• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour is nearly over - time to make nice?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
This Tour has taken it's toll - not just on the riders but me!!!

I have noticed as the Tour has progressed a lot less impartiality, objectivity and in particular a lot less respect and tolerance towards other posters.

I guess I am tired of all the fanboy/reverse fanboy back and forth.

I think it is time to try and bury this....not the views just the nastiness.
I enjoy all objective and stimulating comments and want those who may be new or may not have posted to contribute and join in with the debate whatever their opinion.

I believe we have a great forum here - I pretty much use this exclusively for keeping abreast of the sport I love and even though I am a newcomer and only here a short while, I have learned sooo much from many smart, knowledgeable and objective posters.

I think it is time to stop with the personal nastiness that has ruined many good threads.

PS... I will happily admit this post is sponsored and fueled by Warsteiner..

Enjoy Ventoux!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

I have noticed as the Tour has progressed a lot less impartiality, objectivity and in particular a lot less respect and tolerance towards other posters.

I enjoy all objective and stimulating comments and want those who may be new or may not have posted to contribute and join in with the debate whatever their opinion.

I believe we have a great forum here - I pretty much use this exclusively for keeping abreast of the sport I love and even though I am a newcomer and only here a short while, I have learned sooo much from many smart, knowledgeable and objective posters.

I think it is time to stop with the personal nastiness that has ruined many good threads.

Enjoy Ventoux!

I agree i don't think i have ever seen the word douche used so often in such a short period of time. And i find that very annoying as i am quite fond of
douche & appreciate the world is a much better place than it would be if douche did not exist....

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Enjoy Ventoux!

Great Thought - THANKS

I'm wondering what many of the posters on this board would do if they couldn't ***** endlessly here

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not much of an internet forum hound. I think when Cycling News overhauled their website is when I found this message board. My brief experience has been mostly enlightening and entertaining. I just can't get my small brain around the bashing. It just strikes me as childish.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
My 2nd day on this site and 1st time as a blogger on any site. Already thinking of putting away the keyboard due to the fanboy/hater/douche drivel. How boring. I know anonymity breeds overinflated self-confidence but damn it, this is a cycling thread and cyclists (in my land anyway) are pretty easygoing types. If your favourite cyclist beats my favourite cyclist up Ventoux, who cares? My kids will still love me and my bikes will still let me take them out of the garage. My only request to those who still resort to personal attacks - PLEASE be creative, clever, and funny. At least let me have a laugh if you have nothing constructive to write.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
My 2nd day on this site and 1st time as a blogger on any site. Already thinking of putting away the keyboard due to the fanboy/hater/douche drivel. How boring. I know anonymity breeds overinflated self-confidence but damn it, this is a cycling thread and cyclists (in my land anyway) are pretty easygoing types. If your favourite cyclist beats my favourite cyclist up Ventoux, who cares? My kids will still love me and my bikes will still let me take them out of the garage. My only request to those who still resort to personal attacks - PLEASE be creative, clever, and funny. At least let me have a laugh if you have nothing constructive to write.

Again that is pretty much right it right there.... A couple of weeks ago the opposing sides were at least somewhat civil - and often quite witty.

However in the last few days it has become very hard to make a comment without being put in one corner or another and I believe this stops many new viewers to the forum making a contribution which I believe is not fair.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
a lot of this starts with the deliberate and immediate replies to posters here in such a patronizing manner telling everyone how to post and when to post and where to post. in addition the propensity of some members to give us a constant list of what is and isnt a good argument or point. It almost seems like there is a locals only attitude among senior members who get a little ****y because they didnt think of something first because they were here first.
bowlofdick to the lot

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Get Lost tour bring on La Vuelta

I hope the Ventoux stage brings some excitement to what has been a very dull, boring, closed route. I hope Prudhomme learns that you can't base a whole tour around 1 stage at the end. Let's hope also that the ttt is adjusted so it isn't so descisive.

I can't wait for the Vuelta which is going to have a cracker of a field and interesting route.

P.S. The tour route has done a lot of damage to the tour as it hasn't been overly thrilling.

Yeah good comments Maserati, the main thing that annoys me is that I look at a thread title and think that looks interesting only to find it has devolved into a slandering match with no relevance to the subject whatsoever.

Although, there was a poster a while back called jackhammer or something like that who ended up asking another guy to fly to Ohio for a fight after the typical LA back and forth. Sometime - just sometimes - the ridiculesness verges on the brilliant

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
A pleasing thought and suggestion, Dr. M., though I think you'll find that the slagging off has been going on since long before the Tour started. Sadly therefore, I don't expect it to stop with the end of the race unless certain posters receive brain transplants.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
surely the point of forums is the overtly opinionated mouthing off where no one can tell them to shut up.

hopefully the fight in Ohio will be on facetube

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I was here first. I know what should be said and not said on here. All your posts should be run through me so I can determine if I thought of it first or not because I was here first

TRENDING THREADS