• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laurent Fignon died

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sad, sad news. His brave efforts at the TdF this year with that failing voice of his will remain in my memory. He was the image of courage, dignity and good humour in an appalling situation.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
RIP

Laurent was the first cyclinghero I noticed/remember as a child.
The man with the blonde hair.

article_fignon2.jpg

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Shame to lose such an iconic rider the long flowing blond hair in a tt will never be the same again, it spoke of his immense personality and distinguished himself from the almost identical looking thin riders nowadays

A

Anonymous

My first cycling hero as well and helped me get into riding alot more seriously 23 years ago or so...very sad news...a real champion, rest in peace Laurent Fignon.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
As long as I heard his type of cancer, last year, I knew that it was difficult for him. Very courageous (the fact that he was still commentating for the french tv this year) and enough unlucky. The Giro he lost from Moser, the TdF he lost in 89, the disappointment as a director of Paris-Nice (all of a sudden after the ASO's takeover there was a queue of sponsors, although disappeared previously) and in the end this damned sickness. RIP Laurent, your figure can not die!

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Very sad, sad news. Although he wasn't the most friendly rider of the peloton, he was a fighter, and was so till the end. Rest in peace.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
For many of my generation Fignon helped draw us to the sport; there was something about him and the uncompromising way he raced that was captivating and thrilling. One of the greats. We will not forget him.

TRENDING THREADS