• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

L'Equipe - EPO bust in Barcelona

GVFTA

BANNED
“I hope we will start receiving names from the court next week, and we will start working on it,” said José Luis Terreros, director of the Spanish Anti-Doping Agency (AEPSAD). “We will deal with Spanish athletes, the rest will be sent to the World [Anti-Doping] Agency for distribution by their corresponding national anti-doping agencies.”

So only the Spaniards will go free?

Reactions: Joelsim
Even after Spain updated their anti-doping laws in 2012 (which was to protect Spanish athletes caught before that) we still have this as part of the Spanish anti-doping laws:
"The purchase and use of banned substances in sports is not a criminal offense in Spain, but is punishable by up a suspension of up to four years. "
With the Spanish anti-doping authority stating they will deal with Spanish athletes and won't send their names to other organizations, the feel is they are fully intent on protecting their own athletes. This is feeling like Operation Puerto II.

Last edited:
"I hope we will start receiving names from the court next week, and we will start working on it," Terreros said. "We will deal with Spanish athletes, the rest will be sent to the World [Anti-Doping] Agency for distribution by their corresponding national anti-doping agencies."

"The EPO was of first quality and without expiration, but the sellers, although they sent it in containers that apparently kept them cold, had not stored it cold, so it would surely not only be ineffective but also dangerous for the health of those who would inject it," Terreros said.

Cyclingnews: Spanish Civil Guard Dismantles Massive EPO Trafficking Network

Stored at the wrong temperature, ordered over the Internet? This makes me doubt whether a lot of big names will be involved. Well, since we've moved on to the New Cycling in 2007 no one we know could possibly be involved. :wink:

"I hope we will start receiving names from the court next week, and we will start working on it," Terreros said. "We will deal with Spanish athletes, the rest will be sent to the World [Anti-Doping] Agency for distribution by their corresponding national anti-doping agencies."

"The EPO was of first quality and without expiration, but the sellers, although they sent it in containers that apparently kept them cold, had not stored it cold, so it would surely not only be ineffective but also dangerous for the health of those who would inject it," Terreros said.

Cyclingnews: Spanish Civil Guard Dismantles Massive EPO Trafficking Network

Stored at the wrong temperature, ordered over the Internet? This makes me doubt whether a lot of big names will be involved. Well, since we've moved on to the New Cycling in 2007 no one we know could possibly be involved. :wink:

This part makes me feel this is a lower end ring. Then add that amateurs are part of the people ordering from this. It's unlikely at least athletes with top teams are using this.

This subject could go a little wider also. Spain is certainly not amongst the worst but..the non criminalization of buying,possession and use of prescription drugs is a a world wide problem and looks to have all the components of a pandemic.
forget that often athletes self prescribe and administer complicated drug use regimes..people the globe over are walking into pharmacies and buying and using drugs like antibiotics that are helping accelerate the mutation of super bugs, drug resistant strains of all kinds of deadly outcomes.
Still think back to guys having overnight death from what was described as pancake syrup blood. That information didn't scare almost anyone..especially the most motivated to dope.

TRENDING THREADS