• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne, 26/02/'17, 200.7k

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
DFA123 said:
portugal11 said:
Sagan was by far the strongest
Looked that way, but the others made it pretty easy for him in the end. No-one on his wheel with 300m to go is a bit of a major error from all four.

You can see why riders like Benoot and Rowe never actually win anything.

Yet again, the others were focused on making Sagan lose more than in winning themselves. That they allowed the pace to drop with 2k to go and risk being caught just so that Sagan would be taking the pull to the line proves it. Until Trentin attacked (for which he is being criticized) I was convinced hey were trying to tire Peter out so as to beat him in the sprint. Everyone in that group deserved this result but Matteo, I don't understand why he is being slagged.
He's being criticized because of his pathetic attempts at pulling on the front when it was his turn and then his panicked, ill advised attack when he should have known that he could have been competitive against Sagan in a heads up sprint. All worthy of criticism.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
Yikes, what was Trentin thinking :confused: ?

The strongest riders prevailed. Too bad for Demare. Bravo Sagan. He was really strong today. Good racing today.
I don't understand why is too bad for demare... even if you are a french man

Red Rick said:
BigMac said:
DFA123 said:
portugal11 said:
Looked that way, but the others made it pretty easy for him in the end. No-one on his wheel with 300m to go is a bit of a major error from all four.

Yet again, the others were focused on making Sagan lose more than in winning themselves. That they allowed the pace to drop with 2k to go and risk being caught just so that Sagan would be taking the pull to the line proves it. Until Trentin attacked (for which he is being criticized) I was convinced hey were trying to tire Peter out so as to beat him in the sprint. Everyone in that group deserved this result but Matteo, I don't understand why he is being slagged.
They weren't focused on making Sagan lose. They were hoping to not be the first to attack. They were very much focused on helping Sagan win.

Nah, I don't think so. There's a difference between looking at each other waiting for the first move and forcing a rider to lead them out. They were trying to bully Sagan into dragging them closer to the finish in hopes of tiring him out and attacking him in the very end/in the sprint. Anyway, not much winning mentality in that group.

Trentin attacking wasn't really such a bad idea. I don't know why people thought he was going to beat Sagan in a sprint anyways.

Trentin attacked, but at the same time Rowe attacked from the back of the group. Atleast that's how I saw it, maybe Rowe just countered the attack, but why in the world would he do that? Imo it looked like he launched his own attack which resulted in him closing Trentin down.

If for example Rowe was still just waiting in last position then maybe Trentins attack would've surprised Sagan or atleast forced him to close it.

Ofcourse I'm not sure, but that's how it looked.

BigMac said:
Red Rick said:
BigMac said:
DFA123 said:
portugal11 said:

They weren't focused on making Sagan lose. They were hoping to not be the first to attack. They were very much focused on helping Sagan win.

Nah, I don't think so. There's a difference between looking at each other waiting for the first move and forcing a rider to lead them out. They were trying to bully Sagan into dragging them closer to the finish in hopes of tiring him out and attacking him in the very end/in the sprint. Anyway, not much winning mentality in that group.
3 out of 4 guys in that group are hopeless against Sagan in a sprint regardless whether he leads them out or not. Not attacking is completely wrong.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Trentin attacking wasn't really such a bad idea. I don't know why people thought he was going to beat Sagan in a sprint anyways.

Trentin attacked, but at the same time Rowe attacked from the back of the group. Atleast that's how I saw it, maybe Rowe just countered the attack, but why in the world would he do that? Imo it looked like he launched his own attack which resulted in him closing Trentin down.

If for example Rowe was still just waiting in last position then maybe Trentins attack would've surprised Sagan or atleast forced him to close it.

Trentin had beaten sagan in the past. A tour's stage comes to my mind

Red Rick said:
BigMac said:
Red Rick said:
BigMac said:

3 out of 4 guys in that group are hopeless against Sagan in a sprint regardless whether he leads them out or not. Not attacking is completely wrong.

But that's what I'm saying. They didn't even rate their chances one way or the other, they didn't try to win. It seemed like their biggest focus was to nulify Peter and eventually do something for the win themselves. Their obsession with Sagan resulted in them failing miserably at everything.

portugal11 said:
Tonton said:

The strongest riders prevailed. Too bad for Demare. Bravo Sagan. He was really strong today. Good racing today.
Too bad because he missed a big opportunity today. He was on paper the fastest from the lead group, and his sprint for 6th was excellent. So yes, too bad: but he can only blame himself...he missed the winning move by being in the back saving energy. Mistake, as it turned out.

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Tonton said:

Too bad because he missed a big opportunity today. He was on paper the fastest from the lead group, and his sprint for 6th was excellent. So yes, too bad: but he can only blame himself...he missed the winning move by being in the back saving energy. Mistake, as it turned out.
It's one of those things though, isn't it? He had a really strong sprint becaue he'd been drafting on the flat for the previous 50km. If he'd managed to bridge across and worked in the front group, there's no way he'd have been as strong at the end.

Still, he'd have had more chance of beating Sagan than those other four jokers.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Tonton said:

Fair enough.

Kwibus said:

I agree with you. Trentin beat Sagan in a stage 3 years ago, why should he think that alone guarantees him a chance against (a totally different, new beast) Sagan. I think he did well in attacking. As you say, if Rowe hadn't responded immediately maybe Matteo would have snatched the win and the narrative here would be totally different, because Peter might not have gone as well if he hadn't a wheel to follow. People should stop having a black and white view of things, I think.

BigMac said:
Kwibus said:

I agree with you. Trentin beat Sagan in a stage 3 years ago, why should he think that alone guarantees him a chance against (a totally different, new beast) Sagan. I think he did well in attacking. As you say, if Rowe hadn't responded immediately maybe Matteo would have snatched the win and the narrative here would be totally different, because Peter might not have gone as well if he hadn't a wheel to follow. People should stop having a black and white view of things, I think.
It's a fair point, but he didn't have to continue with the attack for another 400m or so after it was obviously doomed. He still had time to sit up, consolidate and try again in the sprint.

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Tonton said:

on paper, the waiting game is a pretty good bet in KBK, but luckily not today.

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Tonton said:

It was actually the total opposite, as he was the first in trying to close down Stuyven, but simply couldn't.

Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Stuyven won Roubaix this year. Mighty strong on the flat roads, how exactly does he fare on the pave of Roubaix?
I think degenkolb will be the leader
Most probably, yes, but that doesn't mean Stuyven won't have some freedom if he has good legs.
I fear that Stuyven won't be in such a good shape anymore when the really big cobbles races take place. Last year he was super strong around this time of the year as well, but very mediocre later in spring.

Tony Martin who rode on for a while with blood streaming down his face but was DNF has tweeted that's he's had 8 stitches in his face but hopes to be back riding in Paris - Nice. Still remember his awful fall in Tour when he broke his collarbone and rode on crossing the line supported by his teammates with his bone visibly poking out! Thank goodness this wasn't so serious.

TRENDING THREADS