• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leadville - who cares?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
As of 18 Aug I cant help noticing that Aug 15ths Leadville 100 is top bill under "Races And Results".
I'm sure it's a great race, and I know that Lance was in it taking on Dave Wiens (you know, that NORBA racer from the early 90's) but come on - how can an amatuer MTB enduro, without even one world cup racer in it, get higher billing than the following real professional races:

Eneco Tour August 18-25,
Vattenfall Cyclassics August 16
Belgian National Time Trial Championship
UCI Junior World Track Championships August 11-15
USA National Criterium Championships August 15-16

Come on, Lance is interesting, but not at the expense of real racing.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
maximus1970 said:
As of 18 Aug I cant help noticing that Aug 15ths Leadville 100 is top bill under "Races And Results".
I'm sure it's a great race, and I know that Lance was in it taking on Dave Wiens (you know, that NORBA racer from the early 90's) but come on - how can an amatuer MTB enduro, without even one world cup racer in it, get higher billing than the following real professional races:

Eneco Tour August 18-25,

I agree with you. Just another example how Cyclingnews has lost its way. First we get a substandard redesigned site in which you can't find anything (maybe it's just that there is nothing worth finding anymore). Then we get badly written tabloid articles. Now we get this bs.

The Eneco Tour starts tomorrow and they just posted the start list today. Cyclingnews needs to get their priorities back in line. Starting with redesigning this website that was designed by a bunch of five year olds and focusing on real racing.

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I think it gets top billing due to the number of clicks it receives - how many people are reading about it. At first it was buried now it's on top. Nothing to stress over, I'm sure.

Just to let you know, la Gazzetta dello Sport devoted several articles to it...and they even billed it up as a grueling, noble event. I don't doubt that it's grueling, but I always thought how pathetic. So a 7 time Tour winner, who then is coming just off a Tour a month ago, beats up on some amatuers. The man's ego stroking knows no limits!

The cycling business, is just in the worst of times evidently.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Just to let you know, la Gazzetta dello Sport devoted several articles to it...and they even billed it up as a grueling, noble event. I don't doubt that it's grueling, but I always thought how pathetic. So a 7 time Tour winner, who then is coming just off a Tour a month ago, beats up on some amatuers. The man's ego stroking knows no limits!

The cycling business, is just in the worst of times evidently.

You guys just kill me, too much time in your hands to just bash LA. Unfortunately for all of you, LA increases the time viewers spend on CN which means advertisers get a better return on their investment. If you want a site covering just what you want then by all mean create one.

enough said.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Amatuer racers? Last time I checked the field was stacked with some pretty solid riders besides lance. Dave Weins is one of the great US mountain biking legends. Dave was a 1996 olympic Gold medalist, two time mountain bike world cup winner, and won the US mountain bike national championships twice. I also wouldn't be calling Travis Brown and Matt Shriver amatures either. Anyone who knows anything about mountain biking knows this. Shriver has won multiple colligate national championships, represented the United States at cyclocross worlds this past season, rode on Jittery Joes while racing road, and is now the cycling coach at Fort Lewis College. If you look through the results and you know anyhting about mountain biking its pretty clear that the field wasn't a bunch of amatures.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
maximus1970 said:

Eneco Tour August 18-25,

Amatuer racers? Last time I checked the field was stacked with some pretty solid riders besides lance. Dave Weins is one of the great US mountain biking legends. Dave was a 1996 olympic Gold medalist, two time mountain bike world cup winner, and won the US mountain bike national championships twice. I also wouldn't be calling Travis Brown and Matt Shriver amateurs either. Anyone who knows anything about mountain biking knows this. Shriver has won multiple collegiate national championships, represented the United States at cyclocross worlds this past season, rode on Jittery Joes while racing road, and is now the cycling coach at Fort Lewis College. If you look through the results and you know anything about mountain biking its pretty clear that the field wasn't a bunch of amateurs.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Why was he racing in Mellow Johnny's kit and not Livestrong? Guess his shop needs more promotion than cancer does. Has anyone heard him mention one-****ing-word about cancer this year?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
bkbkbk said:
Amatuer racers? Last time I checked the field was stacked with some pretty solid riders besides lance. Dave Weins is one of the great US mountain biking legends. Dave was a 1996 olympic Gold medalist, two time mountain bike world cup winner, and won the US mountain bike national championships twice. I also wouldn't be calling Travis Brown and Matt Shriver amateurs either. Anyone who knows anything about mountain biking knows this. Shriver has won multiple collegiate national championships, represented the United States at cyclocross worlds this past season, rode on Jittery Joes while racing road, and is now the cycling coach at Fort Lewis College. If you look through the results and you know anything about mountain biking its pretty clear that the field wasn't a bunch of amateurs.

Agreed. Most these nanny goats don't know that there is a pro mountain bike circuit.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Listen

brettok said:
Has anyone heard him mention one-****ing-word about cancer this year?

Yes. More than one word. You have to listen, however. Most of the Lance-bashers on this forum are better at shouting than listening. Standing by for the "fanboy" comments...

for example:
"LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Summit starts in one week! Why we are having this event? This is why! http://bit.ly/14VxW7
4:33 PM Aug 16th from UberTwitter "

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
But wasn't his RACING comeback supposed to promote cancer awareness? Can't see that his shop needed to be promoted in front of all those people rather than 'the cause'.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Rupert said:
Yes. More than one word. You have to listen, however. Most of the Lance-bashers on this forum are better at shouting than listening. Standing by for the "fanboy" comments...

for example:
"LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Summit starts in one week! Why we are having this event? This is why! http://bit.ly/14VxW7
4:33 PM Aug 16th from UberTwitter "

One year later.....nice to see he finally got around to it.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
In answer to the title of the thread - a lot of people (according to our traffic data). USA crits was second biggest race on Monday, keeping in mind that Vattenfall Cyclassics actually took place a day earlier, so the majority of the traffic occurred a day earlier.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
maximus1970 said:

Eneco Tour August 18-25,

+1.........

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
This forum is for feedback about the website. Why is this even here?

If this Leadville race were getting as much exposure without Lance Armstrong you wouldn't even notice. And if you did notice, you wouldn't feel compelled to comment on it. Get over it already.