• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lack of universal health care in US...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious how the rest of the first world views the US's lack of universal health care coverage. This is the second time in 20 years we've had this debate and it looks like, yet again, we'll continue our hodge podge system. Yea, works well enough for those with money but fails a very large segment of our population. I think the US currently spends 15% of GDP on health care and has a tremendous number of people with no coverage at all.

Personally, I'm disappointed but not surpirsed. The whole US government system is setup to NOT pass laws. The power of the minority party in this country is astounding. The Senate's silly rules end up forcing super majorities for many bills.

For those of you with universal coverage, what do you dislike about your system? Do you ever look longingly at the US and which you had our system of employer provided health insurance? Do you wish you could by bankrupted by medical bills like many Americans?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Don't kid yourself . The super majority was in place for a year. All the politicians are in the pockets of the whole medical industrial complex. The reason our soldiers and sailors are not belly aching about universal coverage for themselves and their families..because it works and they have enough to worry about. We lost another chance to give that same piece of mind that most of the western world enjoys. Now that we have F't up coverage for everybody,lets work on getting 6 weeks of vacation!

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you should be riding for China. If everything is given to you, why work for anything. If you were guaranteed a top ten finish in every race, would you train for anything more than that? This country has become more and more of a nanny state. Quit your *****ing and talk about cycling............

bcounsell said:
Sounds like you should be riding for China. If everything is given to you, why work for anything. If you were guaranteed a top ten finish in every race, would you train for anything more than that? This country has become more and more of a nanny state. Quit your *****ing and talk about cycling............

Another mindless dittohead. This is the Cafe, stay out if what you want is cycling talk.

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Ha, Ha! That's hilarious! Yes, we should start working on 6 weeks of vacation! I don't know why Americans put up with only two weeks, considering how hard most of us work. It's really silly! Even Australians get at least a month off per year. What are we slaves to productivity or what? Production, production, production - :p Anyway if anybody needs a medicare supplement the link here may help. Good luck!

fatandfast said:
Don't kid yourself . The super majority was in place for a year. All the politicians are in the pockets of the whole medical industrial complex. The reason our soldiers and sailors are not belly aching about universal coverage for themselves and their families..because it works and they have enough to worry about. We lost another chance to give that same piece of mind that most of the western world enjoys. Now that we have F't up coverage for everybody,lets work on getting 6 weeks of vacation!

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Four issues need to be separated:
- Health - pragmatic and humanitarian principles encourage good basic health, and each nation benefits from an improvement in the health of its population
- Health care - one needs to distinguish preventive care from all others. With preventive care at low or zero cost to the population. Basic care is not costly and can lead to better use of health care resources. Beyond preventive exams, one should never be in a position where common care for ill patients is not available because one can't pay. It is not the widest spectrum of care, as many people consider their poor personal habits, which give rise to illnesses, as deserving of the same care as involuntarily acquired disease. Determining what is correctable by the patient will always be contentious.
- Health care cost - I am amazed at the prices for health care and medicines in the US. It appears that the medical diploma (and momopoly) premits doctors to charge high fees for little work. Their claim is that malpractice penalties cause them to increase their fees. Cost needs to be addressed very carefully, I think.
- Health care insurance - When the state picks up the cost of basic health care, one can choose between a doctor or medicine or procedure that is at the basic rate the government pays, or at a higher rate, with the individual making the economic choice. There is no reason to subsidize expensive choices when there are normal ones available. You can choose your own doctor, but choose according to what you WANT to pay. If the state pays a basic rate, you can buy supplemental insurance to cover luxury choices. But insurance companies don't deny a patient what he buys in an insurance policy; they deny what is NOT in that policy. If you want more, buy more, but don't complain that you are being cheated or sent to your death. Insurance companies don't mind paying out for what you bargained for. They still adjust policy prices to reflect a small (3-4%) margin of profit. If medical care costs a billion dollars today, and tomorrow it costs two billion, they are happy having twice the margin, paying twice the benefits, but remember that the 96% remaining is due to what care providers charge. That is where you can look to achieve economies.

In France we pay for the basic insurance costs by taxation. And we buy supplemental insurance at low prices because the care costs are much lower. We also have greater longevity and drink much more wine. Recent years have seen increases in the tax and reductions in the benefits. But this is for all of us, not just those who have the money to pay for gilded insurance policies.

I think the current US approach to legislation is not universal enough, but it's not my place to make decisions, even if I have opinions.

Bonne route,

Sandy

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I love the free health system I get my testosterone implants for $5.00 what more can you ask. Its no argument we cant afford it they will just have to cut back on politicians free lunches and perks.

No person where ever they are should be denied medical assistance and the very best available must always afforded.

What price can we put on human life.

Having said that some of the Doctors in the free system need a big jab up the ****.

Nuf said

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Define "Universal " Health Care ...... first of all. It'll never happen. "Haves" have more than "have-nots" ..... so they'll always get better access to even "Universal" care.

America will never have true "Universal" health anyways. It's just too corrupt. Medical care in America is about high profit and status .... not keeping us healthy in the social sense. What we all forget is the people in whole(Country), are only as strong as the weakest persons(Individuals).

Medical cost is the real problem in America..... it's just too high. Do you think we're going to change the system of high profit and riches for the top dogs? I think not. This is why any "reform" like those discussed in the last 20 years is a joke. How can you reform a system that broken at it's core? The core is the attitude of the medical profession and the politicians they reside with. The core is "I want to help you, [BIF[/B] you can pay me my high demand$$ for service". The core is medicine is big business. Since when does big business give a rat's **** about the very people it serves?

The best we can do is to take care of ourselves the best we can. Be one's own advocate. Fear not death and dying. For goodness sake ..... we're born to die the moment we're born!

Cherish today.

I would say Contador, probably. I think Contador has proven himself, and will continue to do so, against better opposition than when Indurain was winning. I mean when Indurain won in 1994 he beat a 33-year old Piotr Ugrumov into 2nd. At least Contador has beaten Evans & Schleck the Younger.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
cheap wedding dresses,wedding dresses,wedding dress,simple wedding dresses,classy wedding dresses,beautiful wedding dresses,weddingdress
wedding dresses
cheap wedding dresses
Evening dresses
With more 1000 Designer dresses,we supply Evening Dresses,Custom Dresses,formal gowns,cocktail dresses with wholesale price
prom dresses
Dresses, evening, cocktail, prom dresses, formal gowns from dresseslife. Homecoming dresses and bridesmaid
Graduation Dresses

TRENDING THREADS