• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour '19 stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 126km

After a hectic stage, which saw Quintana take his third stage win in the Tour de France and Alaphilippe managing to hold on to the yellow jersey, there is another chance to strike tomorrow in the penultimate mountain stage to Tignes.

3d70e

A short stage it is, which includes five categorized climbs, with the mighty 2770 meter tall Col d'Iseran (HC), which is the Souvenir Henri Desgrange this year. Before the main course that is Iseran, the appetizers Côte de Saint-André, Montée d'Aussois (a new climb in the Tour) and Col de la Madeleine must be endured first.

2e291

The first climb is the cat 3 Côte de Saint-André, which is a 3 km long climb at 6,8% and serves as a warm up...

tour-de-france-2019-stage-19-climb-3a355dbf0e.jpg

...before Montée d'Aussois, which starts at Modane, gives the riders a taste of what is to come - 6,5 km with an average of 6,2%. There isn't an official profile for this climb, but the profile by PCS (which paints the climb as 1,5 km longer and less steep - perhaps because they include a flat stretch at the end?) suggests a rather regular climb with a more stingy middle section…

tour-de-france-2019-stage-19-climb-n2-5464b7d3b1.jpg

...before riding in a plateau at 1500 meters above sealevel the following 25 kms, where the start of the Col de la Madeleine lies - no, it is not the Col de la Madeleine, but its little twin sister in the Maurienne valley…

tour-de-france-2019-stage-19-climb-n3-ce58e003ca.jpg

...and with no descent, the riders will continue to ride at an altitude of 1700 meters. In fact, they will stay consistently 1500 meters above sea level the rest of the stage. This continues for a while, before they approach the 13 km long and irregular Col d'Iseran, whose summit is the highest point of the race...

...and on top of that, there are bonus seconds to take, which might come in handy in a Tour as close as this one. It is a climb the Tour hasn't visited since 2007, so the riders won't know it as they know Tourmalet or Alpe d'Huez. From Col d'Iseran the riders descend down to the bottom of the last climb only visited by the Tour onc in 2007; it is Montée du Tignes which is slightly more merciful...

02b2d

...being only 7,5 kilometers long with an average incline of 7%. The very same place Michael Rasmussen rode himself into the yellow jersey, and until his abandon was stronger than his competitors in the 2007 Tour de France.

Tour+de+France+Stage+Eight+3oxRcX1bsxdx.jpg

As then, the climb is followed by a 1,5 km flat to the finish line in Tignes.

General classification on before stage 19:

1. Julian ALAPHILIPPE (DQS)
2. Egan BERNAL (INEOS) + 1'30''
3. Geraint THOMAS (INEOS) + 1'35''
4. Steven KRUIJSWIJK (Jumbo) + 1'47''
5. Thibaut PINOT (FDJ) + 1'50''
6. Emanuel BUCHMANN (Bora) + 2'14''
7. Nairo QUINTANA (Movistar) + 3'54''
8. Mikel LANDA (Movistar) + 4'54''
9. Rigoberto URAN (EF1) + 5'33''
10. Alejandro VALVERDE (Movistar) + 5'58''

Green jersey competition:

1. Peter SAGAN (Bora) 309
2. Elia VIVIANI (DQS) 224
3. Sonny COLBRELLI (Merida) 203
4. Michael MATTHEWS (Sunweb) 201
5. Caleb EWAN (Lotto) 198

Polka-dot jersey competition:

1. Romain BARDET (AG2R) 86
2. Tim WELLENS (Lotto) 74
3. Damiano CARUSO (B. Merida) 60
4. Nairo QUINTANA (Movistar) 33
5. Thibaut PINOT (FDJ) 50

Youth classification:

1. Egan BERNAL (INEOS)
2. not determined yet, likely David GAUDU (FDJ)
3. not determined yet, likely Enric MAS (DQS)

I have experienced problems connecting to the forum almost every day during the Tour, especially today where haven't been able to access this place since early morning, when I made this post - and someone must probably do the stage OP for the last stages. Websites ledicodutour.com (facts about climbs and cities) and meteonews.fr (weather forecasts for cities and climbs) can be of great help, as they have been for me. See you after the great update, which can come too soon! :D btw Bernal to win the Tour and continue INEOS/SKY-dominance! :eek:

Re: Le Tour '19 stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 1

So, going by todays stage, attack 3km from the top of Iseran, drop Alaphilippe, by a minute or so.
Alaphilippe returns in the descend, and then Tignes isn't long/hard enough to drop him again.

And everything can be played for on Val Thorens.

Bernal needs to attack hard on the Iseran. Highest altitude of the race, he should be using the terrain to his advantage. If he wants to Tignes, he may only take 20-30 seconds, which could leave him too far behind for Saturday.

Thomas does not have the legs this year it seems. He should be working for Bernal at this point

Re:

houtdffan said:
Thomas does not have the legs this year it seems. He should be working for Bernal at this point
At no point in the history of the tour would the defending champ who is 3rd in GC, only 5 seconds behind his 22 year old team mate be expected to work for him. Except when he is British.

If the HC is ridden hard, maybe the finish can cause gaps, but only if that happens. I assume Ineos won't leave it until the last day, so do expect them to push hard on this stage. Any riders that aren't recovered from today are probably getting dropped hard on Iseran (assuming there is a good tempo).

Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
houtdffan said:
At no point in the history of the tour would the defending champ who is 3rd in GC, only 5 seconds behind his 22 year old team mate be expected to work for him. Except when he is British.

However, Bernal has easily dropped Thomas on 3 straight mountain stages. Bernal has been the stronger rider this year, and the terrain favors him over Thomas with the high altitude the next 2 days.

I was pessimistic about todays stage but I'm quite optimistic about this one. I think the Iseran will be a bloodbath with todays stage in the riders legs and as Movistar almost has to attack there. Alaphilippe will again drop (although he might also again rejoin the other favorites on the quite technical descent) and eventually lose yellow. I have this bad feeling of Ineos swapping the tactics from today and letting Thomas attack first leading to a stage win and yellow for him. I don't even dislike Thomas and Ineos were surprisingly bareable this tour, but for once having such an open race and it ending with the same result as the last years would be so anticlimactic.

Gigs_98 said:
I was pessimistic about todays stage but I'm quite optimistic about this one. I think the Iseran will be a bloodbath with todays stage in the riders legs and as Movistar almost has to attack there. Alaphilippe will again drop (although he might also again rejoin the other favorites on the quite technical descent) and eventually lose yellow. I have this bad feeling of Ineos swapping the tactics from today and letting Thomas attack first leading to a stage win and yellow for him. I don't even dislike Thomas and Ineos were surprisingly bareable this tour, but for once having such an open race and it ending with the same result as the last years would be so anticlimactic.

I share your sentiment and also wouldn't be surprised if Thomas went up the road. But one still needs to have the legs for it. Bernal looks a little stronger, now. Could someone else disrupt proceedings (Pinot, Kruijswijk, Buchmann, Alaphilippe)? Maybe, but today it looked like Ineos had the upper hand again.

Gigs_98 said:
I have this bad feeling of Ineos swapping the tactics from today and letting Thomas attack first leading to a stage win and yellow for him. I don't even dislike Thomas and Ineos were surprisingly bareable this tour, but for once having such an open race and it ending with the same result as the last years would be so anticlimactic.
That would be an anticlimax indeed, but now that Bernal is ahead of him it has become less likely. If Thomas attacks, Pinot will close the gap like he did today. The only chance for Thomas is to wait for the final km on the two remaining MTFs and take bonus seconds. Let's hope it won't be decided like that.

I think they will drop Alaphilippe on the Iséran, and Bernal will take yellow tomorrow and become the youngest Tour winner since Romain Maes in 1935.

TRENDING THREADS