• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Maillot Blanc

Who wins the white jersey?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
This will be the only jersey we don't have a thread for I believe. So here it is. Who takes home Le Maillot Blanc this year?

The (qualified) Riders via Steephill
Racing age: 25 (15 riders)
CIMOLAI Davide LAM
DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David TNE
DEGENKOLB John GIA
DELAPLACE Anthony BSE
FONSECA Armindo BSE
IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI Jon MOV
JARRIER Benoit BSE
KING Benjamin GRS
MAJKA Rafal TCS
MOLARD Rudy COF
REICHENBACH Sébastien IAM
SANTOS SIMOES OLIVEIRA Nelson Filipe LAM
SLAGTER Tom Jelte GRS
TRENTIN Matteo OPQ
VIVIANI Elia CAN

Racing age: 24 (8 riders)
BARDET Romain ALM
DUMOULIN Tom GIA
HERRADA LOPEZ Jesus MOV
KWIATKOWSKI Michal OPQ
MATTHEWS Michael OGE
PETIT Adrien COF
PINOT Thibaut FDJ
SAGAN Peter CAN

Racing age: 23 (2 riders)
DEMARE Arnaud FDJ
DURBRIDGE Luke OGE

Racing age: 22 (2 riders)
COQUARD Bryan EUC
YATES Simon OGE

Racing age: 21 (1 riders)
VAN POPPEL Danny TFR

Only a few serious contenders however (with some being more serious contenders then others).
Contenders
Majka
Pinot
Kwiatkowski
Bardet
Dumoulin

After a Giro with so many young contenders, this Tour sure lacks in this department.

I think Bardet will win it. He was hitting wonderful shape at the end of Dauphine and he's a bright talent. He might be the Aru of this Tour. Only problem is the cobbled stage, but if he gets through it safe a top5 is within reach.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:
After a Giro with so many young contenders, this Tour sure lacks in this department.

I think Bardet will win it. He was hitting wonderful shape at the end of Dauphine and he's a bright talent. He might be the Aru of this Tour. Only problem is the cobbled stage, but if he gets through it safe a top5 is within reach.

I agree, I think up a MTF Pinot is still better, but i think Bardet is the better racer, and I think this Tour will bring racers to the fore.
For all this talk of Kwiatkowski, and him racing too much and being burned out, I don't think I've seen it mentioned that he has failed everytime the pace goes on up a real mountain. Too much punch not enough endurance? I don't think he's over raced so much as just lacking/too heavy for long steep climbs.

SafeBet said:

I would be really surprised if that happened:eek:- though you did say within reach.

If Izaguirre didn't have to ride for Valverde I think he could have also been a challenger.

Voted Kwiatkowski, because I really hope he got his form back in time. But it does not look too good. He won his National TT Championships but was distanced again during the road race.
So I belive it is Pinot's to take but I hope Kwiatek proves me wrong. :)

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of medium mountain/hilly stages (2, 7, 9, 11) this year, so I think, given his outspoken Amstel ambitions for the future, Dumoulin is going to focus on that. Combined with the work he has to do for Kittel/Degenkolb, I don't think he'll really try to minimize time losses on the big stages.

That's in line with this quote from an interview he gave (rough and quick translation):

[After his placing in Swiss] "I don't think it's possible in the Tour at the moment. Maybe, if I would really focus on that, I might be able to get a top-20 finish, but that's not really going to help me or my team. Priorities are stage victories with Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb and, besides that, I'm probably to get my chances to attack and ride for my own chances in certain stages. However, riding for the GC at the Tour might be something for the future."

Dutch:
"In de Tour is dit niet mogelijk op dit moment. Misschien als ik me er echt op zou richten, kan ik in de top-twintig eindigen, maar daar schieten ik en de ploeg weinig mee op. Prioriteit zijn zeges met Marcel Kittel en John Degenkolb. En daarnaast zal ik in bepaalde ritten wel de kans krijgen om in de aanval en voor mijn eigen kans te gaan. Maar een klassement in de Tour de France, dat is misschien iets voor later"

Bron: Wielerupdate.nl

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Of the 3 Dutchies, the Butcher will come on top. I do not think they will manage to wear that yersey in Paris. It looks like a Frenchman will have that honour.
It could be that Danny gets it in the first days. But it will be hard to beat Degenkolb.

lennart said:
Of the 3 Dutchies, the Butcher will come on top. I do not think they will manage to wear that yersey in Paris. It looks like a Frenchman will have that honour.
It could be that Danny gets it in the first days. But it will be hard to beat Degenkolb.
Yes, Degenkolb will have it on loan.. Sagan in yellow

Svetty said:
Talansky is 25 so is my vote :D
Born in '88
-------------------------------

Bardet is my choice

TRENDING THREADS