• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is no way to justify a 1.1 race win attracting more points than a GT stage win - GT stage wins should get 300 points as they are the pinnacle of the sport alongside monuments.

I agree the system needs better weighting, and this is one such example, but it will never be perfect and please all- for example i would strongly push back on the suggestion a GT stage win should equate to the same as a monument…

I can see the point of giving G.T. stage win more point than 1.1 race win. However, I still can also see the reason behind the opposite, as I stated in my previous post. But my main point is the near impossibility of creating a point system that please everyone. And it has even to start from rating every race 'correctly', which is also not easy, to make sure that the point system won't result into a weird ranking (if they want to keep ranking important). I mean not every 1.1 race has equal field and equal possible winner. Except if they want to make a relative tiering system according to field strength.

he couldn't improve Movistar's score anyway (as he is way behind the 10th best rider). Were points really the reason he abandoned the Tour?
I didn't realise that. If it was points, were Movistar not aware of this? If it wasn't to do with points, as you say what actually was the reason. To be honest, looking at the results of the whole race it's not as is he was on a very hot streak of form either.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I didn't realise that. If it was points, were Movistar not aware of this? If it wasn't to do with points, as you say what actually was the reason. To be honest, looking at the results of the whole race it's not as is he was on a very hot streak of form either.

Not really, no. And as far as I can see, even a win (+125 points) would have only equaled him with Pedrero in 10th of Movistar's internal rankings, meaning no additional points for them (unless they expect him to score much more the coming weeks).

it's Gorka's home race, but would still be fairly odd to take him out of the Tour just for that.

Vuelta a Castilla y Leon (two days this year) will be live on Youtube, broadcast starting at 16:00 today with the finish expected two hours later.

Startlist - featuring Nibali, Chaves, Carthy, Simon Yates, Nizzolo among others

Today's stage:
vuelta-a-castilla-y-leon-2022-stage-1-profile-40fc9e7dd3.jpg

Reactions: TourOfSardinia

TRENDING THREADS