• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis to RadioShack? Yikes!

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
Well he won't fail anymore drug tests, and he could sure use the cash. Oh wait, bad idea, no can't really think of any.

If he winds up on the team and is suddenly a helluva lot more competitive then I think all hope of clean cycling will be gone.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-confirmed-for-team-radioshack

Here we go! How many reasons can anyone think of why Landis joining RadioShack is a bad idea?

I think it is a clever ploy by Armstrong.

Floyd is in a a difficult period in his career and there have been rumours about his emotional state and the fact his case cost a lot of money.

He could be in a postition where he is vulnerable to a 'tell all' book deal - LA's offer on the team might help erase any thoughts from Floyd to spill the beans on his career.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I bet Lance brings him in to race domestic races and perhaps help coach the U23 team. Not saying it is a good idea, but for reasons of wanting him to keep his mouth shut, it just might happen.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:

Floyd is in a a difficult period in his career and there have been rumours about his emotional state and the fact his case cost a lot of money.

He could be in a postition where he is vulnerable to a 'tell all' book deal - LA's offer on the team might help erase any thoughts from Floyd to spill the beans on his career.

Well, hopefully he won't get popped for DHEA.

Great point. A past and future non-disclosure clause in a contract that significantly over-pays Landis for a few years would be very shrewd indeed.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Lance hasn't ruled out...

Lance hasn't ruled out hiring me, either, but that doesn't mean it's likely to happen. Probably the only reason it came up is that a reporter asked him the question. I doubt this is worth all the stir and speculation...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Definitely. The more Lance backs FL here and there, the less likely they will become desperate against him.

Dr. Maserati said:

What's Floyd going to tell that Lance is worried about? Everyone knows about his high cadence, high pain threshold and freakish VO2 numbers. Who would want to pay him for stuff that everyone already knows? Maybe he'll reveal that Lance is a mouth breather :D

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
As long as I'm at it, Landis will be 34 in October. He hasn't ridden exceptionally well this past year.His hip may or may not cause problems for him. There are probably better qualified, younger, North American riders. But I suppose he would fit into The Shack's home for clapped out riders.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
As long as I'm at it, Landis will be 34 in October. He hasn't ridden exceptionally well this past year.His hip may or may not cause problems for him. There are probably better qualified, younger, North American riders. But I suppose he would fit into The Shack's home for clapped out riders.

no the hip isnt the problem , my understanding is he is got a pretty serious drinking problem , as in lots on a daily basis , no way he can be seriously fit without getting it under control , he's not been able to get down to race weight and it seems like his wife leaving him was a major blow ,
i never was a fan , .......but i think he is dealing with depression and the alcohol is not helping

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
What's Floyd going to tell that Lance is worried about? Everyone knows about his high cadence, high pain threshold and freakish VO2 numbers. Who would want to pay him for stuff that everyone already knows? Maybe he'll reveal that Lance is a mouth breather :D

Dang, I was hanging to read Chapter 12 "Tour Hopes FLUSHED"

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Floyd knows all about Lance'sdoping history, that's what. Of course, the reverse is also true. Hush money, a good domestique, return to a Pro Tour team, fail-safe "medical" program (ahem), racing at a high level again... I think this time he'll find Armstrong appealing.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
As much as I hate the doping and the lying, I've felt sorry for Floyd as much of his life seems to have crashed on him. I get the impression he watched a rider become extremely successful, wealthy, and revered and when he tried the same route it all blew up in his face. Life can be a bytch and Floyd's been stung pretty hard. Sure he deserved much of it. But I wish the guy nothing but the best in getting his life, then his career back on track. It sure would suck to see him playing the uber-domestique role to Lance again though.

knewcleardaze said:

Yeah +1, i believe there are alot of others that probably deserve a ride, Ben Jaques-Mane (or however you spell it) comes to mind, but i believe Armstrong is trying to get the old band back together for one last gig. I'm also not going to discredit the bringing in Floyd to keep him quiet theory either, i think it has some substance.

Also at age 34, Floyd Landis will be young enough to make the retirement shack development squad;)

Edit: i'd also like to +1 the comments that peddling squares (the poster just above me) has to say. Nicely put.

craig1985 said:
El Imbatido is that reference to Arrested Development in your sig?

Nah, never really got into Arrested Development. The quote is from 'That 70's Show', season two episode called "Eric Gets Suspended." Eric takes the blame for his girlfriend (Donna) smoking at school and gets suspended. Michael Kelso (played by Ashton Kutcher) the group's dumbass, kettlehead (as he is often called), idiot friend asks what he got suspened for and Donna replies with "for being dumb" and Kelso being the gullible dumbass, slow in the head kind of person replies with "they can do that".:D

It was one of those 'you have to be there moments', that aren't really funny when you try to explain them to others. But it has to be one of my all-time favourite shows.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
As much as I hate the doping and the lying, I've felt sorry for Floyd as much of his life seems to have crashed on him. I get the impression he watched a rider become extremely successful, wealthy, and revered and when he tried the same route it all blew up in his face. Life can be a bytch and Floyd's been stung pretty hard. Sure he deserved much of it. But I wish the guy nothing but the best in getting his life, then his career back on track. I sure would suck to see him playing the uber-domestique role to Lance again though.

Just to spark another debate doobie, having ridden with both guys before they got onto any "programs"; Floyd could outride Lance uphill on a mountain bike. No joke. He was that phenomenal on the road when he was a broke unknown. That's why Mercury signed him and put him on the US domestic tour. As for his personal/moral guidance computer; he was pretty much on his own from that point on. For all the hero worshipers and snarky rider-bashing critics it's true Floyd put his faith in the wrong hands and suffered the greatest fall of any rider. Don't know what he can teach anyone from that experience and don't know if he can overcome the burden he carries. Wish him well as he has paid mightily.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong has to befriend as many of his former teammates as possible. They are the ones most likely to spill the beans. Landis has kept quiet. So, long as he gets paid he can keep the charade going that both he and Armstrong were clean.

"We have the technology, we can rebuild him." says Shack spokesperson.:rolleyes:

Why would folks take any more notice of Floyd, than they have of Frankie?
Floyd's been out on a limb, on his own, for 3 years and said nothing.
Great move. Should stitch up Armstrong's 2010 Tour invite.
Go for it, I say.
Is he really that stupid?

Next, watch Pat McNut pull Astana's PT pass, leaving Berto in a backwater and out in the Tour cold.
Then, it ends up in Bruyneel's sweaty palm, at Rock Racing 2.
Take out the opposition and it's cleaner than using the "irregular values" ploy.

TRENDING THREADS