• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leipheimer beats up on some local amateurs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Reigning World Pursuit Champion Taylor Phinney (Trek-Livestrong) attempted a solo move after a cagey running start into a tight right turn descent. The young talent held more than a minute margin over the peloton for 20 kms before being reabsorbed.

"I'm here to do what I can this week," said Phinney, who receives training guidance from Armstrong. "I think this first day was the most decisive. I'll probably just go with breakaway tactics and play our cards as best we can. It's cool to be here with Lance racing too. I'll do whatever he tells me I'm supposed to do."

Christ! I hope not.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I think Stetina chasing Levi will get him a bigger and better contract next year.
I think Lance and Horner and Levi will add lustre to the story of this race.
People will sit up and noticce who wins next year, as opposed to the last few years.

Off the top of one's head, NO ONE knows who won, right?
Right!

Grow up.
Except for a few riders, none are in contention to win anyway.
THey will tell their grandkids about riding with the greatest rider in history.
And staying with him on such and such climb.

Levi and Lance talked about it in the bus.
How would Baldwin feel if Levi gifted it to him?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Conti riders should just ride slower than usual so they don't get any speed work and end up sucking at the Giro. :D

Then plan on an old fashioned feed zone break where they get off the bikes and open up picnic baskets and stop for a half hour :D

That'll show um.:p

I guess if it is now Levi's Goal to win Gila, it means bottle for the rest of the season :D, that's all they let him have Cali and Gila then to work.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Leipheimer's arrogant attitude saying "Kelly Benefits was professional today" like somehow they are sometimes not >>> shows Levi's arrogant and mocking attitude. It shows how disconnected he is with reality, and the gains he has seen with the Astana "veys."

It shows how well the Astana "medical program" has worked for him. Lance has given other riders crap out in California too, "you need to ride out there to that mountain, dont drive and ride it."

If the "kazachstanian" riders were totally clean in this race they would looose. There are lots of good relatively clean pros out there, guys that could win Tours if suped up on a Postal/Disco/Astana "program."

Horner is probably the most naturally talented rider they have on Astana! But the "program" doesnt work as well on him.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
its not the Bissell riders who were sent home
it is the rules lord armstrong is able to bend at a flick of his lever.

sure he is a catch but no rider should be able to alter a major tour route , or **** with the WADA testing guidelines or start racing before the 6 month UCI set notice period. when does it end?

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Leipheimer's arrogant attitude saying "Kelly Benefits was professional today" like somehow they are sometimes not >>> shows Levi's arrogant and mocking attitude. It shows how disconnected he is with reality, and the gains he has seen with the Astana "veys."

It shows how well the Astana "medical program" has worked for him. Lance has given other riders crap out in California too, "you need to ride out there to that mountain, dont drive and ride it."

If the "kazachstanian" riders were totally clean in this race they would looose. There are lots of good relatively clean pros out there, guys that could win Tours if suped up on a Postal/Disco/Astana "program."

Horner is probably the most naturally talented rider they have on Astana! But the "program" doesnt work as well on him.

why do you watch this sport anyway since you hate it. I've been trying to ignore you but do you seriously believe this crap that's coming out of your mouth or are you just trying to get a reaction out of posters stop hijacking threads

I'm thinking Lance and Levi should enter a few Cat 5 races before they head back to Europe. That way those races can get some publicity, and the guys they race against will be able to tell their grand children they raced against Lance.

What do you guys think?

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm thinking Lance and Levi should enter a few Cat 5 races before they head back to Europe. That way those races can get some publicity, and the guys they race against will be able to tell their grand children they raced against Lance.

What do you guys think?

The best metaphor I have read about this came from another forum. It was compared to the creepy college guys who showed up at high school trawling for girls.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

What do you guys think?
Why have you got a picture of Pascal Richard as your avatar?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
"Grow up.
Except for a few riders, none are in contention to win anyway.
THey will tell their grandkids about riding with the greatest rider in history.
And staying with him on such and such climb."

I couldn't disagree more.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It was compared to the creepy college guys who showed up at high school trawling for girls.

Not so much a metaphor as I think he has trawled all of the colleges and the girls in Austin know what he's like.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't get it? SRAM is the title sponsor of this race so they are there to promote the race, what should they do lose the race? Obviously you guys just hate Lance and Astana by default. I'm not a fan of either but don't really care to see them through the race. There is a reason why most of these guys are US national rides and not pro tour riders so what did you expect?

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Isn't it sort of circular logic that since most US races are not high level, the best riders should stay away from them and race in Europe? Sort of reminds me of Bill & Ted:

Bill: Ted, while I agree that, in time, our band will be most triumphant. The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar.
Ted: Yes, Bill. But, I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video.
Bill: Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we even have decent instruments.
Ted: Well, how can we have decent instruments when we don't really even know how to play?
Bill: That is why we NEED Eddie Van Halen!
Ted: And THAT is why we need a triumphant video.
Bill, Ted: EXCELLENT!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:

God, it must be rough on walking around with all this inside info you have on doping w/Astana. Are you Astana's pusher? Want to come clean?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Because I liked the guy. He always seemed to have a smile on his face and have fun riding.

Why shouldn't I?
No reason, just interested. Used to like him as he rode for Helvetia. Not so impressed with the direction a lot of those riders chose when the team folded though.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:

And your evidence of this is what, exactly? You are just another hater, that uses your own conjecture to replace any fact or evidence!

What Medical program are you talking about? What riders tested positive, like the old Telekom Team or even Gerolsteiner? None? I thought so.

Stop throwing accusations just because you don't like someone. So childish.

I hated the Oakland Raiders growing up, but I didn't go around accusing them of secrecy and cheating. I just cheered for my team to beat them.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Because I liked the guy. He always seemed to have a smile on his face and have fun riding.

Why shouldn't I?

When I was training in Switzerland back in the day I rode by Pascal Richard coming the other way in his Linda McCartney gear and he was fully greased up. I mean hair slicked back, legs oiled, fat gold - the full Euro trash look. I waved at him cause I was a also a big fan and he looked at me like "who the fux is this guy". It was cool.

Has a small men's fashion shop in Vevey.

hulkgogan said:
When I was training in Switzerland back in the day I rode by Pascal Richard coming the other way in his Linda McCartney gear and he was fully greased up. I mean hair slicked back, legs oiled, fat gold - the full Euro trash look. I waved at him cause I was a also a big fan and he looked at me like "who the fux is this guy". It was cool.

Has a small men's fashion shop in Vevey.

LMAO what exactly is Linda McCartney gear?

I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world not ONE SINGLE RIDER is upset that Mellow Johnny team showed up. I bet they are all f'n stoked to be racing against them.

I play basketball in a local league, and if Michael Jordan and Shaq showed up and started a team I wouldn't be the least bit upset, just freaking thrilled to be playing against them.