• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LA 84 - the blood-doped Olympics

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
mastersracer said:
The US road team did not partake in the blood doping (which involved too small quantities to even have a performance effect). The riders involved were
Steve Hegg, Rebecca Twigg, Pat McDonough, Leonard Nitz, John Beckman, Mark Whitehead and Brent Emery.

I have a vague recollection that at least one of the riders receiving blood had an adverse reaction. Remember, this was not their own blood being reintroduced in to their systems.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
The US road team did not partake in the blood doping (which involved too small quantities to even have a performance effect). The riders involved were
Steve Hegg, Rebecca Twigg, Pat McDonough, Leonard Nitz, John Beckman, Mark Whitehead and Brent Emery.

Au contraire

"Triumphs Tainted With Blood" - Sports Illustrated January 21, 1985
Steve Hegg, who won a gold medal and a silver, received blood, as did silver medalists Rebecca Twigg, Pat McDonough and Leonard Nitz, who also won a bronze. John Beckman, Mark Whitehead and Brent Emery were identified as the others.

Rebecca Twigg came second in the women's road race.

Alexi Grewal, winner of men's road race, denied blood doping but later admitted he had been doping since 1978.

Cimacoppi49 said:
I have a vague recollection that at least one of the riders receiving blood had an adverse reaction. Remember, this was not their own blood being reintroduced in to their systems.

It was Mark. Made him VERY sick. He just died of a heart attack this year while coaching at Junior Nationals, at the age of 50. As I said in the other thread, Eddie B. was at the memorial service and the hypocrisy of the guy turned my stomach (as it has for the last 27 years).

Olympian Mark Whitehead dead at 50

Here's a great interview on Competitor Radio with Mark:

In his career Mark Whitehead won 137 criteriums, 200 track events and made the 1984 Olympic Team. In this wide ranging discussion he fills us in on racing with the legends of cycling, Greg LeMond and Davis Phinney, being married to another cycling legend, Rebecca Twigg, and what led to his decision to blood dope for the 1984 Olympics.

http://competitorradio.competitor.com/2008/04/222mark-whitehead/

Meat was a lifelong friend who I miss greatly.

Cimacoppi49 said:

Two took ill during the Games. The adverse reaction story happened after. The doc who blew the gaff ont he story treated someone else, she had a reaction, he got a conscience.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
Two took ill during the Games. The adverse reaction story happened after. The doc who blew the gaff ont he story treated someone else, she had a reaction, he got a conscience.

Not sure how long that conscience lasted....I hear he is still "Practicing"

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
mastersracer said:

See, this is where the story always got "weird". The commonly told story was that the road team did not partake, but it should be noted that there was no womens track team in 1984, so yes, the road team WAS involved. Yes, Ms Twigg. Silver medalist, road.

I do not have sources, but my memory from late 1984 was that Rebecca and Mark were a couple during the games (yes, they married later), and that both had done their transfusions via the blood of relatives. Both got sick. Mark got "really" sick. The buzz at the time was that had Twigg not gotten sick, she would have kicked Connie's buttocks. And as I remember, Twigg was truly dominant on the road at the time.

Of course, Burke and Eddie were 100% part of this. One is long since dead, and the other has never held himself accountable for what happened. Others involved keep a lower profile and own cycling camps in the Catskills.

BotanyBay said:
See, this is where the story always got "weird". The commonly told story was that the road team did not partake, but it should be noted that there was no womens track team in 1984, so yes, the road team WAS involved. Yes, Ms Twigg. Silver medalist, road.

I do not have sources, but my memory from late 1984 was that Rebecca and Mark were a couple during the games (yes, they married later), and that both had done their transfusions via the blood of relatives. Both got sick. Mark got "really" sick. The buzz at the time was that had Twigg not gotten sick, she would have kicked Connie's buttocks. And as I remember, Twigg was truly dominant on the road at the time.

Of course, Burke and Eddie were 100% part of this. One is long since dead, and the other has never held himself accountable for what happened. Others involved keep a lower profile and own cycling camps in the Catskills.

It was offered to everyone, road or track. Phinney in his book talks of how he and Connie Carpenter said no. The fact that it wasn't mentioned by Drake in his white-washing of Och's past was what got me going on this.

Never recall hearing Twigg named as one who got sick, has always been two of the guys. And she certainly didn't look sick riding to silver, now did she?

Race Radio said:
Not sure how long that conscience lasted....I hear he is still "Practicing"

Now you see that's one of the issues in this that I'm curious about. There's an awful lot of politics involved in who did what and who took the fall for whom. You'd think, all this time later, the main players would be telling the true story, no?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
It was offered to everyone, road or track. Phinney in his book talks of how he and Connie Carpenter said no. The fact that it wasn't mentioned by Drake in his white-washing of Och's past was what got me going on this.

Never recall hearing Twigg named as one who got sick, has always been two of the guys. And she certainly didn't look sick riding to silver, now did she?

I'll believe Phinney on this one, because he was so conservative, he actually passed on the opportunity to use disc wheels in the TTT. Current knowledge shows us that they would have at least silvered had he chosen to do so.

What blows me away NOW, is that Phinney has since handed-over his son to Och. But I suppose that's far better than handing him over to Lance (and Bruyneel). Notice that he didn't get an offer from Garmin Cervelo.

Yeah, Twigg and Meat both got pretty sick. Meat was worse. Twigg felt OK enough to ride that day. But her basic form at the time was better than Connie's. And as I remember, Twigg looked like she was dying the entire race (she probably felt like she was). As I remember, they both initially said "NO" to the program, but then changed their minds, and by that time, it was too late to use one's own blood, so they needed to transfuse the blood of another. Considering the "medical environment" was a motel room near the CSUDH velodrome, who knows what might have happened as far as blood-borne pathogens.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
Now you see that's one of the issues in this that I'm curious about. There's an awful lot of politics involved in who did what and who took the fall for whom. You'd think, all this time later, the main players would be telling the true story, no?

And my point in mentioning that yes, both track AND road were involved, is that yes, you're correct. We still have not had full disclosure on this sad episode in our cycling history. This was our "Golden Era" and we were all very excited watching it transform during the early 80's. And we were all elated when it succeeded. And we were all devastated when we learned that it had been tainted by this crap. Yet still, Eddie B gets to walk away with credit for bringing our program into the "modern age"?

Remember, all of this happened because a downtrodden (and unemployed) Eddie B walked into Mike F's bike shop in northern NJ one day. A simple meeting in a bike shop. The rest is history.

"An unempolyed Pollack walks into a bike shop"...
sounds like a sick ethnic joke. But the joke was on all of us.

fmk_RoI said:

No. You expect too much from people on all sides.

Popular opinion will not treat honesty well in this regard. Like being punished for telling the truth.

It simply doesn't reflect well on these people and most of the perpetrators want a positive myth to survive. If a little honesty from the perpetrators would bring more pressure on the IOC and UCI, then it would be worth it, but it won't.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
Working with Och ain't that big a suprise given Phnney's history, is it?

Phinney was one of the riders that refused to blood dope.
He was on Och's team at the time too.
I would think that Och approved of his decision not to dope.
Respected the decision.
Probably why Phinney has his kid working with Och.

BTW, what 7-11 riders are you refering to in your original post?
Which 7-11 riders were doping?
Ms Twigg on the womens team?
Wonder if Och is still friends with her.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:

IIRC it was Cindy Olivari (sp?)

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
mtb Dad said:
IIRC it was Cindy Olivari (sp?)

Wait. Cindy quite racing after being diagnosed with HepC (well documented i the press). But I don't remember it (then) being linked to a doping program. If that's the case, then the blood doping was happening well before the games.

Anyone else know anything on this? Anyone know how to get in touch with Ms. O?

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember when she came clean about her dopping past but I do remember a lengthy article/interview were she was expained how she would have her gear shipped to her though the mail and the different products she was taking. I don't remember her ever saying anything about blood dopping. I think I do remeber reading one of Les Ernst's Cyclops articles aboout a cover up over a positive test involving her. On a slighty related story. In 1983 I went up to do the Berkley Hill RR. While standing in line to register I hear a person behind me telling someone about how they just did in Europe with the national team. I turn around expecting to see like Andy Paulin or Nitz. It was Cindy Olivari!! Dang her voice was deep!!