• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leipheimer ???

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Leipheimer is eligible for return on March 1. Anybody knows if he got any offers? He was fired from QuickStep but they still have one spot open so I wouldn't be surprised if he got his job back since they are sponsored by Specialized.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
CCC Polsat Polkowice, EPM-Une or Efapel

or garmin

I didn't think Garmin had roster space? Vaughters has said several times he had a choice to go with Levi or young guys coming through his development system like Morton.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
leipheimers career is over and no, quickstep doesn't want him him back. they were already very unhappy about him last year and they fired him. good riddance

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't see him getting into a world tour team again. If he comes back at all it will definitely be for a US based team that is sure to ride Cali and the other US races. Maybe United health care, Bissel, Optum or Exergy?

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
I can't see him getting into a world tour team again. If he comes back at all it will definitely be for a US based team that is sure to ride Cali and the other US races. Maybe United health care, Bissel, Optum or Exergy?

Levi might be too arrogant to ride for Bissel (too big a step down for him). Granted, they are based in Santa Rosa so they're on friendly terms.

Jonas Carney would cut off his right arm before hiring him to ride at Optum. Jonas HATES dopers.

Long shot - BMC. Also have business HQ in Santa Rosa (Chilcott lives there, Och is in Palo Alto.) Levi has a good relationship with them. Levi's problem going back to any WT team is his reputation as a VERY demanding rider on team staff. (creates a lot of inter-team friction). Granted BMC has a few prima donnas already, so he may fit right in. BMC have no problem with ex-dopers. Levi would actually be an excellent super domestique for Cadel alongside Tejay at the TDF. It would be a (ruthless, ethically questionable) but smart play by BMC to hire him.

UHC is the best bet. Good structure, Pro Conti, they have no problem with dopers. Levi is on great terms with Lucas Euser who just transfered there. Attias and Raifman are shrewd business guys though... not sure they'll be able to come to financial terms with Levi. But, the team/sponsor has the money to do it. Levi would be an awesome addition for them because he'd stomp in some of those Europe races for them as well. Like Trentino, Portugal etc. UHC also has a team that should be able to support him well enough in Cali, Utah + Colo as well.

UHC it is (if they're willing to pay him what he'll accept)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
shouldawouldacoulda said:
Levi might be too arrogant to ride for Bissel (too big a step down for him). Granted, they are based in Santa Rosa so they're on friendly terms.

Jonas Carney would cut off his right arm before hiring him to ride at Optum. Jonas HATES dopers.

Long shot - BMC. Also have business HQ in Santa Rosa (Chilcott lives there, Och is in Palo Alto.) Levi has a good relationship with them. Levi's problem going back to any WT team is his reputation as a VERY demanding rider on team staff. (creates a lot of inter-team friction). Granted BMC has a few prima donnas already, so he may fit right in. BMC have no problem with ex-dopers. Levi would actually be an excellent super domestique for Cadel alongside Tejay at the TDF. It would be a (ruthless, ethically questionable) but smart play by BMC to hire him.

UHC is the best bet. Good structure, Pro Conti, they have no problem with dopers. Levi is on great terms with Lucas Euser who just transfered there. Attias and Raifman are shrewd business guys though... not sure they'll be able to come to financial terms with Levi. But, the team/sponsor has the money to do it. Levi would be an awesome addition for them because he'd stomp in some of those Europe races for them as well. Like Trentino, Portugal etc. UHC also has a team that should be able to support him well enough in Cali, Utah + Colo as well.

then why does he have zirbel on his team?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
How about Cannondale? American team with some GC needs? They have Basso for Giro but who will ride the Tour? Sure they have Sagan for the sprints but they should add some GC power.

... unless Joaquim Rodriguez is joining them

Jancouver said:
How about Cannondale? American team with some GC needs? They have Basso for Giro but who will ride the Tour? Sure they have Sagan for the sprints but they should add some GC power.

Hum... I don't know, Leipheimer hasn't featured in a GT since 2009 I think. Long time has passed and he isn't getting any younger,.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Jancouver said:

That is a great possibility as well. And Cdale has the space in their roster. It could be a good fit.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
leipheimers career is over and no, quickstep doesn't want him him back. they were already very unhappy about him last year and they fired him. good riddance

BTW, as much I think there's a possibility he could come back with a team like UHC. I really like your comment. I wish LL would just go away and good riddance.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
shouldawouldacoulda said:

Plus UHC lost Sutherland, one of their main guys. Leipheimer would be a good replacement for him.

TRENDING THREADS