• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lances Denials

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
I wonder what the Tour organization will do about his 7 victories.

Will they stand in the record books? They certainly don't deserve to, but even if the statute of limitations has run out on his earlier wins, he certainly needs to be stricken from the record books in some fashion.

No way he deserves to be honored as the rider with the most Tour wins.

The record should be put back to 5 and shared among those who are part of that club. He should never be mentioned amongst those riders with 5 wins.

Do you remember the Tour presentation the year after Lance retired? The Tour Organization had the usual historical recap of great champions and then emphasized a "new age" for cycling or something similar. They patently avoided mentioning Lance and he wasn't present for the big media openning. This never happened to Indurain or his predecessors. It's not beyond imagination that they would be the FIRST to act on any evidence of a tainted history.

hrotha said:
Armstrong might be a sociopath, I don't know, but I don't think his denials have anything to do with that. Denying everything is what these guys have been taught to do, and what 90% of them do, at least at first.
Armstrong's denials are on another level. Note that Ullrich, Contador, Schlecks, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Evans, Sastre etc. mostly ignore and evade. Armstrong bathes in denials. Unlike all of the others, he reveals not an iota of compunction. That's the indicator of the sociopathy.

Ninety5rpm said:
Armstrong's denials are on another level. Note that Ullrich, Contador, Schlecks, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Evans, Sastre etc. mostly ignore and evade. Armstrong bathes in denials. Unlike all of the others, he reveals not an iota of compunction. That's the indicator of the sociopathy.

I would say initially he denied like everyone has. But soon after the 1999 win it actually became part of his commercially spin. They say I'm doping because the French don't like me. But I'm clean. I'd say it enhanced his reputation and he made a lot of money from being clean. The spin was good. The American public especially with little knowledge of the true aspects of the sport lapped it up. With Armstrong he went one step further and that was not only to deny but he went and beat up on anyone who said they wanted a clean sport. Then he took another step further and bought anti-doping equipment for the UCI! Go figure that out!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I would say initially he denied like everyone has. But soon after the 1999 win it actually became part of his commercially spin. They say I'm doping because the French don't like me. But I'm clean. I'd say it enhanced his reputation and he made a lot of money from being clean. The spin was good. The American public especially with little knowledge of the true aspects of the sport lapped it up. With Armstrong he went one step further and that was not only to deny but he went and beat up on anyone who said they wanted a clean sport. Then he took another step further and bought anti-doping equipment for the UCI! Go figure that out!

Your point emphasizes the type of Bushian strategy that worked for politics at the time. Even normally cynical media types like David Letterman and Jim Rome mocked the supposed French/Euro jealousy (although you're never sure what Letterman actually believed). Letterman was a serious Lance supporter back then and his current silence on the subject speaks volumes to Armstrong's mainstream media status at this time. I used to think he would be sure target for quick jokes but the depth of his possible failure isn't as funny to Late Night TV as I thought it would be.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
callac said:
They can officially stay in the books but not be taken seriously... Like the 10.49 of Florence Griffith-Joyner. Something not to be repeated, and with this obscene touch that makes people put a huge asterisk on it. Something worthless, except for a few people who can't put two and two together.

Why even have a trial. Slap a fine on Lance/ Bruyneel. Go after the big fish. Asterisk Lances victories. Also askerisk all wins by other dopers.
Lifetime bans for any dopers after that. No second chances.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
2gv2emr.jpg

"This is my body, I can do whatever I want to it, I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it.
Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.

What are you on?"

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
At the end of the day, why not a David Frost/ Nixon type interview with Lance. The controversy must end and why not with a truth palapable enough for all parties to stomach.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
2gv2emr.jpg

"This is my body, I can do whatever I want to it, I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it.
Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.

What are you on?"

Yep, I had a small laminated version of that I bought off eBay. I also bought The Lance Armstrong Performance Program: 7 Weeks to the Perfect Ride, but I'm pretty sure they accidentally omitted some important information from that. The guy made money by claiming to be the one who did all of his racing clean. I was a victim of fraud.

Imagine all the companies that paid to fly him in, send a limo to take him to a 5 star hotel, and paid him a bunch of money so he'd tell people about winning seven Tours clean.

There was apparently a bit in his last book where his older son was supposed to have sen Contador in the maillot jaune in Paris, and asked Lance why that guy was wearing his yellow jersey. A couple of months ago, I'm sure I heard someone ask him about that, and he said it never happened. Did anyone else hear that? So his writer had to make stuff up to make it seem interesting? How much of the nonsense from the other books never even happened? And why aren't people clamoring for their money back, or to have the books moved to the fiction section?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Yep, I had a small laminated version of that I bought off eBay. I also bought The Lance Armstrong Performance Program: 7 Weeks to the Perfect Ride, but I'm pretty sure they accidentally omitted some important information from that. The guy made money by claiming to be the one who did all of his racing clean. I was a victim of fraud.

ROFLMAO

Beautiful!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Imagine all the companies that paid to fly him in, send a limo to take him to a 5 star hotel, and paid him a bunch of money so he'd tell people about winning seven Tours clean.

There was apparently a bit in his last book where his older son was supposed to have sen Contador in the maillot jaune in Paris, and asked Lance why that guy was wearing his yellow jersey. A couple of months ago, I'm sure I heard someone ask him about that, and he said it never happened. Did anyone else hear that? So his writer had to make stuff up to make it seem interesting? How much of the nonsense from the other books never even happened? And why aren't people clamoring for their money back, or to have the books moved to the fiction section?

My advice, see a therapist.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Your point emphasizes the type of Bushian strategy that worked for politics at the time. Even normally cynical media types like David Letterman and Jim Rome mocked the supposed French/Euro jealousy (although you're never sure what Letterman actually believed). Letterman was a serious Lance supporter back then and his current silence on the subject speaks volumes to Armstrong's mainstream media status at this time. I used to think he would be sure target for quick jokes but the depth of his possible failure isn't as funny to Late Night TV as I thought it would be.

Makes you wonder if LA or his PR machine is putting out feelers to see where he can appear in the media to defend himself without having to answer anything significant. I'm sure all the big names are avoiding him because they don't want to either play along with the legacy hype or pull the final Jenga block on an institution.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Biklett said:
Makes you wonder if LA or his PR machine is putting out feelers to see where he can appear in the media to defend himself without having to answer anything significant. I'm sure all the big names are avoiding him because they don't want to either play along with the legacy hype or pull the final Jenga block on an institution.

I suggest the King of Softball, the dim-witted schmuck Larry.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
I suggest the King of Softball, the dim-witted schmuck Larry.

He's being replaced by the Brit, Pierce...American Idol or something. He strikes me as someone that would ask a real question.

Doctors do what riders want them too. Who'se the worst of bad guys? DS, MD or rider? Perhaps we should put them on the scale of money, making more, being worse.

A DS, would have a job without enforcing doping, although perhaps less prominent.
A doctor, well the world is dieing for scary illnesses. There's a job out there for him.
The manager. Coud have athletes who pay him while being clean. Just fewer so, and paying less.
The rider, well... I know few riders with actual talents off the bike, especially if it needs to be bike-unrelated. So the riders gets most out of it when they decide to dope. But they're all breaking laws, so punish them as they should. Do take prisoners.

*** edited by mod ***

Mich78BEL said:
i hope you're joking otherwise the anti-armstrong feelings in this part of the forum are getting way out of hand

Did you see the bit where one poster said that there is a possibility that Lance spiked Landises TDF samples? Almost like a crime movie with Lance the Don giving information to the police about any of his men he feels are getting to powerful.

Are Lances denials on another level. Yes they are but then because of his position he gets asked about it a lot more. He cant just shrug it off like Sastre etc because Flandis isnt going after Sastre. Hes going after Lance. Lance has 2 choices, lie or tell the truth. At this stage he cant tell the truth. He has to lie and hope hjis lawers save him. I wouldnt be surprised if in a hypothetcal situation, he and Floyd met up in a lawyers office, that Lance would say "sorry Floyd but you know i have to do this to you".

Also a lot of sports stars become arrogant. Lance has for the last 10 years been touted as a great, won world sports personality awards, loved by many in america. I saw a sad video clip of a kid crying when he met Lance.

I would like to think that in such a position i would be able to maintain humility but in Lances case he isnt able to so drinks his own coolaid so to speak.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
Lance is the world's only middle-aged hunchback uniballer who wears black socks and yet is able to bed any Hollywood babe he wants.

Who would give up that?

Anyone who's one last nugget is in a vice.

tubularglue said:
old saying:

your only as sick as your secrets.'

it's coming around, fiercely

This was written in 2005 and become very relevant for today. It was written in regards to Simeoni incident:

But this issue speaks to something else besides the sport's unhealthy little addiction; it speaks to Armstrong. What does it take for this man to be satisfied? And how are we, fans of the sport, to reconcile two utterly adverse sides of a champion? How can a man who has stared death in the face, who knows the value of his own wonderful life and has shown such remarkable, limitless and genuine compassion to his fellow cancer survivors, be so needlessly petty? From here, it looks like hate, pure and simple.

Armstrong now has six Tours, $16 million plus a year, Sheryl freaking Crow, his incredible benefit to the sport and to the cancer community and the adoration of millions of fans. Is that success so insubstantial that he must go out of his way to make someone else fail?

It's a sad epitaph to what should have been a perfect Tour for Armstrong, one where his dominant performance and sublime form confirmed him as the best racer of his era, and one of the best of all time.

I wrote weeks ago that Lance Armstrong had two sides--the public Armstrong you see on television and in his books, and a colder, spiteful one that is largely private. I wrote that if Armstrong lost this Tour de France that we might see that the private one was more his true self.

Ironically, it is instead while winning it that it has come to the fore.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/armstrong-hunts-down-rider

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
This was written in 2005 and become very relevant for today. It was written in regards to Simeoni incident:

Nice article.

But it stops well short of the only logical conclusion that someone familiar with pro cycling could make -- that is, Armstrong may as well hung a sign on his back saying, "I'm A Doper!"

In fact that was the moment the clinched it for me, removed all doubts. What possible motive could Armstrong have had for chasing down Simeoni besides the fact that he (Armstrong) was a doper?

And yet you didn't state the obvious in your article. I would assume that you didn't have any doubts at that point. So we are left to conclude that Bicycling's editors wouldn't allow the truth to be printed.

Is that correct? If so, did you ever consider resigning in protest?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
Lance is the world's only middle-aged hunchback uniballer who wears black socks and yet is able to bed any Hollywood babe he wants.

Who would give up that?

What's up with that crappy position on the bike? And it's just gotten worse over the years. He really does look like a hunchback on his bike, especially when he's riding a TT....

TRENDING THREADS