• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance vs. Shaq?

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
A question for those more willing (knowledgeable) than I to answer. So there is a new program on TV in the US called Shaq vs. This show has Shaquille O'Neal against other professional athletes in their chosen sport. Via twitter, he has challenged Lance to some unknown competition.

My question is this- what watts/VAM/other would Shaq have to produce to be 'equal' to Lance?

I don't know what Lance's numbers are or should be and don't understand how to calculate VAM so someone else's insight would be appreciated. I have found that wikipedia has Lance at 5'9" (1.77m) and 165lb (75kg) and Shaq at 7'1" (2.16m) and 325lb (147kg).

Thanks for your help!
John

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Whaddaya talkin' about?? How can Shaq challenge Lance? they're on the same team
al55b5.jpg
:p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
chinkes5 said:
A question for those more willing (knowledgeable) than I to answer. So there is a new program on TV in the US called Shaq vs. This show has Shaquille O'Neal against other professional athletes in their chosen sport. Via twitter, he has challenged Lance to some unknown competition.

My question is this- what watts/VAM/other would Shaq have to produce to be 'equal' to Lance?

I don't know what Lance's numbers are or should be and don't understand how to calculate VAM so someone else's insight would be appreciated. I have found that wikipedia has Lance at 5'9" (1.77m) and 165lb (75kg) and Shaq at 7'1" (2.16m) and 325lb (147kg).

Thanks for your help!
John

Dont know numbers but if i were Shaq i would challenge Lance to a race uphill make Lance tow a trailer with 200 lbs to equal the difference in body weight & about a 10 percent handicap. The other handicap Shaq gets to pick the gear they go up in. Could u see Lance tryring to go uphill pulling a trailer at 40 rpms. Goodbye knees!:eek:
:D

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
Dont know numbers but if i were Shaq i would challenge Lance to a race uphill make Lance tow a trailer with 200 lbs to equal the difference in body weight & about a 10 percent handicap. The other handicap Shaq gets to pick the gear they go up in. Could u see Lance tryring to go uphill pulling a trailer at 40 rpms. Goodbye knees!:eek:
:D

Have you seen Shaq on the basketball court the last couple of years? Moving doesn't seem to be his forte anymore. I can't see him moving uphill at all...

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about watts needed but Shaq MIGHT be able to compete with Lance in a flat, short sprint. That would let him take full advantage of the huge torque he can produce.

Any other cycling competition would go to Lance hands down.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
psychlist said:
I would think Shaq's best bet would be a long straight downhill. Gravity loves Shaq.

true.dat except there is that whole wind resistance thing. Hopefully, he can bend down enough to negate it somewhat.

TRENDING THREADS