• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Last WT team to get a win - 2023 edition

What will be the last WT team to get a win in 2023?

• Ag2R

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Alpecin

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Arkea

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Astana

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • DSM

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Groupama

• Intermarche

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Movistar

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Soudal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trek

• Total voters
Okay, what kind of devilry is this? Putting Quick Step in the poll as "Soudal". I know Soudal is first in their name, but they've been "Quick Step" since forever, whereas "Soudal" is new!
Putting FDJ down as "Groupama" is kinda weird too, but at least they've had that name for a while.

I'd say it's pretty normal to use the first sponsor.

And I thought you just referred to teams as "this team" or "that team" in your head anyway.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I'd say it's pretty normal to use the first sponsor.

And I thought you just referred to teams as "this team" or "that team" in your head anyway.

But it's weird when one sponsor has been with the team for 19 years, and the other for 23 days...

Yes. In my head. This isn't in my head!

Agreed, I was very confused. I could swear Soudal wasn't WT anymore and I almost voted on them :sweatsmile:

Glad I'm not the only one.

Reactions: Sandisfan
But it's weird when one sponsor has been with the team for 19 years, and the other for 23 days...

Yes. In my head. This isn't in my head!

Glad I'm not the only one.
Several explanations (or excuses?) come to my mind.

First (and probably most true):
I'm not very complicated person, to be honest. If something's name in 2023 is (or begins with) Soudal, it's Soudal for me. If Miss Quinn marries Mr Smith on 1 January 2023 and she decides to take his name, I will call her Mrs Smith from that date onwards.

Second (not true, but it sounds good and it adds some seriousness to this not-so-serious discussion):
This poll is not only about pure entertainment. It's objective is also to educate forum users and to make them familiar with the new 2023 official team names, to help them avoiding "Soudal 2022 vs. Soudal 2023" confusion etc.

Third (also not very true):
Naming team as Soudal (and not as Quickstep) in the poll is a sign of my profound respect for the Soudal enterprise which, in this difficult time of economic recession, decides to spend enough money to deserve the first title sponsor place.

But regardless of whether Soudal is just Soudal or it is the new Quickstep - keep calm, cast your vote and have fun! ;)

First (and probably most true):
I'm not very complicated person, to be honest. If something's name in 2023 is (or begins with) Soudal, it's Soudal for me. If Miss Quinn marries Mr Smith on 1 January 2023 and she decides to take his name, I will call her Mrs Smith from that date onwards.

And I'd probably just continue calling her "Sophie" on a daily basis. Leaving "Mrs Smith" - or "Sophie Smith" - for more formal situations.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS