• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
Movistar with the brilliant Jumbo strat to take out a lot of the big sprinters so their own can make the podium.
I actually forgot about this race and turned in with 1k to go, so I didnt see it, but Im sure there were no bad intentions behind it. After all Movistar should be relatively set after all, and I still doubt that if they had been in real danger stuff like that would happen.

Funny thing, I remember me and my friends vividly discussing that tactic from T-Mobile and CSC back in the mid 00s against Armstrong. It never materialized, and thank god for that!

Oh, please, anybody could have slipped there.

Sometimes people really make the most absurd causality calls on this site...
Could they? How would you go about proving that?

My point was that it was Movistar. And I can't remember the last time I saw one of their riders leading the build-up to a sprint in a Belgian one-day race. It is not something they are accustomed to. Doesn't seem that outrageous a claim.

Reactions: Danskebjerge

My point was that it was Movistar. And I can't remember the last time I saw one of their riders leading the build-up to a sprint in a Belgian one-day race. It is not something they are accustomed to. Doesn't seem that outrageous a claim.
Lol this is absurd. It’s just like any technical rainy finish anywhere, whether they are the peak Quick Step train or an inexperienced one, people can fall. It’s not the best finish, but sh*t happens. Not worth crying over spilled milk.

Lol this is absurd. It’s just like any technical rainy finish anywhere, whether they are the peak Quick Step train or an inexperienced one, people can fall. It’s not the best finish, but sh*t happens. Not worth crying over spilled milk.

I don't/didn't really have any preference for riders or teams in this race. Pretty much neutral regarding the result, except how it might affect the points situation. I honestly don't understand the reactions to my post. If it was a rider from say, Minerva, I expect it would be proposed that this would partly due to their inexperience at such at point in the race. Movistar do not normally ride this type of race, let alone be there at the end.

I don't/didn't really have any preference for riders or teams in this race. Pretty much neutral regarding the result, except how it might affect the points situation. I honestly don't understand the reactions to my post. If it was a rider from say, Minerva, I expect it would be proposed that this would partly due to their inexperience at such at point in the race. Movistar do not normally ride this type of race, let alone be there at the end.
It’s pretty ignorant of you to suggest it’s completely the inexperienced riders, when they are not and it’s slippery. If you don’t want reactions, then word it better. Still, Movistar have ridden with sprint trains in wet conditions.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thank you. Not the first time that's happened this year and I think the experiment of using him as a sprinter hasn't worked. Really interested to see how he does in the classics next season though, and he already looks like a good prologue rider.

I suppose Morkov should have looked behind earlier but he was so far in front that he'd have had to crash for Vernon to finish ahead of him. I also think QS might have miscalculated the points as the guy who won the stage also picked up a load of intermediate points. Anyway they got the yellow so in the three way race for most wins this season they edge above UAE and Jumbo which probably keeps old Pat happy enough.

Serrano (a rider I'm really starting to like) sprinted with MvDP and Girmay last week at GP de Wallonie.

It’s pretty ignorant of you to suggest it’s completely the inexperienced riders, when they are not and it’s slippery. If you don’t want reactions, then word it better. Still, Movistar have ridden with sprint trains in wet conditions.
Something might be getting lost in translation here, and it's heading towards the personal. So I'll just agree you're completely correct, and I'm wrong.

Yes, I'm starting to like him too. Mixed in with a bit of shame as was at the start of the last TOB stage, fanboying outside the Ineos bus, completely ignoring the race leader who it turned out was just behind me.
He could be the new Erviti who I’d always hoped would win a big classic. Hopefully we’ll see Serrano do a lot of the spring classics next year.

Reactions: postmanhat

TRENDING THREADS