like Mader, however. He missed the critical move yesterday but was extremely strong on the first climb. If he, Bouchard and Mollema end up going head to head for KOTM points in repeated stages then I’m confident he will beat them. His sprint is better than many people think.

TRENDING THREADS