• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leipheimer in the Mts w/out Horner

What effect will Horner's abandon have on Leipheimer in the mountains? Can he stay with Basso and Menchov?

What about the rest of Astana? Have they been taking it easy with the aim of going all out in the final week for Leipheimer in the mountains? The rest of their roster looks pretty strong--too strong, in fact, to have been performing so poorly. Has the apparent weakness of the team really just been some tactical Hoggery?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Means Armstrong has to be the guy. Or Bruyneel can always pay another team to help like he did for Savodelli in the 2005 Giro or for Heras in the 2002 Vuelta. He'll have to ask Lance for some money.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
well it lokks like lance will have to be the main man for levi, and he's looked good these last two days

JB will probably order Popo to look after him. LA will do some work for LL, but I doubt he'll kill himself on the climbs, the Tour isn't that far away.

Zoncolan said:
JB will probably order Popo to look after him. LA will do some work for LL, but I doubt he'll kill himself on the climbs, the Tour isn't that far away.

It depends also how much time LL is going to take in the ITT tomorrow from Di Luca, Basso, Menchov and Co. If Levi is ahead by few seconds, LA will have to do his best to help him, regardless if the Tour is coming. Astana might not be even participating and Lance is planning on having his own team. So putting his own individual goals first is not smart for the near future.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, Zoncolan - the chances of Armstrong sacrificing his ultimate goal of winning the TdF for Leipheimer to win the Giro are remote to say the least.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
linenoiz said:
Maybe we can get Horner to do the commentary for Universal!

Great idea! Universal needs a second commentator and Horner would be great. How about adding Ricco too! Do you know if he speaks english?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:

Hmmm. Seem to recall that Popo couldn't look after a cold last time we saw him in grand tour. LL will be isolated and fade away after tomorrows stage. It's every man for himself (or at least LA) at Discotana now.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Hmmm. Seem to recall that Popo couldn't look after a cold last time we saw him in grand tour. LL will be isolated and fade away after tomorrows stage. It's every man for himself (or at least LA) at Discotana now.

See how much Popo has improved since returning to Discotana?
That's because Silence only makes light medication, whereas Hog is a guru.;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
C'mon you read at least a hundred posts like this from others on this forum.:eek:

i know, just kidding you...it makes you wonder how popo is explaining his return to form, doesn't it? how p'd off must madiot/evans be?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
i know, just kidding you...it makes you wonder how popo is explaining his return to form, doesn't it? how p'd off must madiot/evans be?

Why should they be? Because he didn't work hard enough for the team/Cadel, or cause they had a B in chemistry?
Seriously though, a lot of riders blossom when they join Postal/Disco/Astana and when they leave, they're not half as good (or they get caught doping if they are).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
Why should they be? Because he didn't work hard enough for the team/Cadel, or cause they had a B in chemistry?
Seriously though, a lot of riders blossom when they join Postal/Disco/Astana and when they leave, they're not half as good (or they get caught doping if they are).

hmmm, why is that the ex discopostana riders don't just take their training programmes with them when they leave????? :confused:

i fear we my have drifted off topic.....

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
hmmm, why is that the ex discopostana riders don't just take their training programmes with them when they leave????? :confused:

i fear we my have drifted off topic.....

Budget, contacts, alliances?
Off topic? We'll leave it alone then.

I think Levi will still have good support from Popo, Jani, Navarro and Chechu, but like I said before, I doubt LA will kill himself for him.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Team is still as strong as any of the others in there for final week - I can't see his abandon having any effect on Levi winning the Giro or not.

TRENDING THREADS