• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance speaking to Frank Andreu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Interesting to see Lance speaking with Frankie Andreu in the Versus interviews. I would think that Lance would snub him, given how outspoken Andreau has been about claiming first hand knowledge of doping by Armstrong.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Lance appears to be surprising quite a few people. There was a shot today of him sharing an animated but clearly friendly conversation with Boonen. The Dutch commentators made the point that Boonen had left USPS in 02 against Lance's express wishes, and that the two hadn't talked for some years thereafter.

Maybe he's mellowing with age? :D

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Isn't it his ex-wife who has been outspoken? It always seemed like Frankie wasn't as comfortable with it. Though he did admit that he himself took EPO and he did stand by his testimony about the conversation in the hospital, he also stated clearly that he had never personally seen Lance use anything illegal.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BumPhil said:
Interesting to see Lance speaking with Frankie Andreu in the Versus interviews. I would think that Lance would snub him, given how outspoken Andreau has been about claiming first hand knowledge of doping by Armstrong.

Yea, I was wincing a bit during that interview. Lance savaged Andreu's wife after she testified in some court deposition. Interview went well (professional at least) though I imagine there has to be some hard feelings.

A

Anonymous

stephens said:
Or he's wondering where to find the hookers and blow these days and figures Tomke's the guy to ask. :D

OK, that's freaking funny.:D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BumPhil said:
crisis management 101

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Lance appears to be surprising quite a few people. There was a shot today of him sharing an animated but clearly friendly conversation with Boonen. The Dutch commentators made the point that Boonen had left USPS in 02 against Lance's express wishes, and that the two hadn't talked for some years thereafter.

Maybe he's mellowing with age? :D
express wishes? Only sheep like Hincapie subsume themselves and let their identity be co-opted by the master.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
express wishes? Only sheep like Hincapie subsume themselves and let their identity be co-opted by the master.

"sheep like Hincapie"? This is most definitely the last post I read on this forum. The dude is riding his 14th Tour, and is one of the most respected guys in the peloton, please show some respect.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hincapie was never going to win any GT and he has surley missed some stage wins for the "boss" but he is a professional bike racer.
He has received full team support in one day races and you only have to look at his Rubaix history to know bad luck has robbed him of at least one win and possibly two.

He lacks killer instinct I think but he is a gentleman and a tough guy on the bike.... surely deserving of the repect he gets from his peers.

girofan said:
"sheep like Hincapie"? This is most definitely the last post I read on this forum. The dude is riding his 14th Tour, and is one of the most respected guys in the peloton, please show some respect.

Now that you have gone off in a huff, there is no reason to care about yout opinion. :) Sweet.

Look at the career paths Boonen and Hincapie. I lost track of how many Paris-Roubaixs and Rondes Boonen has won, but it is easy to remember the total for Hincapie. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. El Zilcho. If Hincapie had a pair then he would have left for a team where he could more often ride for himself in races that suit him. Instead he stayed as a lapdog who was forced to use his best form of the season on the Tour de France.

We could also do the same, maybe and even more appropriate, comparison using Stijn Devolder, another rider who could not stomach throwing his career away.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Look at the career paths Boonen and Hincapie. I lost track of how many Paris-Roubaixs and Rondes Boonen has won, but it is easy to remember the total for Hincapie. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. El Zilcho. If Hincapie had a pair then he would have left for a team where he could more often ride for himself in races that suit him. Instead he stayed as a lapdog who was forced to use his best form of the season on the Tour de France.

We could also do the same, maybe and even more appropriate, comparison using Stijn Devolder, another rider who could not stomach throwing his career away.

Don't know that I'd agree with this analysis. Maybe George actually liked being a part of team the won the Tour. And tried to balance that with his desire to win Flanders and Roubaix.
At least from a Roubaix standpoint, he's seemed to have pretty good form and good support. The fact that he has usually either finished very high or not finished at all would seem to indicate form and team support were not a huge issue. Just bad luck. Flanders is a bit of different deal. More team support might have helped him there. Not sure if he is perfectly suited to those short very steep cobbled climbs as well as Devolder, but maybe at least as well as Boonen. But there's always tradeoffs and he may actually like riding the TdF as part of a very sucessful team there.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Now that you have gone off in a huff, there is no reason to care about yout opinion. :) Sweet.

Actually, he left for Columbia just for that reason. However, having Cav on your team is gonna limit your opportunities for wins. Not sure where else he could go at this point?

I think you're being kind of harsh on him. Certainly he's had some bad luck in Roubaix (a broken steerer tube has nothing to do with having a pair). But he competes hard at the races he targets. And no, he's not like Boonen. But few riders are.

And if he enjoys a support role, all the power to him. Seems like he's done pretty well for himself.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Actually, he left for Columbia just for that reason. However, having Cav on your team is gonna limit your opportunities for wins. Not sure where else he could go at this point?

I think you're being kind of harsh on him. Certainly he's had some bad luck in Roubaix (a broken steerer tube has nothing to do with having a pair). But he competes hard at the races he targets. And no, he's not like Boonen. But few riders are.

And if he enjoys a support role, all the power to him. Seems like he's done pretty well for himself.

plus his line of jeans look pretty hot!! ;)

May 19, 2009
Visit site
see, Lance is not a bad guy. He apologized to Carlos Saster and Christian VDV and asks for Andreu to be his Versus interviewer. Too bad elefantino is already dead or he would have buried the hatched with him too.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Seems to me that George has been allowed to target the Spring races of his choice every year and has done pretty well in those races. Regardless, I sometimes feel sorry for professional cyclists whose accomplishments are often measured solely on wins. I can't fault a guy at all for valuing job security and team success over wins (not saying that is what George has done). Your reasoning would suggest that anyone working for a company that isn't the CEO or President is a failure and they didn't have "a pair" to start their own company so they can be President. Give the guy a break. I think Horner (at the least the Pro Tour Horner) has epitomized the idea that there is honor and glory being the best teammate possible. Sure he would like to go for a win now and then, but he also is keenly aware that he is making a good living being a strong teammate. Should he hang his head in shame? Are you the best at what you do?

BumPhil said:

I just wonder-how "genuine" is that new approach...
Frankie never had an issue at all with him, and looking back -he took an enormous load of sh*it from LA & the ex US Postal/Discovery team mates, to the point that he was very uncomfortable doing his job back in those days....
on the other hand, VERSUS is PRO-LANCE to the core, and knowing that the cycling community is aware of that past endeavor, they sort of forced the situation to happen, and LA knows very well the benefit of being called "a nice guy" with the insane media attention he's getting.
Personally-Frankie is doing his job regardless of LA's comeback-in fact they didn't talked to each other or any interview back in tour of California at all, even on they following races, Frankie just acted as a commentator.
the current situation? they just happen to be at the tour
-I honestly doubt the extension of that new friendship when the microphone is off....

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
Isn't it his ex-wife who has been outspoken? It always seemed like Frankie wasn't as comfortable with it. Though he did admit that he himself took EPO and he did stand by his testimony about the conversation in the hospital, he also stated clearly that he had never personally seen Lance use anything illegal.

A judge ruled in favor of armstrong in that case. So whatever they said really didn't hold up in court.

I think Armstrong is just being nice to Versus because, they did sponsor discovery as OLN in 05. plus, he really doesn't give Frankie a very good interview.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
dadoorsron said:
A judge ruled in favor of armstrong in that case. So whatever they said really didn't hold up in court.

I think Armstrong is just being nice to Versus because, they did sponsor discovery as OLN in 05. plus, he really doesn't give Frankie a very good interview.

Regardless, why would Andreau's wife lie about it? What's the motive? I can think of motives for the Doctors and Nike to deny Lance saying he had used those drugs. I can't think of a reason for Frankie's wife to say it. She was called to testify (under oath) and said what she heard.

And again, we see Armstrong rip into anyone in his way.

As for Frankie doing the interviews, I think it's just LA being a *** to Frankie by making him have to interview him (since we now know that LA/Astana requested Frankie). See how effing powerful I am. Eff you Frankie.

Yep, I'm very cynical about anything LA does/says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS