• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis to stand trial for hacking

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Floyd needs to come around and face the music on this one. If he is brought up on charges of a crime in France Floyd needs to take care of business. Why thumb his nose at charges of hacking, hackers are criminals, they cause disruption, cost money and to me hackers are causing an an anti-social act.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
_Zipp0_ said:
But who was at the keyboard? Was the IP sp00fed to look like Arnie's? Did he have an unsecured wireless network that someone used to set him up? Was Arnie himself a victim of a hack?

Yes, I know, he is probably guilty, but it is relatively easy to introduce doubt in the jury, and hard to prove who was a the helm of the IP address at the time the files were moving around.

Also, is this hacker in jail? If not, why not?

Yes, the hacker was in Jail but may have been released by now. He also had hacked Greenpeace and few others.

Sorry, I have a hard time believing that someone parked outside Arnie's house and used his WiFi to send out the hacked docs.... especially since Landis's used the hacked documents in his defense.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
Does it really matter who has the actual knowledge to hack? Just because you hired someone to do it, doesn't mean you're off the hook. I clearly remember the CNN interview where Floyd and his solicitor were sitting and putting a lot of importance on the fact that Floyd can't use a computer... So what?
Depends on the law of the land, but in most nations you can be a party to an offence, and therefore charged with that offence, if you are assisting, enabling, or conspiring with someone who commits the offence directly.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Depends on the law of the land, but in most nations you can be a party to an offence, and therefore charged with that offence, if you are assisting, enabling, or conspiring with someone who commits the offence directly.

What you are saying is if someone has hired or has knowledge of a crime then someone is involved in the crime?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
Does it really matter who has the actual knowledge to hack? Just because you hired someone to do it, doesn't mean you're off the hook. I clearly remember the CNN interview where Floyd and his solicitor were sitting and putting a lot of importance on the fact that Floyd can't use a computer... So what?

So Floyd can use the defense, I do not know how to use a computer?

The witch hunter G-man Novitzky will use Mr. Floyd Landis as a credible witness?

I am flabergasted at Mr. Novitzky. This is the best we can get as an accountant?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I have my own reasons for wanting to see Arnie Baker get his due. No, I'm not a former competitor of his, and no, I am not jealous of his cycling palmares. I personally know the man to be lacking in moral fiber. Even though most people that know him personally would say otherwise.

I personally hope the guy also faces the CA medical board soon.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Floyd

I read that Floyd is caught up in a larger case about hacking in France.
Apparently an electric company hacked into Green Peace's computers and this is the big case. The prosecutor wants to focus on that one but the judge has kept Floyd in the mix as well as other minor hacking cases. It is about the internet company providing better security.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Merckx11 said:
I read that Floyd is caught up in a larger case about hacking in France.
Apparently an electric company hacked into Green Peace's computers and this is the big case. The prosecutor wants to focus on that one but the judge has kept Floyd in the mix as well as other minor hacking cases. It is about the internet company providing better security.

That makes a lot of sence to me..the Green Peace hacking is a major issue in France.
From a cycling point of view the only thing we realy want to know is who did the hacking , how did Landis come to be connected with them..who was the "introduction" by?. Cus theres reason to suspect that introduction came from his nemisis.
And I kinda think quite a few think that. Otherwise why the interest?...and why does it seam Landis is more than happy to appear..ie...doesnt feal threatened by it.

Darryl Webster said:
That makes a lot of sence to me..the Green Peace hacking is a major issue in France.
From a cycling point of view the only thing we realy want to know is who did the hacking , how did Landis come to be connected with them..who was the "introduction" by?. Cus theres reason to suspect that introduction came from his nemisis.
And I kinda think quite a few think that. Otherwise why the interest?...and why does it seam Landis is more than happy to appear..ie...doesnt feal threatened by it.

It was the same hacker that did greenpeace and floyd's hacking, he was from a firm called Kargus Consultants. I think theHog mentioned his name earlier in the thread. I think thats why Landis is still in the mix. Are you suggesting LA may have hooked him up with the hacker? I had not heard that one. Why would he do that?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
It was the same hacker that did greenpeace and floyd's hacking, he was from a firm called Kargus Consultants. I think theHog mentioned his name earlier in the thread. I think thats why Landis is still in the mix. Are you suggesting LA may have hooked him up with the hacker? I had not heard that one. Why would he do that?

Cus Landis was desperate..and IIRC didnt Lance claim to "believe" in Landis`s "innocence"...after all we now have Landis "spilling the beans" on a guy he considered a friend and as a TDF "winner" via the very method and lie that Armstrong had and lived also an equal.
Clearly friendship and honour that go`s with genuine friendship mean something to Landis. He was "sold" a pup.
I think that has been the personal motive in this for Landis and in doing so he recognises theres much he can also do in "redemption" and gain cyclings forgivness. And I dont think that means he returns to higest leval`s..I think it means enjoying it at a leval he can enjoy and being respected as a human being who made some bad choices.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
callac said:
I couldn't find a source in english, but the story is that the hacker (Alain Quiros) and the society at the origin of the various hackings (Kargus Consultants) were discovered after the LNDD lodged the complaint for hacking... It was then found out that the hacker's computer didn't only have files from LNDD, but also from Greenpeace.

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/piratage-informatique-edf-et-le-cycliste-floyd-landis-renvoyes-en-correctionnelle-03-11-2010-1257547_23.php
Here is a good rundown on the overall case in English from last year on the New York Times.

BotanyBay said:
I have my own reasons for wanting to see Arnie Baker get his due. No, I'm not a former competitor of his, and no, I am not jealous of his cycling palmares. I personally know the man to be lacking in moral fiber. Even though most people that know him personally would say otherwise.

I personally hope the guy also faces the CA medical board soon.

A name we haven't heard in a while here.

"Arnie" was the answer to 16-across in Today's National Post crossword puzzle.

Canadian cyclist and coach Baker.

Which reminded me - any news on the hacking case?

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS