• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lachlan Morton

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I know it isn't a professional race, (it's kicked the ass of many a former pro)...but Morton is crushing the FKT on Tour Divide. He's ridden 329.5km in the last 24 hours. I'm sure much of nobody cares, and he can't actually take the win this year because he has a camera crew, but still, he is CRUSHING the record...for now. That route has a way of humbling people.
The race itself was in June. It'll be interesting to see how fast Lachlan completes the route in comparison to this year's winning time of 14 days, 3 hours 23 minutes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
8a is the relevant section along with "spirit"

So, basically "You are allowed to have a phone with you, but don't expect it to work"?

The race itself was in June. It'll be interesting to see how fast Lachlan completes the route in comparison to this year's winning time of 14 days, 3 hours 23 minutes.
No, you can do the race at any point. June was when the majority of riders started (referred to as the "informal common start date,")but you can do the route at any time, and if you remain within the rules, you can win. You can also do it top to bottom or bottom to top. Lachlan isn't within the rules: http://tourdivide.org/the_rules

Last edited:
Huh? Is this sort of weird "ultra-distance-racing" rule? A reverse "pics, or it didn't happen" thing? "Pics, and it doesn't count!"...
They're considered "support," and anything like that has to be commercially available to all challengers and not pre-arranged. You cannot even have your spouse, family member, or anyone else, meet you anywhere on course (people have been DQ'd for that). His camera crew are considered support, as they are organized and following him. The rules are super struct regarding being "self-supported."

4. Modus operandi: To complete the Route, a rider may resupply food / equipment, rent a room, launder clothing, even service their bike at commercial shops along the way. The intent is to ride unsupported between towns, and function self-supported when in towns. Any services utilized must always be commercially available to all challengers and not pre-arranged[1]. No private resupply, no private lodging.

Tour Divide strives for equal opportunity within the GC. Whether doing an independent time trial or tackling the grand départ, TD requires that every challenger—from those living along the route to those living on other continents—have an equal playing field. Therefore, outside assistance[2] with navigation, lodging or resupply (especially receipt of supplies from a non-commercial shipper) is prohibited. Visitation: Divide racing is not intended to be a spectator sport! However, route-town locals only may interact with (i.e. visit briefly, cheer on) thru-racers as they pass through their locale. Out-of-town visitation to the GDMBR mid-race from challengers' family or friends—even if only a 'loosely-planned', remote possibility for rider rendezvous—is prohibited. Item 4 FAQs

I wish him well and he is a great example of what social media can be to cycling.. Lots of people following him and cycling events they would not be if YouTube didn't exist.. would have preferred seeing him eat Jelly Belly beans versus pickle juice.. and he was certainly popular with the Unbound crowd..
This year, he's been riding the roads and dirt where I live. Only saw him once, but still, pretty cool that he has been riding the roads and areas I love. I think he may be staying with Powless' family, who are near here as well...so he's popular here, and we're more the Lost and Found crowd. Next year, Unbound and L&F will be on different weekends for the first time ever, so maybe he'll ride both.

Reactions: Sandisfan
No, you can do the race at any point. June was when the majority of riders started (referred to as the "informal common start date,")but you can do the route at any time, and if you remain within the rules, you can win. You can also do it top to bottom or bottom to top. Lachlan isn't within the rules: http://tourdivide.org/the_rules
Ah, didn't know that the independent time trial riders were included in the official results.

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
162.58km to go, down to 3 gears, using a spoke to shift, and he's looking good to get to Antelope Wells more than a day ahead of Mike Hall's record time.
Good thing the last bit is mostly downhill.

And, while I have AXS on my enduro bike, I can't imagine why you'd take the chance on electronic shifting on something like that, unless you have to because of sponsorship. Give me something you can fix with a cable.

Funny though, the guy who owns my local bike shop did the Divide on a single speed.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS