• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LeMond: Six Steps to Eradicate Moto-fraud

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: LeMond: Six Steps to Eradicate Moto-doping

doperhopper said:
back to the post No. 1, Point No. 1 - UCI takes it "seriously": checks the whole peloton

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/139-mechanical-doping-checks-carried-out-at-omloop-het-nieuwsblad

and certainly, the whole show stays in the biopassport spirit (control doping instead of fighting it, in the name of clean "image"), looking just for brutal old methods no top team is using anymore (the usual IQ test) if there are e.g. these fancy EM induction wheels

Interesting. I notice the tests were carried out over two days. I wonder if the bikes were tagged and sequestered until the start of the race?

Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Maxiton said:
@NL_LeMondFans said:
Maxiton said:
blackcat said:
The original piece, could have been implying what you have written above, that actually, Lemond did have an aero profile CdA which in effect, made him quicker that Fignon, but Fignon was putting out more watts and watts per kilo.

does this clarify it any more... ???

Ultimately, it did. :) And I think the bold is right.

For the whole 89 Tour, maybe. Not for the last ITT, I don't think so. Later on (I think 1991), Greg did some wind tunnel tests and found out the Giro aero helmet he used was actually dragging him like a tiny parachute because of the small holes it had. It explains why Greg rode ITTs in 1991 without a helmet.

Nah, it was the ITT. That aero helmet might not have been perfect (and it weighed over 1 lbs / ~.45 kg, too) but in conjunction with the tri-bar and the rear disc, LeMond was way more aero than Fignon. (Fignon's front disk might have actually cost him time, too, due to increased difficulty in cornering.)

Anyway, as I recall that's what the study said, but who knows if it was accurate.

Equipment of famously dubious legality, as well.

(poor Fignon, the only man to - arguably - be cheated out of 3 separate GT wins.)

IIRC, Fignon had the very same access to the very same equipment at the time as LeMond or any other riders did. Not LeMonds(or any other riders) fault Fignon or his team weren't smart enough to use it for himself.

Nothing "ILLEGAL" about what Greg did, not then, not now.

TRENDING THREADS