• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LeMond

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
l its hard to take someone serious or respect someone who does not care for there health or body.

Good point. I'm sure nobody respected this guy either.:rolleyes:

277332.jpeg

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
the vagabond said:
dark cloud - Why didn't Le Mond out his sometimes roommate Fignon, who admitting being doped to the eyeballs? Why does he say he respects Fignon? Why isn't he trying to strip Riis, Pantani, and Ulrich of their TdeF titles, all of whom were certainly far more heavily doped than Armstrong? Why did he create a non-innovative cycling company and name all the bicycles after his own victory venues? Why did he gain 30 pounds as soon as he stopped riding? Why doesn't he seem to have any friends, except for the unstable outcast Floyd Landis?

I'll tell you why - because he's a sniveling, revengeful, vendetta-loving, jealous, money- and fame-hungry tool, that's why.

2m6adjc.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
lemond gained more like 80+pounds. there is a difference between being a little overweight and morbidly obese. its hard to take someone serious or respect someone who does not care for there health or body. when your quite overweight expect to be judged and treated differently than if you were healthy thats real life seen it at the work place and in social settings time and time again.

as for lemond he may be saying true things but its a obviously a bit personal when it comes to la they hate each other. though i here lemond is a nicer guy in general from anyone who has met him. la has a ****ty bullying personality so i can see how these things get going.

for an american to say a gain of 80 pounds is morbidly obese is a joke...

so LeMond cannot be taken seriously for having put on weight, like Merckx, or Aldo Sassi?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
the vagabond said:
dark cloud - Why didn't Le Mond out his sometimes roommate Fignon, who admitting being doped to the eyeballs? Why does he say he respects Fignon? Why isn't he trying to strip Riis, Pantani, and Ulrich of their TdeF titles, all of whom were certainly far more heavily doped than Armstrong? Why did he create a non-innovative cycling company and name all the bicycles after his own victory venues? Why did he gain 30 pounds as soon as he stopped riding? Why doesn't he seem to have any friends, except for the unstable outcast Floyd Landis?

Those are some pretty good questions, actually, up to the bikes part, anyway.

I'll tell you why - because he's a sniveling, revengeful, vendetta-loving, jealous, money- and fame-hungry tool, that's why.

Yes, but how do you feel?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I know MANY who put on that kind of weight post-racing career. Myself included. A young teen learns that they need tons of calories just to get by, that turns into limitless visits to McDonalds, feelings of invulnerability, high metabolism, etc.

And then the engine gets shut-off (but not the eating habits). No one really prepared me how to deal with a post-racing career nutrition plan. And I badly needed one. Years later, I had to start racing again to lose the weight. It was all I knew.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Weight gain

If this is the biggest indictment of Greg - that he is overweight - than I'm going to LOL. When, and if I see him again, I will tell him that this the worst thing people could come up with. I'm pretty sure he will get a good laugh out of it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure even his present day 'fat' self could completely lay the boots to just about everyone on this message board

FWIW: 5'10 and 145lb when I raced. Within one year of quitting I was 188lbs.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Just a side note: Do you think it upsets Greg at all that his old Road Frames now say Gary Fisher on the Down tube? Talk about a kick to the groin.

As much as I have trashed talked Greg, I would have a beer with him anytime.

I think Fisher knows a lot about bikes, pretty neat mountain bikes he has made.

But Fisher is a poser, caught up, still in the 60s. Greg could smoke Fisher in a bike race 12 out of 10 times. Therefore Fishers name on a road bike is hilareous. Still his cross frames are beautiful.

I bet Greg sees Fishers name on a road bike funny. I do.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
compete_clean said:
If this is the biggest indictment of Greg - that he is overweight - than I'm going to LOL. When, and if I see him again, I will tell him that this the worst thing people could come up with. I'm pretty sure he will get a good laugh out of it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure even his present day 'fat' self could completely lay the boots to just about everyone on this message board

FWIW: 5'10 and 145lb when I raced. Within one year of quitting I was 188lbs.

Me: same height, but 135 lbs. 10 years later: 210 lbs. 12 years later, back down to 170 (thanks to un-retirement).

Key to living now? Portion control. Exercise.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Me: same height, but 135 lbs. 10 years later: 210 lbs. 12 years later, back down to 170 (thanks to un-retirement).

...and Clen. C'mon BB, you can tell us. We can keep a secret. ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just as a matter of honesty, it is a fact that people gain weight for a variety of reasons, not all of which is stuffing your pie hole.
As we are not familiar with Greg's personal medical chart a few things that could have lead(literally) to his weight gain

Lead, as in quite a bit of it still in vital organs of his body. we ban things from China with miniscule amounts and here Greg has several ounces inside him.

Thyroid problems, many people get them. Could be a result of the above.

Diabete's.
and of course the normal slowing of the metabolism from adolescence. ALthough he was an adult when he retired , you could see he was gaining quite a bit of weight after his accident. Considering the only lifestyle he ever knew was trying to put more food in his body to fuel his racing, how was he supposed to know how little food it would take to maintain weight without an active lifestyle?

Finally , when people are going through stressful situations they tend to overeat. We all know Greg was coming to grips with his childhood trauma, something he had blocked out for years. It is lucky it didn't turn him into an alcoholic, i think dealing with something like that would produce significant stress and cause anyone to over/under eat.

Lots of potential factors and i find it highly distasteful that people on a cycling forum who know what kind of demons he had to deal with would try and say because he gained weight he was a doper. Just because your hero falls you want to bring the rest of the world down to his level.
sad

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
On the subject of chub..my race weight was 10st 4lbs for over a decade, by 40 I was 13 st+..no sudden incease but a gradual process, im 5`10" and raced at the same time ( and a few races) as Greg and his weight gain looks prety normal from were I`m standing.:D

May 11, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

After picking up the bike again 13 yrs after my last race, I got back down to 157lbs just doing some club and local racing with a couple of younger riders I was helping develop.

Traveling for work is basically the worst. I am consciously trying to eliminate bad food and not over eat. Exercise can be tough if you work a lot and have a family, and two houses to maintain, and travel for work ...

runninboy said:
Finally, when people are going through stressful situations they tend to overeat. We all know Greg was coming to grips with his childhood trauma, something he had blocked out for years. It is lucky it didn't turn him into an alcoholic, i think dealing with something like that would produce significant stress and cause anyone to over/under eat.

there is absolutely no way of overstating the possible effect of that childhood trauma. lemond is lucky to be alive, actually.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/07/bill-zeller-dead-princeto_n_805689.html

TRENDING THREADS