• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance has lost it

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
boalio said:
I have to agree - whoever did this paint job, was either:
1./ Partying with old Tommeke and sniffed too much white powder
2./ Was hanging out with a bad tattoo artist and was trying to 'fix' the original artwork
3./ Is about 4 years old with a bunch of free stickers

Horrible - if it was my bike I would not even sell it, let alone ride it ;-)

A

Anonymous

but, its done what it was intended to do..

youve all looked at it.. youll all remember it...

still a bad paintjob.. ;)

It kind of compliments those black dinner socks he insist on wearing, don't you think? Simply lovely.

crazyoverdaisy1.jpg

Seriously, does he still look heavy to you guys? Like 5lbs of too much upper body mass? And not just fat, mostly muscle, which is harder to lose than fat.

bettiniphoto_0038256_1_fulltn.jpg

And unless he seriously gets himself into great shape, he's going to lose more than 3 minutes on Stage 16. He could have ended up 10 minutes behind on the Blockhaus had they kept the full thing in there.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
It kind of compliments those black dinner socks he insist on wearing, don't you think? Simply lovely.

crazyoverdaisy1.jpg

Seriously, does he still look heavy to you guys? Like 5lbs of too much upper body mass? And not just fat, mostly muscle, which is harder to lose than fat.

And unless he seriously gets himself into great shape, he's going to lose more than 3 minutes on Stage 16. He could have ended up 10 minutes behind on the Blockhaus had they kept the full thing in there.

Yes, it would appear that he is heavier than 2005. I would think it came from the cross training he was doing to stay in shape when he retired from cycling.

As for my opinion on the paint/sticker job. Typical Sheppard Fairey artwork, it is completely overwrought and hideous.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
slowoldman said:
Yes, it would appear that he is heavier than 2005. I would think it came from the cross training he was doing to stay in shape when he retired from cycling.

As for my opinion on the paint/sticker job. Typical Sheppard Fairey artwork, it is completely overwrought and hideous.

Yeah, thats probably the reason, all that training he did for the marathon. There's a reason coaches have always told riders to avoid running.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
marinoni said:
Yeah, thats probably the reason, all that training he did for the marathon. There's a reason coaches have always told riders to avoid running.
Actually, has anybody watched his gym videos from last winter? Awesome/amazing/puzzling, depending on point of view.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
boalio said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2009/probikes/?id=lance_armstrong_trek_madone_giro09

I'm sorry, but that has to be the most god awful paint job i have EVER seen on a bike.

And they say Boonen was bringing the sport in to disrepute??

PS i know Shepard Fairy and his work. I really like his work. But this...

I loved Sean Kelly's horrified response when asked if it was the kind of thing he'd be seen riding around:

...[uncomfortably long SK pause]No. No. Certaintly not!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
marinoni said:
The upper body bulk is from training for the starlets not the marathon.

LOL!

Marathon runners don't have a lot of upper body, folks.

Love that Sean Kelly quote. Perfect. I can't see Sean being caught dead on something like that.

Typical Sheppard Fairey artwork, it is completely overwrought and hideous.

My, my, my. Even we find it a little much. And shouldn't we all be in the same boat, working together? Style is style, but...

CHIP-DALE-I.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

crazyoverdaisy1.jpg

Yeah, I only noticed yesterday the upper body mass. He's not in shape for winning a tour. Too much weight lifting to look good on the beach with Matthew. He can't lose this weight quickly without getting weak. He also looks a little plump in the ***. Not this year Lance. You need a year on the weight loss pain train

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
to be honest with you i don't think he will ride next year. i can't see any upside for him to ride. once he is the team owner there is no need to ride, his team kit will have the advertisements for livestrong and that, i believe , is his main thrust with the comeback anyway. unless he has found something to enhance his riding, chuckle chuckle

I think there are two ways he rides next year:

First, if his results this year are decent, and he gets his own team with a big contract, AND he gets into really great shape and come spring looks great and is riding great.

Second, if he gets his **** handed to him this year, however next year gets his own team and they are a UCI Continental domestic team based in the US. This would allow him to race in the US in races like Tour of Cal, Tour of Missouri, Georgia (hopefully they'll bring it back), Gila, etc. and help promote cycling in the US. And he'll win some of those races. This would likely help him ease into retirement more. He might well take Horner and maybe Levi with him. As much as I don't like the guy, I'd really like to see this latter happen. I think it would be great for the sport here.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Alpe, you have a good point about the conti team. That thought didn't enter my mind. I was thinking Pro Tour team all the way.

yes that would help cycling in the U.S.. Levi and Chris may be near retiring also so it may be good for them also. we shall see in the months ahead how it unfolds.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Johan Brunyeel said on twitter after the race... "stage 5 had a tough last climb. Levi & Chris were up there w the best. LA rode his pace and lost 3'. Wouldn't have thought this 4 weeks ago."

So I'm assuming he's blaming the broken collarbone for LA's less than stellar performance.

A

Anonymous

VeloBabe said:
Johan Brunyeel said on twitter after the race... "stage 5 had a tough last climb. Levi & Chris were up there w the best. LA rode his pace and lost 3'. Wouldn't have thought this 4 weeks ago."

So I'm assuming he's blaming the broken collarbone for LA's less than stellar performance.

or being his first major tour in four years..

im getting bored with this "lance isnt as good as he used to be" lark now.. of course he isnt.. stands to reason..

whens his missus due to pop anyway.. isnt that soon..? shouldnt he be off buying baby clothes or something..

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong came in at 35th didn't he? Weren't they 195 riders today? You all make it sound like he came in with Cav or Cancellarra, 192 and 193. The guy's been out of professional racing for 4 years and he's not winning, what a lame ***.
A little petty at best. If this is the best you can do, you need new writers.

A

Anonymous

crashaustin said:
Armstrong came in at 35th didn't he? Weren't they 195 riders today? You all make it sound like he came in with Cav or Cancellarra, 192 and 193. The guy's been out of professional racing for 4 years and he's not winning, what a lame ***.
A little petty at best. If this is the best you can do, you need new writers.

+1

lalalalalaladeda

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
+2
Since breaking his collarbone he’s made no bold statements about his form while mentioning plenty of others who are in better shape currently. Plus comments about his body weight – bl@@dy hell, I think there’s plenty of other blokes out there who have better odds of winning the World’s Fattest Man Competition….

A

Anonymous

Seth Bullock said:
+2
Since breaking his collarbone he’s made no bold statements about his form while mentioning plenty of others who are in better shape currently. Plus comments about his body weight – bl@@dy hell, I think there’s plenty of other blokes out there who have better odds of winning the World’s Fattest Man Competition….

ullrich for one.. :D

TRENDING THREADS