• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Fleche Wallonne

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
Ok, it all got far too strange right there....

Anyway, slightly back to the race topic, when and where was it said that Cadel was on for win at Wallonne or Liege?

I thought he was riding support for Kroon in these hilly classics, basically in training for Giro, which is a mere few weeks away...

He said that he won't be making much of a focus on the classics in comparison to last year. But, he has said he wasn't taking much of a focus in other races but has featured in them. Kroon definetly for Amstel, Evans/Kroon for fleche and Evans for liege. It is his last race before the giro so he will be wanting to have some good form.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
He said that he won't be making much of a focus on the classics in comparison to last year. But, he has said he wasn't taking much of a focus in other races but has featured in them. Kroon definetly for Amstel, Evans/Kroon for fleche and Evans for liege. It is his last race before the giro so he will be wanting to have some good form.

I am sure he will want the form for the Giro....but still can't see him going hard for a win in these races, of course it is entirely possible for him to end up on podium.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Fleche is the classic that is suited to Evans. Good to see that 'the guy who never attacks' has been attacking this race for two years running now! Rather see him attack and get top 5, than follow wheels and get top 5.

I will go with

1) Evans
2) Gesink
3) Cunego

I feel Andy Schleck is way off the mark lately, but then again he may just be out of 'form' and looking to build up his 'form' this week.

But if Valverde is going to get to Belgium, then he may well come around all of them as the Mur de Huy levels out and take the win just like Rebellin last year...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Inner Peace said:
Fleche is the classic that is suited to Evans. Good to see that 'the guy who never attacks' has been attacking this race for two years running now! Rather see him attack and get top 5, than follow wheels and get top 5.

I will go with

1) Evans
2) Gesink
3) Cunego

I feel Andy Schleck is way off the mark lately, but then again he may just be out of 'form' and looking to build up his 'form' this week.

But if Valverde is going to get to Belgium, then he may well come around all of them as the Mur de Huy levels out and take the win just like Rebellin last year...
True, fleche is best for evans but liege is still a good race for him. Amstel not so much.

Evans will obviously win. Here's photographic evidence of him being the best in 2008:

8abettiniphoto_0026521_1_full_600.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Evans will obviously win. Here's photographic evidence of him being the best in 2008:

8abettiniphoto_0026521_1_full_600.jpg

Lool!!

I think they were maybe equally strong that day, Kirchen was just more clever, "played the waiting game to perfection" as cyclingnews put it if I recall correctly. In my opinion that was the biggest win of his career so far, don't think that he'll be able to match it this year though.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
joy118118 said:
Will he be in the race? i only saw his name on AGR and LBL
Yeah, Astanafans have an interview with Maxim, and he talks about Contador "joining us" for the two races, with Vino also at Liege Bastogne Liege.

Maxim is going for it today for his 29th birthday.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Going for a Gilbert win again because he looks the class of the field, and Paul Voss as a big outsider.

Sky have the look of a training squad for the Giro so i dont expect anything from them again.

I think the Mur is too steep for Gilbert but he should be a favorite at L-B-L.

I expect Valverde, Cunego, Evans & the Schlecklet to be up there. Would have said Rodriguez and Sammy Sanchez too but no longer sure about JR after today and it doesn't look like Sammy is racing. Will be interesting to see if AC goes for it but I'm not sure if he will, especially with Gaspa going so well

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
The Kirchen pic was more a response to this:

BTW, haven't you reached the maximum of times you're allowed to post those pics?
I know but,
1254148274933-zp7swkckpqr8-280-75.jpg

Evans timed his run early and kirchen took advantage of it. Tattical error yes but the finale in fleche is not easy to judge.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking straight and I was that impressed by Evans in amstel yesterday that i am tipping him for the win,

Evans
Gesink
Valverde

Evans will come from nowhere after he has been pushed into the barriers by gesink and had valverde acclerrate when he has a puncture.:D

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans timed his run early and kirchen took advantage of it. Tattical error yes but the finale in fleche is not easy to judge.

Well... Good tactics are part of being the best.... But in the pic Kirchen has at least two fulls lengths (if not more).... That ain't just better timing.

BTW, My favorite rider: Joopie!

0037781L.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Well... Good tactics are part of being the best.... But in the pic Kirchen has at least two fulls lengths (if not more).... That ain't just better timing.

BTW, My favorite rider: Joopie!

0037781L.jpg

In fleche that is, evans went early is a fact and made a big effort. He should of hung behind someone and then made his run. Evans has got a good kick when it comes to hard steep finishes.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
joy118118 said:
1900km for contador to Belgium
Pereiro just tweeted a photo of himself on a train with people sitting on the floor in the aisles. Then it's two hours on a bus to Liege.

Astana for Fleche Wallone: Contador, Pereiro, Fofonov, Grivko, Maxim Iglinsky, Jufré, Noval and Stangelj.

Radio Shack
: Matthew Busche, Ben Hermans, Chris Horner, Andreas Klöden, Sérgio Paulinho, Yaroslav Popovych, Ivan Rovny and Haimar Zubeldia

http://www.diariovasco.com/agencias...erto-contador-frente-astana_201004191329.html

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=25386

TRENDING THREADS