• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis to stand trial for hacking

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
You don't think Floyd will ask Lance for a letter vouching for him, and how good a guy he really is ???? Uh um !! Hello Lance this is Floyd I could use a BIG favor right about now uh um can you make a call for me !!! I really didn't send that e-mail to the newspaper, it was that witch hunter he promiced me a great lead on a book deal, said he had somebody on the inside. What a great call that will be, start the recorder !!!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
What's with all these cyclists and hacking? Floyd supposedly hacked LNDD's computers; Lance supposedly hacked Kik's and Betsy's and Frankie's computers. Next some guy will hack into the biopassport records and change all his outlying data points.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Does the French penal system still send people to Devil's Island?
PapillonPosterFloyd.jpg
[/IMG]

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You think he will get anything more than a few days in the klink? May end up in some sort of agreement if he gives info on the hacker.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Is this new?

I thought he'd already been issued a warrant. The linked article has no new information about any extradition. Is there a source that says he's being extradited?

According to this article from Feb. the warrant was only for French territory. Has that changed?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/16/landis_anti_doping_hack_charges/

A French court spokeswoman explained that the warrant only covers France territories, so the arrest warrant will not lead towards any extradition request.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as I understand this Landis himself did NOT have the personal expertise to hack any computer .
But I think we have a few ideas about the peeps who did..and if the ip adress`s go an computer forensics go were I ( and I suspect The Hogg) suspects then I`d imagine Floyd cant wait to get into the court and let the show begin.:D

As some of you over the pond might say "Bring it on!":)

Does it really matter who has the actual knowledge to hack? Just because you hired someone to do it, doesn't mean you're off the hook. I clearly remember the CNN interview where Floyd and his solicitor were sitting and putting a lot of importance on the fact that Floyd can't use a computer... So what?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
Does it really matter who has the actual knowledge to hack? Just because you hired someone to do it, doesn't mean you're off the hook. I clearly remember the CNN interview where Floyd and his solicitor were sitting and putting a lot of importance on the fact that Floyd can't use a computer... So what?

How true, hire a hit man to knock off your wife and find out what happens when its all traced back to you !!! Can you say Bubba

May 20, 2010
Visit site
No hacker worth his salt is going to do this sort of thing from a traceable IP address when you could just drive through any neighborhood in the USA and find an unsecured wireless network to work from. Also, nobody knows what the evidence is. An IP address in a computer log isn't ironclad proof. IP addresses can be faked/s****ed and logs can be doctored by an insider, or someone with an agenda.

Funny that I cannot post Sp00fed, since it includes p00f. Geezus.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
_Zipp0_ said:
No hacker worth his salt is going to do this sort of thing from a traceable IP address when you could just drive through any neighborhood in the USA and find an unsecured wireless network to work from. Also, nobody knows what the evidence is. An IP address in a computer log isn't ironclad proof. IP addresses can be faked/s****ed and logs can be doctored by an insider, or someone with an agenda.

It is not quite like that.

The hacker supposedly planted a backdoor into the LNDD network. This allowed Arnie to go in and look for files then send these files out from a LNDD email account. Arnie was dumb enough to do this from his house so it was easy to trace it to him.

The hacker covered his tracks pretty well.....Arnie did not.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is not quite like that.

The hacker supposedly planted a backdoor into the LNDD network. This allowed Arnie to go in and look for files then send these files out from a LNDD email account. Arnie was dumb enough to do this from his house so it was easy to trace it to him.

The hacker covered his tracks pretty well.....Arnie did not.

OK, so was the hacker an insider or outsider? What IP address was the hacker working from? Surely they have logs that indicate when the worm was placed, and from where. A hacker could have simply emailed the contents of the drive to an anonymous email account or sent them to a hacked ftp server or free file host anywhere on the globe. His client could then access the files using the TOR network or similar with near complete security. A hacker worth his salt would have planned for this and advised his client accordingly.

Sorry, but it doesn't add up.

More likely an insider gave someone a password, and that someone went poking around thinking nobody was watching. Since it involves computers and illegal activities, they(media and the lab) call it a hack.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
_Zipp0_ said:
OK, so was the hacker an insider or outsider? What IP address was the hacker working from? Surely they have logs that indicate when the worm was placed, and from where. A hacker could have simply emailed the contents of the drive to an anonymous email account or sent them to a hacked ftp server or free file host anywhere on the globe. His client could then access the files using the TOR network or similar with near complete security. A hacker worth his salt would have planned for this and advised his client accordingly.

If was probably just some moron who bought Floyd's book, doing it as a favor. Point is they got caught. Criminals make all sorts of stupid mistakes.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
_Zipp0_ said:

Sorry, but it doesn't add up.

More likely an insider gave someone a password, and that someone went poking around thinking nobody was watching. Since it involves computers and illegal activities, they(media and the lab) call it a hack.

The hackers name is Alain Quiros. He was paid by a company named Kargas Consultants to hack the LNDD networks. He has already testified about what he did. All he has said about who his clients where is that they were "Anglo Saxon"

It should be now surprise that the hacked documents were also sent out to multiple people from Arnie's ip address.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The hackers name is Alain Quiros. He was paid by a company named Kargas Consultants to hack the LNDD networks. He has already testified about what he did. All he has said about who his clients where is that they were "Anglo Saxon"

It should be now surprise that the hacked documents were also sent out to multiple people from Arnie's ip address.

But who was at the keyboard? Was the IP sp00fed to look like Arnie's? Did he have an unsecured wireless network that someone used to set him up? Was Arnie himself a victim of a hack?

Yes, I know, he is probably guilty, but it is relatively easy to introduce doubt in the jury, and hard to prove who was a the helm of the IP address at the time the files were moving around.

Also, is this hacker in jail? If not, why not?

TRENDING THREADS