• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance McNaught is dead / WWE

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Ditto

The thread was started in the clinic, if there are not to be doping comments there is no point the thread being here, move it to the general forum. If its staying in the clinic then censoring doping comments is stupid, regardless what taste they are in.

But yes, another in a long line of wrestlers to die young. Had the pleasure of meeting Dave Smith and (i guess the pleasure) of meeting Chris Beniot. Both killed by doping. Im surprised there isnt a "doping cases in wrestling" page on wiki

Concerning doping, you can adress the question of whether or not this is doping related, however starting off the thread with nothing but jokes and references to Armstrong, is not really the same as discussing doping. I have also not really edited any doping references, but more the jokes and the reference to Armstrong

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Here is the link on About.com with a long list of wrestler's deaths. Note that most of these are not related to steroid or doping use, though a frightening amount are suicides.

Guidokcd said:
Interesting, because I'm pretty sure Chris Benoit hanged himself. Not sure how that is death by doping. Whether or not he took anything is irrellevent to the trajedy surrounding the events that happened with his family.

Steroids (particularly withdrawl from) are known to cause depression. Consequently, suicide rates are higher in steroid users.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
I went bald as a 23 yr old amateur cyclist and I never doped.

There are a bunch of vastly receding hairlines in the pros belonging to 20something yr olds..They sorta look 45... seen in the general population too and possibly due to street drugs or food additives(hormones).

Alpe d'Huez said:
Despite the media's claims of "roid rage" and that at some point Benoit was shown to have likely used some steroids, there was none in his system, and zero indication that it caused him to do what he did. None at all. He was on light pain killers, and no alcohol was in his system. The man simply had serious psychological problems from a hard life.

Still, it's a rough sport and way of life. Entertainment or not, it has to be rigorous, and prone to many of the same problems cycling and other sports have.

Here is the link on About.com with a long list of wrestler's deaths. Note that most of these are not related to steroid or doping use, though a frightening amount are suicides.

That is simply untrue. Benoit had an elevated level of testosterone in his body which he had been injecting. Phil Astin wasn't sent to jail for 10 years for giving Benoit to much Asprin either.

To claim that there is no connection between doping and painkiller abuse and the premature deaths of wrestlers is laughable. Your statement is akin to saying that guns don't kill people, its the loss of blood that kills them.

BTW - hadn't you better edit that photo of Lance Cade - a well oiled muscular man in a small pair of pants and leather chaps...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Despite the media's claims of "roid rage" and that at some point Benoit was shown to have likely used some steroids, there was none in his system, and zero indication that it caused him to do what he did. None at all. He was on light pain killers, and no alcohol was in his system. The man simply had serious psychological problems from a hard life.

Still, it's a rough sport and way of life. Entertainment or not, it has to be rigorous, and prone to many of the same problems cycling and other sports have.

with benoit i heard years of wrestling had given him brain damager. His special move was the benoit diving headbut which involved him climbing onto the rope, then jumping about 2 metres in the air and falling head first onto an opponent - with no protection to the head. As i watched wrestling when i was young i remember he once did the move from the top of a cage about 4 metres above ground, and once he did it by jumping from a 4 metre ladder, onto an opponent who was laying stationary on the table.
This is before you consider all the other moves that must have gone wrong in his 20 year career. WWe is the worst sport in the world in terms of injuries.
All this contributed to the brain damage which mad him go mad and kill his family

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
A doctor tried to say that Benoit's brain resembled that of a 70 y/o with Alzheimers, which is pretty ridiculous in my opinion considering he was able to work, drive, and travel week to week without any trouble. I worked with him up to the week before he died, and at the time nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Part of the reason Lance McNaught was released from the WWE was a substance problem.

Guys are not forced to wrestle, as they aren't forced to race their bikes, however for both, sometimes it's that or work in a factory, so you do whatever you can to gain the edge. It's all a choice. It's not like Vince McMahon tells his wrestlers, "Ok, you're ring name is going to be X and here's a bunch of roids for ya". However, he makes the schedules that can sometimes lead to guys needing a little more recovery help. In the end, it always comes down to the choice though.

Ok. Finished.

TRENDING THREADS