• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's Toady Media Support

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The saddest of the lot is bicycling.com, which publishes LA flacks Carmichael, Strickland and Joe Lindsey.

Here's Lindsey's latest LA apology:

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2010/08/20/clemens-armstrong-perjury-and-perception/

Lindsey all but admits LA doped. (Really, Joe? You've followed the sport your whole adult life and NOW you tell us? How brave of you!) Then Lindsey says, doping aside, a little perjury charge against LA would be a waste of government money, if that's all the grand jury can produce.

The goalposts move!

What toadies and weaklings, Bicycling mag editors. You, too, Rodale.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
The saddest of the lot is bicycling.com, which publishes LA flacks Carmichael, Strickland and Joe Lindsey.

Here's Lindsey's latest LA apology:

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2010/08/20/clemens-armstrong-perjury-and-perception/

Lindsey all but admits LA doped. (Really, Joe? You've followed the sport your whole adult life and NOW you tell us? How brave of you!) Then Lindsey says, doping aside, a little perjury charge against LA would be a waste of government money, if that's all the grand jury can produce.

The goalposts move!

What toadies and weaklings, Bicycling mag editors. You, too, Rodale.

You may want to read some more of Joe's work. He is one of the best sources for information on the sport and is certainly NOT on Armstrong's Christmas list. He has been one of his most vocal critics for years.

PMM- Have you been reading Joe's stuff for long? He was fairly supportive of Lance for some time, but just like many fans in around 2002 or so started to slowly see the light and became increasingly critical of LA. He does good investigative work, and while one could argue he could be more critical, he's certainly no Sally Jenkins.

The only thing I'd say is that unlike Joe I don't think the bar has been set at a standard of RICO laws. At least not as far as Armstrong is concerned. And here's why: We can all look at Clemens and say 'yes, he doped, and lied about it". But Clemens didn't build an entire reputation and brand on being clean the way Lance has. If we're sitting here in two years and it's determined that Armstrong doped and lied about it, the very cornerstone he built his brand on will be badly tarnished, RICO prosecution or not.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
PMM- Have you been reading Joe's stuff for long? He was fairly supportive of Lance for some time, but just like many fans in around 2002 or so started to slowly see the light and became increasingly critical of LA. He does good investigative work, and while one could argue he could be more critical, he's certainly no Sally Jenkins.

The only thing I'd say is that unlike Joe I don't think the bar has been set at a standard of RICO laws. At least not as far as Armstrong is concerned. And here's why: We can all look at Clemens and say 'yes, he doped, and lied about it". But Clemens didn't build an entire reputation and brand on being clean the way Lance has. If we're sitting here in two years and it's determined that Armstrong doped and lied about it, the very cornerstone he built his brand on will be badly tarnished, RICO prosecution or not.

It is hard to compare cyclists to baseball players. Cyclists are supposed to be clean healthy and European, Baseball players are supposed to be dirty afro american, carribean or white trailer trash. That is why people are shoced by Lance Floyd and Tyler, American +dirty. Hey they would have fit right in with MLB ball. McGuire and Pete Rose A Rod,like our disgraced cyclists.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
It is hard to compare cyclists to baseball players. Cyclists are supposed to be clean healthy, Baseball players are supposed to be dirty. [edited by Mod] That is why people are shoced by Lance Floyd and Tyler, American +dirty. Hey they would have fit right in with MLB ball. McGuire and Pete Rose A Rod,like our disgraced cyclists.

Flicker, most MLB players have College Degrees from top notch Universities.
Probably not the case with Pro Cycling.

One of the many reasons MLB players get paid so much more than ProCyclists?

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Flicker, most MLB players have College Degrees from top notch Universities.
Probably not the case with Pro Cycling.

One of the many reasons MLB players get paid so much more than ProCyclists?

and they got into those top notch universities by doing steroids in high school so they would get noticed by NCAA scouts..

Let's Go Waaay Back

redtreviso said:
and they got into those top notch universities by doing steroids in high school so they would get noticed by NCAA scouts..

I can't comment on EPO generation players. I can tell you a pre-EPO story of some now historically significant NBA players who have college degrees and seen once and only once in class.

Bottom line, they may have gotten the same piece of paper I did when graduating the school. But they sure weren't in class OR taking tests.

I was a huge critic of Lance until I read this comment under the article in question.....who do I contact in Livestrong, to apologise for my actions these past few years? I was blind, but now I can see.

"There is a vast difference between Roger Clemens and Lance Armstrong. Roger LIED in front of Congress and was caught at it. Lance has PROOF that he has not used performance enhancing drugs (let’s see blood, urine, saliva, sweat samples dating back to 2002, tested multiple times, 1999 sample is under investigation, again) and only Floyd Landis, a known lier, cheat and thief has made statements that he has used them (not that others had used them around him, which is pretty obvious.) So, what is going to happen? Probably nothing. Another waste of money for sure."

May 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
It is hard to compare cyclists to baseball players. Cyclists are supposed to be clean healthy and European, Baseball players are supposed to be dirty afro american, carribean or white trailer trash. That is why people are shoced by Lance Floyd and Tyler, American +dirty. Hey they would have fit right in with MLB ball. McGuire and Pete Rose A Rod,like our disgraced cyclists.

what are a load of BS. you don't half post crap most of the time but this is close to the top of a heap of smelly shíte that gushes forth from your keyboard.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
During the TdF I was circulating the photo of Lance looming over Contador via twitter to #procycling and directly to cycling publications, hoping it would make it into a news story in English. The original on flicker got pulled, but I had a link to the one foreign story where it appeared, and had made a copy. It apparently got a lot of retweets, because I had some guy tell me the curse of Juan Pelota was upon me, and a bike shop owner in Missouri tried to tell me off.

I sent it to Lindsey as a courtesy, and he replied something like great, now Lance has one to go with the one Alberto has of the glaring hand shake at the TdF course reveal. I didn't look up the quote, but all I did was share a photo link that a lot of people ended up thinking was a big deal, and instead of ignoring or thanking me, I got that. There's a huge difference between the two situations. I have no use for the guy now, and with him, Strickland and Carmichael, I've not much use for Bicycling Magazine.

Digger said:
I was a huge critic of Lance until I read this comment under the article in question.....who do I contact in Livestrong, to apologise for my actions these past few years? I was blind, but now I can see.

"There is a vast difference between Roger Clemens and Lance Armstrong. Roger LIED in front of Congress and was caught at it. Lance has PROOF that he has not used performance enhancing drugs (let’s see blood, urine, saliva, sweat samples dating back to 2002, tested multiple times, 1999 sample is under investigation, again) and only Floyd Landis, a known lier, cheat and thief has made statements that he has used them (not that others had used them around him, which is pretty obvious.) So, what is going to happen? Probably nothing. Another waste of money for sure."

That's scary! The funny thing is that for years the fanboys blamed the dodgy labs trying to take down Hamilton and Landis and now they hold them up as the true science that Armstrong is innocence.

Lance himself praised the professionalism of that lab in Chatenay-Malabry. When he was passing tests that is....when Floyd's test came back, and the '99 retests came back, he suddenly said he didn't trust the lab. That's a fair fantasy world there. Praise the tests and use them to show your innocence, but when they are not the result required, blame them.

Polish said:
Flicker, most MLB players have College Degrees from top notch Universities....
Do you really believe that or were you so desperate to make a point that you were willing to make up a "fact" from thin air?

MLB has never had an education requirement like pro football because baseball is historically a summer sport. A San Francisco Chronicle article in 2004 said that 42 out of 750 MLB players (~6%) had college degrees. This NYT article from 1989 optimistically puts the number at 14%. MLB's rules allow drafting a player as young as 16 so there's not even a requirement to complete high school, much less college.

Even if it were true, a college degree for an American scholarship athlete is worth less than the parchment it's printed on. The NBA and the NFL both require college degrees and functional illiteracy estimates of players in both sports range from 25-40%.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Do you really believe that or were you so desperate to make a point that you were willing to make up a "fact" from thin air?

MLB has never had an education requirement like pro football because baseball is historically a summer sport. A San Francisco Chronicle article in 2004 said that 42 out of 750 MLB players (~6%) had college degrees. This NYT article from 1989 optimistically puts the number at 14%. MLB's rules allow drafting a player as young as 16 so there's not even a requirement to complete high school, much less college.

Even if it were true, a college degree for an American scholarship athlete is worth less than the parchment it's printed on. The NBA and the NFL both require college degrees and functional illiteracy estimates of players in both sports range from 25-40%.

You'll have to forgive LA's ball polisher, it appears he does not comprehend the truth and regularly makes stuff up and posts it on here hoping someone bites....:rolleyes:

May 28, 2010
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Even if it were true, a college degree for an American scholarship athlete is worth less than the parchment it's printed on. .

I was with you til this one statement. This, in a large number of cases, is wrong. Please don't lump all scholarship athletes into the same generic pile that you would prefer to deem worthless. While there are certainly a large number of scholarship athletes who would fall into your statements parameters, there is still a larger amount who would not.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I think the FDA and the USDA should write letters to all the parents out there and let them know that the reason that all these contaminated eggs are in the system is because Roger and Lance are a bigger priority right now..maybe tax payers will send in an extra donation so that they can do some oversight instead of some hindsight about a 20 win year or if an ERA was deserved 8 years ago..or about a 2002 Tour De France result..I hope they can take my credit and purchase a really cool investigation about bicycles sold on EBAY because some prankster that tried to fool everybody about about his doping said it's a good idea. Landis should be special adviser to Obama maybe he has views about religion or world peace. Maybe we should just earmark a few 100 million and allow all of Landis's ideas to be explored by government investigators. How Jack Daniels can make you come up positive in France should be priority number 1. Lance ran some red lights back in Texas we need to look into that also. Maybe you have to request that the eggs be inspected..Floyd could you ask them a favor you seem important in the scheme of things. Floyd at least make sure the eggs are safe before you start making my McMiffins in a couple of months see you at the drive up!!

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
It is hard to compare cyclists to baseball players. Cyclists are supposed to be clean healthy and European, Baseball players are supposed to be dirty afro american, carribean or white trailer trash.

Whoa.

So all Europeans are white??

Dirty afro american. Is that a typo?? :(
Hey at least you group them together w/ trailer trash. That's cool. :confused:

Can we back off with the racial and/or cultural stereotyping. For what it's worth in my experience applying generalisations of this kind makes a fool of everyone and serves little or no purpose - and it tends to offend people!

And if anyone continues to post in this fashion they will experience the long arm of 'moderation' and be taking a short holiday from posting.

Thank you

Terry

TRENDING THREADS