• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lemond vs Lance

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Forum readers and writers,

Can I like both cycling legends? If I support or respect Lemond, how can I time and time again consider him a fool for his comments concerning Armstrong. I have chosen to support Lance. Watching him race has been better than any professional sport for me, I just never received the same inspiration/excitement from Lemond. Having said that, it hurts to turn a blind eye to one of America's cycling legends. Is there any way to show respect and admiration to both and ignore the constant Lemond whining and bickering?

A little advice please

May 23, 2010
Visit site
michaellemon1 said:

Can I like both cycling legends? If I support or respect Lemond, how can I time and time again consider him a fool for his comments concerning Armstrong. I have chosen to support Lance. Watching him race has been better than any professional sport for me, I just never received the same inspiration/excitement from Lemond. Having said that, it hurts to turn a blind eye to one of America's cycling legends. Is there any way to show respect and admiration to both and ignore the constant Lemond whining and bickering?

A little advice please

No...You're either with Lance all the way or you are with the terrists(greg LeMond)..If you have to like someone besides Lance it has to be someone in a speedo like Dave Scott.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Lemond was a fantastic champion with a great story. I don't care for some of his post-career decisions, but he was a remarkable cyclist and he really changed the face of cycling in America. He deserves much respect, imho. In many ways, it's unfortunate for US cycling that he and Armstrong have come to such loggerheads.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
michaellemon1 said:

A little advice please

Are you trying to be opaque? ;)

Armstrong issues again

I don't care about anything except that Armstrong raise as much money as possible for cancer research, he's now approaching about 1 billion dollars. So, whether he doped, whether he is a nice guy, or not, means almost nothing to me, except how it affects the ability to raise money for research. Otherwise, professional bike racing is a brutal sport, that is lovely to look at, but is all and still, just a sport

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Lemond was a fantastic champion with a great story. I don't care for some of his post-career decisions, but he was a remarkable cyclist and he really changed the face of cycling in America. He deserves much respect, imho. In many ways, it's unfortunate for US cycling that he and Armstrong have come to such loggerheads.

Loggerheads?

Look at his LA prediction in the Cyclingnews headlines and in my LeMond predictions thread in the clinic.;)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Loggerheads?

yeah, loggerheads!

"They frequently quarrell'd about their Sicilian wenches, and indeed... they seem... to be worth the going to Logger-heads for."

Look at his LA prediction in the Cyclingnews headlines and in my LeMond predictions thread in the clinic.;)

I saw his prediction. It confirms the negative aspect of my previous post. The two are so much at...loggerheads...that neither can use reason in discussing the other.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
rickibobbi said:
I don't care about anything except that Armstrong raise as much money as possible for cancer research, he's now approaching about 1 billion dollars. So, whether he doped, whether he is a nice guy, or not, means almost nothing to me, except how it affects the ability to raise money for research. Otherwise, professional bike racing is a brutal sport, that is lovely to look at, but is all and still, just a sport

try this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=howard/100528

When you say you 'don't care about anything except..' it makes you sound unreasonable. Not a criticism, just advice.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You know, I have been watching and following the Tour de France since before I could really watch it…back in the days of quick glimpses on Wide World of Sports and such. In more recent years, as coverage of cycling in America has become more pervasive, I have started following cycling in general. I do not cycle myself, which probably makes me a bit of an outsider, but I know the sport better than any recreational cyclist I personally know.

That being said, I have been a long time fan of many of the sports’ greats and many of its lesser stars. Lemond and Armstrong are both in that camp, and I have great respect for both of them. Lemond, however, has always been a bit of a whiner: it is just his nature, and that is okay. Since his public battles with Armstrong have started, he has also changed to play the part of a bitter old man. His star as America’s cycling hero has dimmed, in his eyes, due to Armstrong, and he seems to have a need to discredit Armstrong however he can. His latest “Lance Armstrong Prediction” was just childish and asinine.

Armstrong has been accused of many things, but nothing has ever stuck. If he truly is as evil as people make him out to be, it will surface one day. Until that day, I will be an Armstrong backer, but not an apologist. I am a Christian, and many things Armstrong has stated or written in books do not give any credit to help from God. He states that his recovery and ascent where a miracle…but, how is a miracle possible without divine help…it is at the very meaning of miracle.

Nobody is perfect and we all have enemies: and everyone tries their best to make their enemy look bad....some with more success than others.

Many years from now, both of these men will be considered greats of the sport, regardless of accusations. Ulrich and Riis have both admitted to doping many years after the fact...their legacies seem to be little tarnished.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:

i'd say LeMond had more of an impact on europe and Armstrong had a much larger effect on u.s. cycling.

ed rader

A

Anonymous

michaellemon1 said:

A little advice please

Prepare to lose any level of denial you have regarding the greatest fraud in sports...oh, and the tissues with the little bit of lotion in them are great when you are crying your eyes out because you have been gullible enough to buy into a lie anyone with a modicum of awareness saw.

A

Anonymous

wagman67 said:
You know, I have been watching and following the Tour de France since before I could really watch it…back in the days of quick glimpses on Wide World of Sports and such. In more recent years, as coverage of cycling in America has become more pervasive, I have started following cycling in general. I do not cycle myself, which probably makes me a bit of an outsider, but I know the sport better than any recreational cyclist I personally know.

That being said, I have been a long time fan of many of the sports’ greats and many of its lesser stars. Lemond and Armstrong are both in that camp, and I have great respect for both of them. Lemond, however, has always been a bit of a whiner: it is just his nature, and that is okay. Since his public battles with Armstrong have started, he has also changed to play the part of a bitter old man. His star as America’s cycling hero has dimmed, in his eyes, due to Armstrong, and he seems to have a need to discredit Armstrong however he can. His latest “Lance Armstrong Prediction” was just childish and asinine.

Armstrong has been accused of many things, but nothing has ever stuck. If he truly is as evil as people make him out to be, it will surface one day. Until that day, I will be an Armstrong backer, but not an apologist. I am a Christian, and many things Armstrong has stated or written in books do not give any credit to help from God. He states that his recovery and ascent where a miracle…but, how is a miracle possible without divine help…it is at the very meaning of miracle.

Nobody is perfect and we all have enemies: and everyone tries their best to make their enemy look bad....some with more success than others.

Many years from now, both of these men will be considered greats of the sport, regardless of accusations. Ulrich and Riis have both admitted to doping many years after the fact...their legacies seem to be little tarnished.

And Armstrong has always been quite a bit of a liar...and I think you are wrong about one of those guys, and his legacy. As a Christian, ask yourself, in light of the crap that is about to hit the fan for Armstrong, how you feel about the way he has treated others in his quest to keep his lies hidden.

A

Anonymous

Lance
34znc61.jpg

Lemond
100865_large.jpg

and lemond is far to ugly to have doped. Its well known that doping gives you handsome chisled looks ( cant remember how to spend chisel)

wagman67 said:
YHe states that his recovery and ascent where a miracle…but, how is a miracle possible without divine help…it is at the very meaning of miracle.
No, divine help is not necessarily at the very meaning of "miracle".

In casual usage, "miracle" may also refer to any statistically unlikely but beneficial event, (such as surviving a natural disaster), or simply a "wonderful" occurrence, regardless likelihood, such as a birth. Other miracles might be: survival of a terminal illness, escaping a life threatening situation or 'beating the odds.' Some coincidences are perceived to be miracles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle

Probably almost all atheists characterize many unlikely but beneficial events as being "miracles".

A

Anonymous

xFrankyBx said:
Mistake one using wikipedia. 2 Using atheists to discribe what a Christian belives. That's like asking all of you to think like a Lance supporter thinks. Just sayin.

I was not aware a Lance supporter could "think."

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My first post. Not so much because I like Lemond or Armstrong better but I find that forums generally keep me from spending time doing productive things by arguing with people about things I have no control over and are subjective at best, for example who is a better cyclist x or y, what martial art is better x or y, what kind of music is better x or y.....

I do have to say Lemond, who was a hero of mine for many years in my youth and I have had the opportunity to meet on several occasions, makes me saddened that I ever looked up to someone like him. Sad that I spent a summer mowing lawns and delivering newspapers to save up for my tri-color Lemond Malliot Jaune frame when I was 15 years old. Sad that for so many years I hung an autographed poster of him riding for the win on a certain July evening in 1989. And most of all, saddened that such a great man who accomplished so many things has succumbed to not lead pellets in his gut, but to bitterness and resentment of the one who he feels stole his legacy as the great American cyclist. Lemond to me is now merely an analogy for situations where saying something can net nothing of benefit, and yield only downside.

My two cents, for whatever that is worth (not much), Lemond seems like a bitter old man. I wouldnt say this if this were the first time he has lashed out or even if it was only Armstrong that he were after. With Lemond, its always someone elses fault, its Hinault or Guimard or Armstrong or Fignon. Even his blog about "the art of peaking" strays from the point and talks about the glory days in the first few paragraphs. He doesnt talk about the physiological points of peaking, but takes on the "I" perspective and how it relates to himself and his eventual decline. And I love his implication on how all the other riders just got faster and faster, coming from a man who still holds the second fastest time trial in the Tour De France 21 years later. I find the whole Armstrong drug implication to be more of the same, coming from a person who has never tested positive yet regarding someone who has tested positively exactly 0 times more than Lemond. He sounds exactly like a bible belt evangelist right winger telling everyone else what God wants them to do.

As for Lance, I dont really know if he has doped or not, I cant say that I 100% believe he is clean. But then again, I cant say that about Lemond either in the days where EPO first evolved and less testing was availible. And with practically every rival Lance or Lemond had admitting or being caught doping, well I guess if either of them did...then it would have been an even playing ground anyway. So now I have to ask myself, how have Lemond and Armstrong affected this world. One has touched the lives of millions in a positive and fullfilling way, helping cancer victims and raising awareness, while the other just sits on the sidelines and scorns people. Theres a place for both camps, for those who see the glass half empty and the glass half full, for those addicted to drama and for those who dont make excuses. Like who you want to and leave it at that rather than spending hours on end on these message boards bickering about whos better or who is right or wrong. You have your life to live and spend it focusing on making your life better instead of concerning yourself with what others do, like Lemond so often does.

Easier said than done though, i got suckered into spending 20 minutes writing this! (says with tongue in cheek)

TRENDING THREADS