• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's personal bike.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Does anybody know or have any links to what one of Lance's personal bikes would be worth? (I purchased it long ago and have no idea what it would be worth now) I have one I would like to sell. It is a Caloi (Litespeed) Ti Motorola frame complete with all the parts that he rode including first generation Mavic Cosmics. It is also signed by Eddy Merckx on the toptube. Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
washedup said:
I think you missed the peak by a few years. Better sell it quick before it reaches scrap value.

Don't think it will ever be scrap, it's still a pro quality bike, but thanks. I'm keeping the Merckx MX Leader of his because I like the bike.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I can only judge by my bike which is a 1999 USPS
(NOT one that he or the team rode, I bought it new in about May of 99).

I paid $3,000 Australian for the frame at the time.
In 2005 I had people offering as much as $4,000 for it used
and now I would struggle to get $500 for the complete bike with the older 10spd DA on it - and not much extra wear as its just the spare bike now.

As a few suggested a bit impolitely, if you had tried to sell in the early 2000's you might have got a great price for it. Now? Not so much, I guess.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys for your answers. I wasn't really aware of what the value may be. Didn't know if the Lance factor (used to mean something I guess) would be a hinderance or a help. Still a nice former pro bike that a collector would appreciate I would think. I also think the Motorola paint scheme is one of the nicer ones out there. I suppose ebay will let me know the actual value, here's to hoping for a couple of diehard Lance fans to get auction fever. :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'd go as far as to say that eBay would be your enemy on this one.

It wouldnt be up there long enough for most of your target audience to hear about it.

Might be better to try more direct marketing on websites that allow sales without deadlines. I'd agree though that Spring is a better time to sell a bike in general.

slowoldman said:
Does anybody know or have any links to what one of Lance's personal bikes would be worth? (I purchased it long ago and have no idea what it would be worth now) I have one I would like to sell. It is a Caloi (Litespeed) Ti Motorola frame complete with all the parts that he rode including first generation Mavic Cosmics. It is also signed by Eddy Merckx on the toptube. Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Might be a tough task but something written from Lance or his keepers that certifies this as a actual Lance bike would help the value a lot.

Yes as Martin and others said, scrap dealers and Ebay will set the low end price. If you want an upper end estimate, try checking some cycling museums. I don't know of any that would display any of Lance's bikes, but you could search for others to get a comparison. I know Federico Bahamontes
has one in Spain. I don't have links, but that's just an idea to start with.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i sold my merckx ex pro ti (litespeed)that was custom painted by joe bell on ebay about 10 years ago. the frame was red with brushed ti stays, all new decals and a matching kestrel EMS fork.

the frame had been ridden a couple of seasons but only once since it had been painted (i took a 7-year break because of injury).

i think i got about $800 on ebay.... probably about two grand less than i had paid for frame, fork and paint job.

erader

TRENDING THREADS