• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Mével a chance for top5 GC now ?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Le Mével a chance for top5 GC now ?

So with the change in racing approach at Garmin due to Tyler going home.

They will as a team Look to Le Mével as a whole team - Should make a big difference.

Enough for a top 5 GC at the Giro ?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
The whole team dedicated to working for you won't help you to be faster in Zoncolan against team captains.

So the answer is:surely not enough at all.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
top 15 maybe, there too little TTs and too many steep climbs for a guy like lemevel to get into the top5. There are a lot of better pure climbers in this giro.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Anything is possible. He is on the team that has landed a rider in the top 10 in the Tour since 2008. So why not do something at the Giro?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I would say no, unless there is a random 56-man break that goes away, but even, I think the amount of MTF's will be too hard for him. Whilst they are hard stages, I would say stage's 17 and 18 which look like they could favour a breakaway, which is Le Mével's best bet IMO.

For those playing at home:

Stage 17:

stage_17_profile_600.jpg

Stage 18:

stage_18_profile_600.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
top 15 maybe, there too little TTs and too many steep climbs for a guy like lemevel to get into the top5. There are a lot of better pure climbers in this giro.

le mevel is a climber and not an itt rider :rolleyes:

They haven't gone over a Cat 1 or 2 yet... I had him 20th in my predictions, but as he's shown some form I think he can manage 10th to 15th.

The team has nothing to help Le Mevel with. Millar would be "ok" but he will probably pull out before it gets too tough. Peterson is the only one who you would think could make it over the first couple of climbs in a day.

Millar will lose pink today or Friday, after that they will have Fischer contending the bunch sprints, but with far less of the support they would have given Tyler. Le Mevel riding for a good GC position - but unless he's say, top5 or so after Etna he isn't likely to get much protection. Meyer and Peterson will go stage hunting, possibly earlier than previously expected.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
They haven't gone over a Cat 1 or 2 yet... I had him 20th in my predictions, but as he's shown some form I think he can manage 10th to 15th.

The team has nothing to help Le Mevel with. Millar would be "ok" but he will probably pull out before it gets too tough. Peterson is the only one who you would think could make it over the first couple of climbs in a day.

Millar will lose pink today or Friday, after that they will have Fischer contending the bunch sprints, but with far less of the support they would have given Tyler. Le Mevel riding for a good GC position - but unless he's say, top5 or so after Etna he isn't likely to get much protection. Meyer and Peterson will go stage hunting, possibly earlier than previously expected.

I think Stetina is there to help out in the mountains too. Whether that amounts to anything is questionable.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
who knows?wiggins,hesjedal and now le mevel.but i think even a top 15 will be good for him.

That's what I said. Alot of people are saying the scenario is ridiculous. I'm not ruling anything out until the Giro ends, or if he somehow ends up over 30 minutes down on GC.

Ferminal said:

Stetina has the makings of a decent young climber.

I don't think that Le Mevel is a real contender for a top 5 place, but a top 10 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
hmm, I really think le Mevel can get a top 10 even without a Arroyo/Pereiro scenario.

Le Mevel has shown promising climbing ability in other GTs before and if we can trust his own propositions he hasn't even tried for GC in those.

So now is the first time he will put everything in for a top ranking in GC and I'm very positive that he will get a top 10 and maybe even a top 5.

Who would have thought that Ryder could get 7th in GC at last years tour?

Le Mevel finished 15th on Mont Ventoux in the Tour 2009, with 4 breakaways finishing in front of him, making him 11th fastest up it. I suppose that is maybe not exactly true because the bunch split before the bottom of the climb though. He also finished 15th up to Verbier in that Tour as well as 11th to Le Grand Bornand.

Very respectable performances but top 5 requires a big leap on from there. Lets see what he can do in the first mountain stage.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
He managed top 10 in Tour de France on FDJeux' white bread and pasta diet.

With proper training and nutrition in Garmin there's no limit to what he can do. He obviously has potential for a top 5. If he'll do it in this Giro, I'm not sure. With proper help from Garmin top 10 should be within reach.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:

Too little TT??

Le Mevel is one of the worst TTers in the peleton.

But a great climber.

TRENDING THREADS